Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6151617 LastLast

Thread: The believed abstraction of a 12 foot clinker dinghy.

Default Re: The believed abstraction of a 12 foot clinker dinghy.

Quote Originally Posted by Max F View Post
    A+ for these tubings.
    Gluing them in with a dowel was a smart move too.
    Well I wouldn´t have expected less.
    Cheers
    Max
    Thanks Max.
    The thwarts also have a shallow rebate at each end on the underside that forms a small shoulder which sits against both the DB case and the wedge block.
    The main load though will be taken mainly by the thwart end in the DB case socket and the tubes/bolts at the wedge block end.

Cheers.

The thwarts have had three coats of epoxy on the clashing strips, the last coat containing the 207 hardener.

IMG-6055.jpg

The mid section has had one coat of primer and two undercoats for the moment. This will be sanded prior to finishing.
    The tape was removed to avoid glue tape separation from being on to long. I still have to decide what the final colour is going to be and that could be a while.

Finally got into a job that I have been wanting to complete for ages. This is the final shaping of the DB top frame now that the thwart socket position has been established.

IMG-6026.jpg

The dagger board was placed into the slot and the perimeter shape of the handle was drawn onto the top.
    Lines were drawn around the frame as a symmetry guide.
    Using a 4" grinder and a 60# flap disc a series of bevels were made around the frame.

IMG-6035.jpgIMG-6033.jpg

When looking about right, I set to with a long length of 80# sandpaper around the curve, checking every now and then with a contour gauge to make sure the sides were a mirrored shape.

IMG-6063.jpg

When satisfied the shape was right , a coat of epoxy was applied to the bare timber. The complete frame and logs will be given one more coat of epoxy before being painted.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

Well, the DB case got two coats of epoxy ,one of primer and two undercoats.
    I think the trickiest part of this build will be deciding on what colours to use.
    Now that there was some colour, albeit white, I assembled the thwarts and case together to gauge the look.

IMG-6085.jpgIMG-6091.jpgIMG-6095.jpgIMG-6102.jpgIMG-6108.jpg

The dolphin needs another coat, that's easy, as for the rest, well I'll just keep exploring colour combinations, may even stick to the white.
    The sole boards will add another dimension as well, so that may be the next project.

very nice !!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

That is really quite something Mike. Lovely work.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    very nice !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
    That is really quite something Mike. Lovely work.
    Thank you gentlemen.
    I'm currently scrolling through a website titled "100 color combinations and how to apply them to your designs"... to much choice me thinks

Cheers,
    Mike.

There has been a little sole searching going on this week.
    I have been scrolling through images of dinghy soles to help fire up the creative neurons.
    This dinghy is wide and flat for the most part and most of the images are of narrower boats, so not a lot of help really.
    I did however find one image showing a wider central plank with the adjacent planks getting narrower the more outboard they went, which piqued my interest.

IMG-6128.jpg

Using 4.8 mm (3/16) mdf panel, I made up planks 150 mm ( 6") wide with a 10 mm gap, this would span the widest floor to the turn of the frame.
    These planks will eventually be connected underneath with an athwartship batten and fastened with toggles to allow them to be removed as one piece.
    The sole boards will abut athwartships along the floor directly astern of the DB case making up two pieces for the length.

IMG-6141.jpgIMG-6131.jpg

Using a flexible batten tucked under the bottom edge of the stringer and set along the top edge of each frame , marks were then placed along the outer plank which was then cut to shape.
    This creates an edge parallel to the stringer. The ceiling batten markings on the flexible batten were then transferred to the top edge of the frame.
    The left image shows the first ceiling batten pattern in place.

IMG-6140.jpg

The batten shapes are obtained using a spiling batten allowing for a 10mm gap between each one.
    There will be five battens the same width for the full length, 10 mm (3/8") thick and finish 10 mm under the stringer. The permanent battens will be fixed with exposed screws and cup washers.
    This whole exercise for the moment is to gauge the look and see if it appeals to the eye.

Lookin good! So so was it a help seeing 100 colour combinations?
    Another option could be to follow the planking lines instead staying parallel to the stringer.

Cheers
    Max

Lookin good! So so was it a help seeing 100 colour combinations?
    Another option could be to follow the planking lines instead staying parallel to the stringer.

