Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The believed abstraction of a 12 foot clinker dinghy.

Default Re: The believed abstraction of a 12 foot clinker dinghy.

Quote Originally Posted by dsimonson View Post
    Stunning work, Mike. And, I'll add my thanks to you for sharing it with us all, much appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Dale
    My pleasure Dale, thank you for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Janet is just about ready to make a splash.

IMG-6527.jpgIMG-6522.jpg

Should go in Monday depending on the lift schedule.
    The second coat went on ok but not without a visit from a squadron of suicidal sandflies...but they will buff out.
    Varnish work will be completed on the water, needed to concentrate on the painting as the days have been warm and the hull needs a drink.

IMG-6505 (1).jpgIMG-6499.jpgIMG-6500.jpg

This series of images above show the stark interior of Janet.
    The height from the sole at the mast base to the cuddy deck head is about 3 feet.
    Forward of that you can see where the starboard gusset has been removed, this was so I could slide into the forward section of the bow to access the forestay anchor bolts.
    The gap here is about a foot, the forestay bolts are about three feet forward of the Samson post, very tight working space and a bit of a stretch I must say.
    The gussets were placed in when the new deck went on approximately 20 years ago. The work done was a little rustic but effective.
    Apart from new blocking behind the chainplates, I haven't touched a thing. In fact it was a bit dusty up forward.
    Under the sole there are some seriously large floors supporting the mast step which can been seen protruding aft of the forward sole.
    With all these extra supports the hull is now very stable adding to it's longevity and still relatively light at just shy of 3 1/2 tons.
    The original inner diagonal skin timbers and fastening rivets can be easily seen in the lower image.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 12-11-2021 at 05:56 PM.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

Hello Mike,

I'd say that Janet is quite fortunate to have YOU tending to her needs.
    But I think you're lucky too having such a pretty old boat to work on.

Thanks again for showing us what you're doing!

Regards,
    Alan

That paint looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan71 View Post
    Hello Mike,

I'd say that Janet is quite fortunate to have YOU tending to her needs.
    But I think you're lucky too having such a pretty old boat to work on.

Thanks again for showing us what you're doing!

Regards,
    Alan
    Thank you Alan.
    Yes, I do consider myself lucky to be one of the many custodians of Janet.
    The past owners I have met and the stories they have told me of their adventures aboard Janet has been one of the delights of being involved with this boat, feels like you're part of an extended family.
    It may however be coming to an end. There are three partners in the boat, one of which is me. We have known each other for over fifty years and the arrangement has worked well over the nine years we have had Janet.
    Unfortunately one of the partners has moved away, the other partner has increased family commitments and I cannot carry the financials on my own.
    We will all be sailing together this weekend, so discussions on the future of Janet will be had.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    That paint looks amazing!
    Thanks Timo, good camera angles with the light in the right place hides a few blemishes.

Cheers.

Comparisons. Left image 2015. Right image 2021.

launchday.jpgIMG-6527.jpg

Placing Janet back into the water brought to the surface the feeling of anticipation.
    After being out of the water for six weeks there was bound to be leakage, but how much and for how long.
    Well safe to say she is still afloat. There was one leak coming from the portside forefoot area and upon lifting the port sole board immediately found where.
    IMG-6537.jpg
    A message from the past, says it all really.
    This one stopped after an hour or two.
    The current overall leak situation has literally slowed to a weep...which is ok, keeps the bilge pickled.

This drawing was copied from a book and enlarged onto an A2 size sheet of paper. I drew this when I was 17.
    It was rediscovered at my parents house after 44 years.
    IMG-6542.jpg

Hope Janet's future becomes clear, and that all partners can reach consensus-sounds as though you've a compatable group of old friends. Not that you're old, mind you...

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post

Hope Janet's future becomes clear, and that all partners can reach consensus-sounds as though you've a compatable group of old friends. Not that you're old, mind you...
    Apologies for the slow response Brian, but I have been waiting for some interesting developments to accompany it...but nothing has of yet (developed) really

IMG-6555.jpgIMG-6560.jpg
    Janet is back in her happy place.
    Six of us (partners) went sailing last weekend, which was very pleasant and the word that sounded like sail but meant something else was not even mentioned.
    I think when it comes to wooden boats, sentimentality can cloud ones judgement when it comes to the financial and practical aspects of keeping such craft.
    The sale will happen but there is no rush.
    Happy daze, summer is on the way.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Enjoy your sailing season, and hooray for clouded judgement!!
    Brian

Hey Mike
    Long time no post.
    How is the going.
    Happy new year.

