Thread: Plan Pointers?

Default Plan Pointers?

Hello!

For my next project, I'm thinking it'd be fun to build something akin to the in-progress boat in the photo below. Anyone have pointers to a plan that would be in line with this? Most plans seem to be (for good reason) focused on simpler construction techniques and lines.

-Ben

Default Re: Plan Pointers?

Is that a fabulously well built model? Or is the guy standing behind it a giant?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

What a very nice model. Looks to be of a small "ship" almost. What real world size was you looking at? It appears to be more of a commercial design than a private yacht.

That's a cool looking boat. I've always been a big fan of Paul Gartsides designs gartsideboats.com . I also like Tad Roberts boat designs tadroberts.ca . Good luck

HA! I just realized this is a 1:10 model. That's hysterical. The page I found the image on is in Portuguese. I was thinking this thing was about 2x as big as it actually is and would be a good 25-30' fish/dive boat for overnighting.

It's actually a small version of a huge vessel built for display in a whaling museum.

You’ve asked a very open-ended question, which will probably result in a lot of wildly divergent answers, most of which will not be what you had in mind.

You will likely get responses that will be more on point if you tell us a little more about what you have in mind for the boat – how you intend to use it, what waters/weather you plan to use it in, how many people and how much gear will be carried, whether short day trips or longer multi-day excursions, and so on.
    Alex

"“I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw” " Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2 - Shakespeare

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Fair 'nuff.

I'm wanting a boat for 2-3 people to take multi-day trips to the Channel Islands (Southern California version, not English Channel version). We do a fair bit of spearfishing, tank diving and fishing, so it needs a reasonable cockpit. The weather in the channel can be unpredictable, so it needs to be seaworthy enough to get home while, ideally, small enough to trailer (25-28' in length seems about right. Max beam, or more accurately max width of the trailer or boat whichever ends up wider, of 102".)

I'd prefer an inboard arrangement though I'm not wedded to it. The primary reasons for wanting an inboard are (1) I'd like to put a big door in the transom for getting in and out, and (2) ideally I'd rig a hydraulic pump off the main engine to drive a little dive compressor so I don't have to have a loud, air cooled gas motor running while filling tanks.

-Ben

I second the motion to study Tad Roberts' designs. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a stock plan that fits your needs.

Here's the Pearson 28' Troller, for example.

-Dave

Here is another one of Tad's that might be closer to what you had in mind. The Garden Bay 23.

gardenbay23-motorsailer-arrangement.jpg

From his website:
    "Garden Bay 23. A small full displacement, easily trailerable motor boat with a sailing option and accommodation for 5 overnight was the criteria for this little cruiser. A stand-up head, decent galley area, and an inside dinette which makes down into a double berth are also included in the accommodation. Her 10’ long open cockpit has plenty of space for fishing, sailing, etc, and transom door gives direct water access. The 16’ mast is mounted in a tabernacle and folds down forward for trailering.

Many are curious as to the effectiveness of such small sails? They really work and do provide “get home” power, aid fuel efficiency, and damp out rolling in a sea. The usefulness of a tiny rig is underestimated. Sailing performance as reported by the owner of my Timbercoast 22 design (hull #1):

Sailing performance: She will do 2.5 knots in 10 knots breeze on a beam reach, about 3 knots in 12 knots, and 4 knots in 15 knots of wind. She will also point upwind at about 60 degrees to true wind angle.“

That’s with an 84 square foot sail plan and displacement of about 4000 pounds. With 122 square feet of sail and a longer waterline than the TimberCoast 22, the Garden Bay 23 will be slightly faster. "
    Alex

"“I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw” " Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2 - Shakespeare

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Benha, I am a keen diver and sailor.
    Had exactly the same challenge so went to a reputable designer here in New Zealand - Owen Woolley, now deceased.
    And he drew up what I wanted. That was in 2001, launched Tusk in 2004 and I still own and use it when not locked down by Covid.
    9.4 metres LOA and 3.1 metres beam. Draws 0.85 metres, shaft drive with a 175hp Nanni marine conversion of a Toyota 1 ZKTE diesel.
    It performs really well - 17 knots flat out or 10 knots all day at 10 litres diesel an hour.
    It has a hold in the large cockpit that we have loaded once with 12 scuba bottles and sleeps 3 in the cabin and one in the cockpit.
    Picture 034.jpg
    Find yourself the engine you can afford to buy - I wanted a Cummins but the Toyota was lot lower cost. But I am very happy with it.
    Then find yourself a local designer and make an appointment. the extra cost of a competent designer who knows your boating area saves you money in the building phase.
    Many designers do not like open cockpits, but when you are diving in your 60s it is a benefit. Only have had two waves in the back in very rough conditions, I should I have stayed home!
    For budgeting purposes, engine, gearbox, rudder, shaft and prop(about 1/3) is the most expensive items, followed by electronics and the nice to have add ons, painting and finishes, then the cost of hull and cabin construction (about 1/3). You can save a lot by putting your labour in for free. Tusk is Lawsons cypress cold molded in two layers to 21mm thick hull with some macrocapa and kauri in various places. Wood is really good. I paid for an experienced boat builder to build the hull and decks to plan. Do factor into your budget the costs of a marina berth to store your boat and at least one annual haul out.

Lough Trip 029.jpg
    P3231786.jpg
    CIMG1196.jpg
    Boat Rollver May 17th - Copy.jpg
    You are keen I would go for it. That model is a nice looking hull. I do not think you need that build complexity for a commercial fishing boat.
    I definitely have not regretted building Tusk.
    Last edited by Don MacLeod; 08-29-2020 at 08:20 PM.