Cheers
    Max
    Hi Max,
    Yes, regarding the colour combos, it was a help, a good exercise to broaden the mind.
    I selected a few options and a pattern started to emerge but it's still a work in progress.
    As for following the planking lines, and thank you for the suggestion, I wanted to keep the edges of the ceiling lining patterns parallel and not tapered at the ends, just to get an idea of that overall look.
    The linings are also a work in progress, ideas change, it's what makes this build so enjoyable.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Finished fitting the last ceiling batten profile this evening. Must say ,I like the look.
    The photos do not do it justice really but the shadow lines and intermittent frame details set things off quite nicely.

IMG-6152.jpgIMG-6153.jpg

The internal profile is more pronounced, plus with a split colour between the sole boards and the ceiling battens to come, the detail will be highlighted even more.

IMG-6149.jpgIMG-6151.jpg

These patterns were fit straight off the bandsaw. The permanent battens, because they will be thicker, will require a slight beveling of the edge to maintain an even 10mm gap.
    At this stage I'm thinking that the sole boards plus first batten will have the natural timber look and the remaining four battens will be painted.

IMG-6154.jpg

The top batten has an edge recess under the thwart to allow for wingnut access.

Are you 100% sure? I find the contrast between the wide boards at the bottom and the narrow boards up the sides just grabs my eye a little too much. Particularly at the forward end, it just looks a little jarring, to me, to go wide, wide, very narrow, then wider, wider, wider...... Also, the transition from straight boards on the sole to parallel-but-curved boards up the sides happes all in one board, leaving that board looking somewhat out of place. Seems a pity to me after such beautiful work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Finished fitting the last ceiling batten profile this evening. Must say ,I like the look.
    The photos do not do it justice really but the shadow lines and intermittent frame details set things off quite nicely.

IMG-6152.jpgIMG-6153.jpg

The internal profile is more pronounced, plus with a split colour between the sole boards and the ceiling battens to come, the detail will be highlighted even more.

IMG-6149.jpgIMG-6151.jpg

These patterns were fit straight off the bandsaw. The permanent battens, because they will be thicker, will require a slight beveling of the edge to maintain an even 10mm gap.
    At this stage I'm thinking that the sole boards plus first batten will have the natural timber look and the remaining four battens will be painted.

IMG-6154.jpg

The top batten has an edge recess under the thwart to allow for wingnut access.
    The line between the third board and the first batten jars on my eye. I think that it would look better if the curve was straighter without any inflection in the line.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Now I know why you wanted to stay parallel. Wow, that rocks,

Thank you gentlemen for the above comments and input, dually noted.
    Unfortunately the photos distort the proportions somewhat, the ceiling battens for instance are actually all the same width , apart from the second batten of course which has a piece missing at one end.
    Happy with the ceiling batten layout, which was the point of the exercise, jury is still out on the sole boards, so I hear what is being said and appreciate the critique.
    The idea now is to even up the sole board widths at the forward end, the aft end will remain as is, due to the flatter and broader run aft.
    Just heading out to the workshop now to adjust, will post the result soon.

Cheers,
    Mike.

I don't mind that pattern Mike. It looks quite organic to my eye and accentuates the swell of the bilge curve. Interested to see the reworked shapes though, since it design by committee!

I don't mind that pattern Mike. It looks quite organic to my eye and accentuates the swell of the bilge curve. Interested to see the reworked shapes though, since it design by committee!
    Haha, I hear you Wayne, the reworking will be subtle.
    The sole boards will be a different colour to the ceiling battens eventually which will highlight the sole shape.
    Cheers mate.

Well never say never. Latest version with altered aft run as well. Still a little tweaking but nearly there.

IMG-6167.jpgIMG-6168.jpgIMG-6169.jpg

The outboard most sole board will be the only piece that has to be made up of widened stock ie two pieces edge glued.

^ Looking much better.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Yep, I like that

Small change, big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    ^ Looking much better.
    Yep, I like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-in-Suffolk View Post
    Small change, big improvement.
    Yes, I agree, thanks gentlemen.

That will be the last post on the dinghy for a while because at 8 am tomorrow, Janet, my 1902 bailey sloop will be coming out of the water for a little TLC.
    She is about 6 months overdue for a scrub and paint plus a few cosmetic touch ups. There is a minor (hopefully) stem issue to be addressed as well.