Cheers
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Apologies for the slow response Brian, but I have been waiting for some interesting developments to accompany it...but nothing has of yet (developed) really

IMG-6555.jpgIMG-6560.jpg
    Janet is back in her happy place.
    Six of us (partners) went sailing last weekend, which was very pleasant and the word that sounded like sail but meant something else was not even mentioned.
    I think when it comes to wooden boats, sentimentality can cloud ones judgement when it comes to the financial and practical aspects of keeping such craft.
    The sale will happen but there is no rush.
    Happy daze, summer is on the way.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Looking lovely, but what provision for the parking brake?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Looks very nice and sleek Mike!

Happy New Year Mike - ‘hope you’ve been out sailing and enjoying it. Janet is looking terrific, what an amazing job you have done!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Enjoy your sailing season, and hooray for clouded judgement!!

Brian
    Cheers Brian,
    Managed to get out for a couple of solo sails on the last two days of '21, great way to clear the mind for the coming year.
    https://youtu.be/hcYzuVsmMxA

Quote Originally Posted by Max F View Post
    Hey Mike

Long time no post.

How is the going.

Happy new year.

Cheers

Max
    Happy New Year to you Max. All is going well. Started prepping the timber for the dinghy sole and ceiling. I have been procrastinating a little, as removing tacks from recycled timber is not my favourite job.
    I bought 17 Kauri boards measuring 3.5 metres (11.5 feet) long by 200mm ( 8") wide by 19 mm ( 3/4") thick for $100. This worked out about $5.88 per length or $1.68 per metre (.51 cents per foot).
    The downside to this bargain however is de nailing them.
    IMG-6694.jpgIMG-6692.jpg
    The above left image is how they were initially, complete with hessian strands, after the tack removal and a run through the thicknesser, the backside which is rough sawn, comes up quite nicely.
    I will position the patterns in a way that will avoid most of the nail holes. The final finish however will be determined by the number of visible blemishes. We will see.

If you look closely at the Rimu boards positioned near the bottom of this stack, you will see chewing gum stuck to the facing edge. These timbers were salvaged from the demolished work benches of the science block at the local girls high school, the timber and the chewing gum was free.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Looking lovely, but what provision for the parking brake?
    Hi Nick,
    There are a few ideas in the pipeline, something along the lines of a removable spareman. Spareman is a term used here in NZ for a bow roller set up, but here's the thing, the parking spaces in this neck of the woods are few and far between. We only day sail in Janet and rarely anchor because there are very limited options.
    Admittedly it would be prudent to have something ready for the emergency scenarios. Have only had one of those aboard Janet thank goodness, fuel blockage in the outboard motor mid channel, tide on the low side, not a lot of room to maneuver, no wind, dropped the pick, a few funny looks from the passing boaters but saved us drifting into the rocks until we got it sorted.

It will happen, it's on the ever growing to do list.
    HNY.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Looks very nice and sleek Mike!
    Thanks Tim, getting rid of the old bow roller set up was something that just needed to be done, it just looked out of place and a bit industrial.
    Love that wheel on Ninigret btw.
    HNY.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Happy New Year Mike - ‘hope you’ve been out sailing and enjoying it. Janet is looking terrific, what an amazing job you have done!
    Thanks Greg, Happy New Year to you.
    I have definitely been out sailing, I'm on holiday at the mo so may head out again tomorrow.
    I've been having fun heading out earlier in the day so I can sail solo off the berth on the land breeze, then sail back in with the sea breeze later in the day, sharpens the handling skills plus saves dicking around lifting the outboard up and down, in and out, wash down etc.

Cheers.

Janet is now officially on the NZ market. The partnership is moving in different directions, it's been 9 years since purchase and we have had a good run.
    The boat is now in better shape than when we received her, but it's time for her to be moved on.
    Will be getting a few more sails in before selling I'm sure.
    As it is summer here, there are waves to be had as well, which all contributes to the slow progress on the dinghy.

But, there has been some productive activity.

IMG-6734.jpgIMG-6739.jpg
    After the removal of approximately 600 hessian tacks the boards were passed through the thicknesser.
    This particular tool was a timely gift from my father who no longer had a use for it.
    The bigger motor and more robust blades were a good for the initial passes as there was the occasional rogue broken tack tucked away under the surface...there were only about a dozen hits .

