Thread: Going Postal

Default Going Postal

Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs or retards the passage of the mail, or any carrier or conveyance carrying the mail, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 778; Pub. L. 103322, title XXXIII,  330016(1)(B), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2146.)
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Default Re: Going Postal

Lock 'em up!

That would presume that you have a justice department willing to prosecute, eh?

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission after the election is gonna be lit.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The ACLU dropped the ball here. They should have filed a lawsuit. Now it's too late.

Last night Lawrence O'donnell reported Trump is 'trying' to disrupt mail service. "Trying to" implies failure to.

FACT is mail service has been disrupted. Postal Service has been informing states that it will not be able to deliver ballots in a timely manner.

Vote my mail is dead; Trump killed it.

Wear double masks, and stand in line.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

There is a coup in progress, I do not imagine the aftermath will be particularly peaceful.
    Of course another 100,000 may be dead by the election.

….. Ozymandias.

Trump blocks postal funds to prevent expanded mail-in voting

from the BeeB https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-53772526
    President Donald Trump says he opposes additional funds for the US Postal Service as it would boost mail-in voting he claims would help Democrats.
    Mr Trump has previously claimed that mail-in voting would hurt his campaign, which polls show to be in a tight race with Democratic candidate Joe Biden.
    Democrats denounced Mr Trump's comment, saying his position is an attempt to prevent Americans from voting him out.
    A record number of people are expected to vote by mail due to the pandemic.
    On Wednesday, Mr Trump told reporters he refused to sign off on $25bn (19bn) in emergency funding for the Postal Service or $3.5bn for election security due to the high price tag.
    Mr Trump has repeatedly condemned mail-in voting as an opportunity for fraud and election interference.
    On Thursday, he said his reason for blocking the funds was due to his opposition to mail-in ballots.

"They want $3.5bn for something that will turn out to be fraudulent. That's election money, basically," Mr Trump said in a telephone interview with Fox Business Network.
    "Now they need that money in order to make the post office work so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots," he continued.
    He added: "Now, if we don't make a deal, that means they don't get the money. That means they can't have universal mail-in voting, they just can't have it."
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I’m sure this time talking to them politely and treating them as good faith guardians of the USA will change Republicans minds and get them to do what’s right for everyone.

I've read that Trump's attempt to defund the USPS may well backfire spectacularly, as the approval rating for the service is 91% and it is one of the most trusted and depended upon institutions of government in the USA. Maybe a bridge too far for a number of people who may have still been thinking about voting for the orange idiot. Plus he's given Biden/Harris and everyone else who wants Trump gone a big electoral cudgel to beat him with.

Like I said elsewhere, Trump is trying the scorched earth strategy before he actually loses November. The analogy to the final days of Hitler prove instructive. Once the Allies had landed on mainland Europe the Nazi occupation and regime were done for. But it also meant that this period was also the worst in terms of damage and death before the war was won. Here is Trump trying to do the same, and not even attempting to hide his contempt for the institutions that have been the bedrock of success in America.

All the businesses that depend upon the USPS will be angry. All the people that depend upon the USPS for delivery of essential medications will be angry. There is 80 days now for this to boil to a seething rage.

The trials will get great ratings. Maybe someone should tell Trump that!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I have lost all patience I may once have had for these traitors.

How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I have lost all patience I may once have had for these traitors.
    Trump is a mass-murderer now as well. Add that to his wrap.

Normally one to oppose capital punishment, I'd gladly watch Trump swing for his crimes.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

It gets worse:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/polit...nes/index.html

"
    (CNN)The US Postal Service plans to remove hundreds of high-volume mail-processing machines from facilities across the country, leading some postal workers to fear they may have less capacity to process mail during election season.

Documents obtained by CNN indicate 671 machines used to organize letters or other pieces of mail are slated for "reduction" in dozens of cities this year. The agency started removing machines in June, according to postal workers. "

Oh, and this:

"
    (CNN)Postmaster General Louis DeJoy acknowledged to United States Postal Service employees this week that recent procedural changes have had "unintended consequences," but described them as necessary.

"Unfortunately, this transformative initiative has had unintended consequences that impacted our overall service levels," DeJoy wrote in a memo sent this week and obtained by CNN. "

Bull.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

It took 26 days for me to receive a paint color chart from just across the border, and that was before the bloody halfwit got involved. Please please please hang the bastard.

And it gets even worse:

Pelosi says USPS postmaster general told her he has 'no intention' of replacing the sorting machines and mailboxes that have been removed

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    And it gets even worse:

Pelosi says USPS postmaster general told her he has 'no intention' of replacing the sorting machines and mailboxes that have been removed
    Somebody needs to get arrested RIGHT NOW.

this is literally going to kill people. My father is a Disabled combat vet. He depends on medication from the VA to continue on in a semi-healthy manner. That medication is mailed to him monthly. He latest shipment is late and he only has a couple of pills left. He could have the local pharmacy fill it, but then it comes out of the rather limited funds in his pocket. I am willing to pick up the tab on it, but I have been on furlough since march, so my funds are limited too!
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Bannon taken down by USPS investigators. Stamping out crime one issue at a time.

One of the Patrick O'Brian novels has a scene in which a gun server writes 'Royal Mail' on a cannon ball, because interfering with the mail was a capital offence