IMG-1563 (1).jpg

Get her back to looking like this.

In at the storage unit yesterday, free from lockdown, I spied the ill landed, hook planked, snub bowed, overweight only a mother would love spavined 12 ft fish smeared leaky boat I took as a favour to an old friend and yer going to do next.
    20211021_151116.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    In at the storage unit yesterday, free from lockdown, I spied the ill landed, hook planked, snub bowed, overweight only a mother would love spavined 12 ft fish smeared leaky boat I took as a favour to an old friend and yer going to do next.
    20211021_151116.jpg
    That job has just been pushed down the list JB.
    The minor stem issue on Janet has just turned into a moderately large issue.

IMG-6176.jpg

This appeared a few months back and I' m thinking something ferrous this way comes.
    When I originally stripped the hull back to bare wood, this area had a coating of epoxy fairing, seemed solid, so I left it alone.
    Well this morning the grinder came out, removed the fairing and exposed the ol' can o' worms.

IMG-6179.jpgIMG-6185.jpg

Found this steel bolt that had been left in there and encased in what looked like builders bog with epoxy fairing over the top.
    That is a deep dark hole.
    There is another hole , not so deep and dark, just below that bronze plate (part of the forestay fastening)
    The steel bolt may have been part of the old dolphin striker plate,( the Sutherland brothers must have been on a budget) ,it disintegrated when I tried to pull it out.

IMG-6184.jpg

Someone has added a few Kauri blocks to try and shore things up.

Anyway, now I'm removing an internal bulkhead to try and get up to the pointy end to undo that forestay anchoring arrangement.
    So the rub a dub dub from another dimension will have to scare you from above for a little while longer.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Ah!

I get it.... a distraction from the abstraction!
    Janet looks to be quite a sweetie and well worthy of both your eye and skills.

Regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan71 View Post
    Ah!

I get it.... a distraction from the abstraction!
    Janet looks to be quite a sweetie and well worthy of both your eye and skills.

Regards,
    Alan
    Thanks Alan and your right, it is somewhat of a distraction.
    Please excuse the deviation from the regular thread, but it is a wooden boat, that needs repair and a change is as good as a holiday.
    My car is slowly filling up with more gear and materials, certainly makes you appreciate the convenience of working on a boat in the workshop.
    Looking forward to fixing this though. I'm a little annoyed with myself for not digging into this area when I did the original work. Onward and upward.

Cheers,
    Mike.

So this is what the stem looks like at the moment.

IMG-6217.jpgIMG-6221.jpg

Forestay anchor attachment removed, after a few contortionist like moves in a very tight space.
    Plank ends scarfed, stem scarfed ( staggered due to the stem curve and relative to the inner skin and outer plank rabbits), doughy wood caused by the rotten bolt removed. This created a slot as seen in the above image.
    A large lump of what looked like polyester bog fell out when the epoxy filler that was covering it was removed.
    The seawater had penetrated in between the bog and the timber which then corroded the bolt.
    Still plenty of work to be done in this area but needs to dry out a little more.

IMG-6214.jpg

The above image shows the removal of a second copper bolt holding the forward end of a the Kauri forefoot timber that stretches from the lower stem back to close to the forward edge of the skeg block and keel timbers.
    There is a 6mm (1/4") wide , 20mm (3/4") deep gap here between the Kauri forefoot timber and the Pohutukawa stem timber for some unexplained reason.
    The bolt was removed so a scarf (top left image) can be placed over this gap to give it some support, may have to extend it a little further yet.
    Doughy wood was also removed from around this bolt hole, this will be filled with a tapered edged plug before being covered with stem laminates.

So while this has been drying out a little, the anti foul has been removed, the hull above the waterline will get a rub down today and then the partners and I are thinking of getting rid of ...

IMG-6183 (1).jpg

this. Admittedly it's practical, but a little ugly.
    Looking at extending the toe rail and cap to the bow and rearranging the roller placement.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 10-24-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Thank you for taking the time, Mike! I was just thinking about the dinghy thread and your big boat project, wondering how it was shaping up...
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    Thank you for taking the time, Mike! I was just thinking about the dinghy thread and your big boat project, wondering how it was shaping up...
    Brian
    Thanks Brian, things will start shaping up soon, just letting the timbers dry out a little on that stem.
    Meanwhile there has been the enjoyable process of antifoul removal and above waterline prep .