IMG-6729.jpgIMG-6730.jpg
    Twelve boards were dressed both sides, down from 19mm (3/4") to 12.5mm (1/2").
    The six sole boards will be 10- 12mm thick with the ten ceiling boards (five per side) progressively getting thinner as they make their way up the side of the hull, probably finishing about 6mm (1/4") thick.
    I have another thicknesser with nice sharp blades for that job.

Now because the boards had been exposed to the weather before I bought them, the rusting tack heads had deeply stained the adjacently stacked board, so my idea of the natural wood finish sole board look has gone out the window.
    IMG-6740.jpg
    The idea now is to paint the boards, then inlay timber strips with a slightly radiused surface.
    The strips will have the natural finish and should contrast nicely against the paint and also create a non skid surface.
    The number and placement of these strips per sole has yet to be determined.

Now, time to lay out a few patterns...or maybe go for a surf, cyclone Cody is sending in a bit of sloping water.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 01-16-2022 at 04:58 PM.

Good to see ya back at it!
    That inlays are very fancy. I´m looking forward how it will lock like.
    On the other side, I could live with some tack marks that show that the wood is recycled.
    The side benches of my Sooty Tern have some. But surely not that many.

Cheers
    Max

Good to see ya back at it!
    That inlays are very fancy. I´m looking forward how it will lock like.
    On the other side, I could live with some tack marks that show that the wood is recycled.
    The side benches of my Sooty Tern have some. But surely not that many.

Cheers
    Max
    Hi Max,
    Yes, back into it, though somewhat stop and start, to many distractions from the abstraction.
    The inlay idea appeals, this will allow me to use some nice blemish free lengths of timber.

IMG-6742.jpg
    The rust stains are rather deep. I have removed about 3-4 mm off each side of the board and they are still obvious but less so, paint will take care of the rest. The timber is firm.
    I will not bother with Oxalic acid or whatever. I have aired these board for a while now and have the moisture content down to about 10%.
    But look at that grain, close, straight, knot free and runs the length of the board, the privilege of using Kauri, makes removing all of those tacks worth your while.

Cheers,
    Mike.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I have done "cut-'n-shut" with similar boards in the past. Run a saw through the line of flaws/ marks, plane the edges, then glue it back together. It's usually pretty nearly impossible to find the join afterwards. Not ideal if you are down to your final thickness, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-in-Suffolk View Post
    It's hard to tell from the photos, but I have done "cut-'n-shut" with similar boards in the past. Run a saw through the line of flaws/ marks, plane the edges, then glue it back together. It's usually pretty nearly impossible to find the join afterwards. Not ideal if you are down to your final thickness, though.
    I hear you Mike and thanks for the idea but in this case the blemishes are too numerous, which would result in a board of a somewhat diminished width.
    As it stands, the boards are 200mm wide, this will allow just enough to cut each of the curved sole boards complete from one plank and two curved ceiling battens per plank.
    I'm liking the idea of these inlays and I think they will make for a nice contrasting detail on the sole against the paintwork.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 01-19-2022 at 03:56 AM.

Hello Mike,

Happy New Year!

I am sad to think of you giving up Janet!
    Your link to the video really brought home to me what you're losing!
    I have a car that I've had since it was new 50 years ago and it's time for it to go. Some times when I think about that it's like someone gives me a punch in the gut.
    It makes me feel a bit sick.

A lot of work on those boards that has given you some beautiful material to work with.
    I continue to look forward to you posts to see what you're doing.

Regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan71 View Post
    Hello Mike,

Happy New Year!

I am sad to think of you giving up Janet!
    Your link to the video really brought home to me what you're losing!
    I have a car that I've had since it was new 50 years ago and it's time for it to go. Some times when I think about that it's like someone gives me a punch in the gut.
    It makes me feel a bit sick.

A lot of work on those boards that has given you some beautiful material to work with.
    I continue to look forward to you posts to see what you're doing.

Regards,
    Alan
    Hi Alan,
    Happy New Year.

No need to feel sad, I'm not...kind of. Sure, Janet will be missed but she has to be sold first and that could take a while...boats, easy to buy, hard to sell... but it's been a fun ride all the way.
    Just to put things in perspective, over the last month I have been helping my elderly parents to prepare and move from the family home after 67 years of occupancy, now that's a load of memories to consider.
    The idea to sell Janet has been around for a while but everyone ( partners) had to agree to do so and no pressure was put on anyone to speed the process up, things just fell into place over time.
    As far as the ol' car goes, keep hold of the memories, sell it to someone who will look after it and as Neil Young wrote about his old hearse... "long may you run".

