Thread: Sam Crocker Design Query

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Question Sam Crocker Design Query

In reading through back issues of the online, sister publication Small Boats Magazine, I ran across a reference to a 30' outboard powered motor boat designed by Sam Crocker.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/articl...utboard-skiff/

The article is focused on his smaller design #283. The larger 30' is mentioned, but not noted by design #.

"Whitin sold ’Long Shore after five years, replacing her with a 30′ version “though still outboard-powered and still designed by Crocker.”

I do not own the (now out of print) catalogue of Sam Crocker's designs, but would be willing to pick one up if I thought that design was included. I am unable to find a table of contents to see if it is in that book.

Can anyone shed some light? Know the design referred to in the article? Have a copy of the design catalog on your shelf and willing to see if it is included? Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Sam Crocker Design Query

After some poking around online, it might by plan #289 I'm after...
    Thanks.
    -Jim

The plan is in the book, 292, Stromboli, with LONG SHORE one of three built to the lines.

Design #289 is not in the book. But there is #292, the first of which was called Stromboli, 30' x 10'6", and built in Wakefield, Mass. Two further boats built to this design were Lively Lady and Long Shore for Paul Whitin. The drawings show inboard power with a straight shaft, but Long Shore is reported as "glued strip construction using 1-1/4" cedar strips and had twin 70-horsepower Mercury outboards for power. She cruised at 22mph with a top speed of 28 mph, almost 10 mph faster than Lively Lady with inboard power. The acceleration of this boat was unbelievable."

While the outboard profile of this boat (in the book) is crisp, the lines, construction, and arrangement drawing reproduction is sketchy at best. They do serve to pass on the general idea.
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Design #289 is not in the book. But there is #292, the first of which was called Stromboli, 30' x 10'6", and built in Wakefield, Mass. Two further boats built to this design were Lively Lady and Long Shore for Paul Whitin. The drawings show inboard power with a straight shaft, but Long Shore is reported as "glued strip construction using 1-1/4" cedar strips and had twin 70-horsepower Mercury outboards for power. She cruised at 22mph with a top speed of 28 mph, almost 10 mph faster than Lively Lady with inboard power. The acceleration of this boat was unbelievable."

While the outboard profile of this boat (in the book) is crisp, the lines, construction, and arrangement drawing reproduction is sketchy at best. They do serve to pass on the general idea.

This is perfect. I will go ahead and find a copy of the book and maybe give the boatyard a call as well as I understand they have the family archives of plans and might still have information. Thanks for checking for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    The plan is in the book, 292, Stromboli, with LONG SHORE one of three built to the lines.
    Thank you Thad for checking. I will now pursue further detail.