Thread: Can anyone help identify a model - Devon lugger or not?

Default Can anyone help identify a model - Devon lugger or not?

I have very little knowledge of historical craft, so would be grateful for any assistance members may be able to give. On holiday in Appledore a few weeks ago, I picked up a model boat in a curio shop. I was attracted by the quality of the workmanship. The attached photos give an idea of the boat. The model is about 600mm long x 150mm wide. It has been damaged in that the two masts have been broken off. I could donate it to a museum if it is of interest. Alternatively I could restore it, but at the moment I do not have enough information to create an accurate model.
    I have only the barest of information, comments from various people, but I have no idea how accurate these snippets are. It has been suggested that
    (a) the model is of a fishing lugger;
    (b) it was built in the Bideford area, possibly Appledore;
    (c) the model was built by a boatmaker to demonstrate to a customer.
    Possibly all of these comments are mistaken, in which any guidance from members of the forum would be welcome.
    Thank you.
    Matthew Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Can anyone help identify a model - Devon lugger or not?

Devon lugger implies fishing craft. Fishing craft did not have the shelter on the stern for the helmsman. She is probably a west country trading ketch like the Bessie Ellen

The model is unfinished as the bulwark should not stop short at the stern like that. She might have been from Appledore, where West Country ketches were built and owned. I doubt whether she was a builder's model to give to a commissioning customer. they were usually half models without the outfit details.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 08-30-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: Can anyone help identify a model - Devon lugger or not?

Thank you, Peerie Maa, for your assistance.
    Matt