More on the dinghy soon, keep smiling and thank you for your thoughts.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Indeed, that kauri is amazing wood. Good that you got hands on the old furniture and construction wood.
    Looking forward for more.
    Cheers
    Max with morning coffee

So, after a three and a half month hiatus from the dinghy,( that long...jeepers), due to my energies being required elsewhere, I'm back into it, as of this afternoon.

Having already made the sole and ceiling patterns and milled up the necessary timber, the next step was to select a suitable piece where the pattern could be laid on top of the board in such a way as to avoid as many nail holes and defects as possible.
    As can be seen in the last images of this post, the boards are now relatively clean. They will eventually be painted with clear inlaid Kauri strips ,slightly raised, to offer some grip underfoot.

IMG-6761.jpg
    The boards are 200mm (8") wide, the first two sole boards measure only 150mm (6") at the widest point. This meant that the pattern would fit in between the major nail holes, eliminating them from the finished board.
    Setting one edge straight on the jointer the pattern was positioned in the appropriate place, marked, then ripped and dressed along the pencil lines.

IMG-6765.jpgIMG-6769.jpg
    The cut outs of the mid board and curved edge of the second sole board were completed with a jigsaw just outside the marked lines.
    Using the drum at the end of the edge sander the cutouts were dressed up to the line, the long curve was also completed this way on the main belt.
    The cutouts were finished by hand sanding to remove any small irregularities, the long curve did not need this as the belt produces a nice fair curve...as long as you keep the work moving.

IMG-6767.jpgIMG-6771.jpg
    The first two boards are now positioned and are held temporarily in place with nails that have been lined up with the original pattern screw holes.
    The ends will be trimmed once the three sole boards each side have been glued to battens that will hold them permanently in position. Trimming and sanding the ends in this way allows for a fair curve with an even distance away from the bulkhead, otherwise they never look right if they have all been done separately.
    The sole boards will be removable in four separate units. there will be a join along the top of the rib just aft of the DB box. Toggles will hold each unit down.
    The boards will have a final run through a drum sander to remove the machining marks before permanent assembly.

Indeed, that kauri is amazing wood. Good that you got hands on the old furniture and construction wood.
    Looking forward for more.
    Cheers
    Max with morning coffee
    Hi Max,
    As you can see I'm back into it. The Kauri boards have come up better than expected.
    I'm always on the lookout for recycled Kauri or any NZ native timbers for that matter.
    Sometimes you find some real diamonds in the rough as they say.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Aaaah finally you are back. Nice!
    Was it allready 3 and a half months? Wow!

Cheers
    Max

Aaaah finally you are back. Nice!
    Was it allready 3 and a half months? Wow!

Cheers
    Max
    Cheers Max, yes, time waits for no one, better get a wriggle on.

Managed to fit the third sole board today. The stock was just wide enough to get the curved shape out of one piece, though it did mean there will be a couple of nail holes to fill.
    Just a reminder that the black smudges are iron stains and not rot...if anyone was wondering.
    IMG-6777.jpgIMG-6778 (1).jpg

The port sole patterns were flipped over to the starboard side and fixed into position to double check the fit, all good.
    The measuring batten for spacing the ceiling battens was placed along each frame against the edge of the outer most sole pattern to gauge the symmetry and fit of the ceiling battens.
    I was pleasantly surprised , the batten fit snug on each frame except the aft one by the bulkhead (5 mm to long).
    The reason for the surprise is that the hull itself is slightly asymmetric, not much, hard to pick up by eye but it's there, so it will be interesting to see how well the port ceiling patterns fit the curve of the starboard side.

The six sole boards have been shaped and fit into place. They will be run through a drum sander to finish off.
    IMG-6794.jpg
    That will not happen until next week though as I'm off to Auckland tomorrow for five days to compete in the Classic Yacht Regatta, sailing on the mighty 1905 gaffer Rawhiti. Forecast is windy.

