Thread: time to build a classic row boat

Default time to build a classic row boat

After two stitch and glue boats, then one stripper canoe, and then two glued lapstrake, it's time for a traditional built carvel boat row boat. I've been reading the forum and many think it's just crazy to go back in time when boats were build with cotton caulking, rivets and roves, and ribands and spiling etc. But it's like Everest I suppose, can you call yourself a real amateur boat builder if you haven't built one of these, just to see if you can?

Here's my question- any idea of what plans: Has to be 12 feet or under ( reasonable size for my garage), use traditional carvel techniques, have good plans- lofting is fine if needed ( been reading books on it, and want to give it a try if needed). Does not have to be easy, or quick to build- as they say "it's the journey"

While I have your attention; does anyone else feel guilty that you have to stay home during the pandemic a lot more than in the past, and you don't mind it at all? ( get to build boats)

David

Default Re: time to build a classic row boat

While I can't offer any help with plans I can appreciate the desire to build a carvel planked boat, as you say, it's the journey. I get more pleasure out of the creating than the using.

As far as guilt about staying home, hell no! I've carried out a lot of improvements to my Tammie Norrie, got the gunter sloop stand & rig time down from 25 minutes to 12 through improved handling devices and techniques and made a lot of other little improvements.

Catspaw dinghy. 12' 8" but about the most traditional rowboat you can find.
    Plans are well done and there is even a book written about how to build.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Catspaw dinghy. 12' 8" but about the most traditional rowboat you can find.
    Plans are well done and there is even a book written about how to build.
    I was just about to post this exact comment.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Gartside 'Riff' @ 12'3" might fit the bill. She's a sailor, too, but I've rowed the original a bit, and she was great.

Gartside also has a lovely 12'3" double-ended pulling boat that looks like a goer (#126)

For a simpler form (sail & oar punt) there's the Atkin 'Little Peter'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

that looks perfect. thanks

David

The classic Whitehall was carvel below the shear strake. They were evolved to row well and quickly.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...hitehall-Plans
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I had a very traditional copper-riveted lapstrake fir over oak Chamberlain Dory Skiff for 15 years and didn't have a lot of problems dealing with dry-sailing it off a trailer. Will you keep your carvel in the water or a dirt-floored shed?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I was going to suggest looking through "Building Classic Small Craft" by John Gardner (available through the Wooden Boat Store I might add) but I think most of those boats in the 14'-15' range. Seems like twelve foot LOA is on the short end for rowing boats.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

My first build was in glued lap from a set of plans that included full size drawings of molds and bulkheads, etc. No lofting required. That was great, but I felt left out of really understanding the boat's complex form. So I purposely chose a boat that I had to loft for the next build. This boat I also built in glued lap. For me, the build method is less important than the understanding of the form. So the lofting experience proved to be very valuable. Perhaps, David, you don't have the same itch but if it's there at all, I would encourage you to combine both of those personal frontiers on this next build.

Jeff

this one I'll keep in the water. i've run out relatives and friends to build boats for, so the club that I keep my non wood sailboat will keep this to let all club members use it. it will stay in the water; i suppose thats the best way to take care of a carvel boat so the seams stay tight?

David

i agree, i've been reading about lofting and although I think I "get it", if feel that unless I do it, i'll never fully get a feel for it. Ultimately we build these boats for the joy of building more than anything else and the challenge sounds wonderful. I don't think i'll ever be able to take two weeks out of my life to go to the wooden boat school, so It's time to just dive in feet first into this challenge. The forum has my back!!

David

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    I was going to suggest looking through "Building Classic Small Craft" by John Gardner (available through the Wooden Boat Store I might add) but I think most of those boats in the 14'-15' range. Seems like twelve foot LOA is on the short end for rowing boats.
    I seem to remember a Spurling rowing boat of about ten feet that would fit the intended size limit and look good.

The Spurling is a great boat. You could buy my book and probably build it from that. I could send you plans. It's 11'8". The plan shown in the Gardner's book isn't a Spurling, as he points out. The plans I have came from measuring the Spurling in the Mystic collection.