Thread: Molded and Sided in plans

Default Molded and Sided in plans

Hi- I've been reading some of Mr Gartside's plans and wondered about the usage of "M" and "S" in dimensions of frames. Then, in the latest Wooden Boat, I was reading a delightful article by Laurie McGowan in which she designs a boat for a eleven-year-old girl in Washington state. In Construction Details, the stem, for instance, is described as 'Molded 3", Sided 2" '.

So, light bulb moment.

My question is probably pedantic, at this point, but I just want to nail this down. When this nomenclature is used, am I correct to presume that sided refers to the thickness, meaning the bow-to-stern thickness if referring to a frame, for instance; and that molded means the depth, meaning the inboard to outboard thickness, or depth, also if referring to a frame?

Thanks.

Default Re: Molded and Sided in plans

... I thought I had an explanation and then I reread it and am questioning it. So hopefully someone will come along and clarify for both of us!
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Sided is the thickness of the board that the component, whether it be stem, keel, or frame is cut. The flat parallel surfaces.
    Moulded is the width or depth between the curved or tapered surfaces, on a frame timber the plank fays the outer moulded surface, the ceiling/stringers/risers fay the inner moulded surface.
    So your definition for frame futtocks is correct.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

With frames:

Moulded (or the Moulded Depth) is the dimension from outboard to inboard.

Sided (or the Siding) is the the dimension from one side to the other the fore-&-aft.

With a beam, the Moulded Depth is the dimension top to bottom and the Siding is the dimension fore-&-aft

With a carling, the Moulded Depth is the dimension top to bottom and the Siding is the dimension athwartships

And so on ....

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

As Nick says above. Parts of wood boats are most frequently cut from boards . "Sided" is the thickness of the board. "Molded" is the distance between the usually curved sides.

BTW Laurie McGowan is a "he". His first name is one which is most commonly female, though sometimes male.