Lookin good Mike!
    Raahiti sounds like a awesome reason to skip to sailing.
    Have fun
    Cheers
    Max

Wow, nice work continues...I quite like your diligent efforts to reuse that exceptional timber! And, very nicely fitted...my view of the nail holes and stains is that the timber is so good (my own big boat is Kauri-amazing, beautiful stuff!) that small stains like that are just part of the history of the material, and that it is going to a better use...
    carry on, please, and continue to share, when you have time and energy!
    Brian

Lookin good Mike!
    Raahiti sounds like a awesome reason to skip to sailing.
    Have fun
    Cheers
    Max
    Thanks Max.
    I did have fun. We only sailed 2 of a potential 5 races because tropical cyclone Dovi decided to pay us a visit.
    Here is some brief footage of the first race. It was gusting 25 knots plus at times, exhilarating stuff.
    We finished second in this one, the difference in time between first and third was 10 seconds...yep, it was close alright.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Wow, nice work continues...I quite like your diligent efforts to reuse that exceptional timber! And, very nicely fitted...my view of the nail holes and stains is that the timber is so good (my own big boat is Kauri-amazing, beautiful stuff!) that small stains like that are just part of the history of the material, and that it is going to a better use...
    carry on, please, and continue to share, when you have time and energy!
    Brian
    Thanks Brian.
    The yacht Rawhiti in the above video has been restored completely with Kauri (clean, not used). The decks are teak but everything you see, bar the spars, is Kauri. Beautiful work, the skipper of the boat spent six years restoring her for the then owner and now fate has brought it back to him. He says he has to pinch himself sometimes because he cannot believe he now owns such a boat and what he considers some of his best work...and he has done plenty of good work.
    Back into the dinghy tomorrow
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Back into the dinghy.
    The next exercise is to make the ceiling battens. These are the five strips either side that lay against the sole boards and finish up beneath the stringer.

IMG-6822.jpg
    As can be seen in this image the battens at the bottom of the photo are more curved, this is because they are the ones closest to the middle of the dinghy where the lay is more full.
    The battens straighten up as they make their way up the hull side and the lay becomes less so.
    Seeing these pieces on a flat plane shows how the gaps splay towards the ends but when placed in their curved dimension the edges become parallel.(post #622)
    An example of why spiling works I suppose.

IMG-6814.jpgIMG-6772.jpg
    The patterns were then placed on the stock to make sure I could get two pieces out of one board.
    A more curved pattern was matched with a straighter one and this worked fine.
    Lines were marked for pattern 1, this was then cut on the bandsaw allowing a few mm outside the line for any adjustment that may be needed.
    A small marker gauge was made up from two nails and a block. One nail was driven through enough to lay against the edge of the adjacent board .The other was driven through so the point was just protruding.
    Placing the new batten in position, the gauge was run along the edge of the existing board. This produced a more accurate parallel mark.
    The final finished width of the board would then be marked off this. Each batten is 82 mm in width for the full length.

IMG-6841.jpg
    In this photo the board has been screwed in place. The narrowing of the gap forward is due to the sole board being on a flat plane while the ceiling batten is on the curve.
    There is still a little more work to be done on that area of the sole board by the way of a tapered block that will transition the flat to the curve. Some sculpting to be done.

IMG-6824.jpg
    Before finally screwing the batten in place there was a small issue to address in the way of a gap between the batten and the frames.
    I will deal with this in the next post, photo allowance has run out.

So there was only one option in my mind to have the batten lay fully against the frame without reducing the edge thickness through fairing the bottom plane.
    I would make up small curved packing pieces that could be glued to the underside.

IMG-6818.jpgIMG-6825.jpg
    A profile gauge was used to obtain the curve, this curve was transferred to a block, another option is just to hold the block in the correct position and using the frame and a steady hand, run the marker along the block.
    The block was then shaped on the horizontal belt sander ( a very handy piece of equipment that I recommend one should get if the opportunity arises).

IMG-6827.jpg
    The straight side was first cut out on the bandsaw, a block was the hot glued to the curved side so the flat could be finished off to the correct thickness on the belt sander ( did I mention that was a handy piece of kit).

IMG-6839.jpgIMG-6838.jpg
    The curved packers are all different of course, each one was glued into it's relative position.
    The somewhat fuzzy right image shows the result.
    The battens will be fastened with two silicone bronze countersunk raised head slotted screws at each frame (on back order... 2-3 weeks apparently).
    Now to repeat this process nine more times.

Good work mate, good work!
    Cheers
    Max

Good work mate, good work!
    Cheers
    Max
    Thanks Max,
    Just completed another this evening.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

The Wednesday evening ceiling batten is on, at this rate the port battens should be completed by Friday.
    IMG-6861.jpg
    A little filling and sanding followed by a 3 mm radius quarter round edging will finish them off...for now.