Cheers,
    Mike.

Oh, yes, the inimitable, ineffable joys of antifoul removal!! Only way to the end is through it, carry on...
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    Oh, yes, the inimitable, ineffable joys of antifoul removal!! Only way to the end is through it, carry on...
    BQ
    ...and carry on I did Brian, joy of joys.
    Wasn't to bad really, most of the antifoul had been removed 6 months previously prior to a harbour race, so all that was left to remove was a few crustaceans and a bit of underwater plant life.
    Cheers.

As mentioned, with most of the antifoul removed I took things back a little more than usual, addressed a few minor seam issues ,filled a couple of low spots, feathered a few edges, puttied a few holes, then gave the whole underwater section a complete prime with Multi-Bond Primer. This is described as a "single component premium quality primer based on proprietary synthetic, immersion grade alkyd resins."

IMG-6223.jpgIMG-6224.jpg

Still a work in progress, a coat or two more of primer to go before the antifoul but at least for now it will slow up the drying out of the planks, top sides sanded back as well.

The stem timbers had dried out enough by this stage to get a bit of attention.
    I had a couple of laminated kauri pieces from a now defunct dinghy dagger board case idea, part of one would be the perfect shape to fill the void in the stem.

IMG-5847.jpgIMG-6227.jpg

This piece was shaped to fit snugly into the void.
    The advantages of this laminated block over a solid block is that it will be dimensionally stronger and more stable.

IMG-6234.jpg

The block was epoxied in with 403 filler and fastened with two bronze screws.
    Plastic strips were placed between the inner planks and the stem to avoid any epoxy that squeezed through cracks or small voids in the stem gluing them permanently in place. These will be removed once epoxy has cured.
    A pilot hole had been drilled into the back of the block to locate the tip of a 450mm long, 16 mm diameter spade bit which was passed through the forestay anchor fitting hole in the deck.
    This allowed for a hole with the correct alignment for the base of the fitting to be drilled.
    The pin holes that are seen everywhere are from the moisture meter prongs.

It has now been forecast to rain for five days with strong winds, so a large plastic rubbish bag and plenty of duct tape has wrapped things up for a while.
    Time to get back to the inside job maybe.

Loveley work as usual Mike

That block at the bow, how is it fastend to the hull?

cheers
    Max

Loveley work as usual Mike

That block at the bow, how is it fastend to the hull?

cheers
    Max
    Hi Max,

If you check out the top right photo in post #550 you can see the head of a bronze coach bolt that holds the block back into the apron timber. Glue does the rest I suppose.
    That stem head is an interesting arrangement, not what I would have done but hey, it's there now and seems solid enough... now where have I heard that before.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Hahahahahaha

Well the weather gods have not been kind but progress is being made on the Janet stem.
    The laminating is going well, slow progress initially but now the weather has warmed up I have been able to glue two strips per day.

IMG-6248.jpgIMG-6250.jpg
    With this first short strip, the edges were beveled to follow the line of the hull.
    When the second strip was added, this formed the bearding line for both the inner and outer planks.

IMG-6257.jpg
    With the third strip in place you can now see the rabbit starting to take shape.
    The hood ends of the inner skin have been tidied up with epoxy.
    There is a small gap between the inner plank ends and the rabbit, this will be filled with cotton.
    Just to note, ALL the planks on this boat have an even gap back to the inner skin, meaning they have not been hung with the back edge tight together as with most carvel planking.
    When I initially removed all the old cotton from the seams, the layer closest to the inner skin came out looking like a ribbon.

IMG-6276 (1).jpgIMG-6278.jpg
    The above left image shows the fourth strip in place, this strip was the last to be beveled which now forms the rabbit for the hood ends.
    The right image is of the fifth strip in place, this is now the start of building up the stem thickness to form the bow profile.

The sixth and seventh strips have been epoxied onto the stem.
    These two strips are helping to create some thickness to the upper stem to build out the profile.

IMG-6279.jpg
    The sixth strip finishes at about 2/3rds along the length of repair and the seventh about halfway.

IMG-6291.jpgIMG-6288.jpg
    The last two strips were blended into the stem profile with a four inch grinder followed by a belt sander.
    Final shaping was completed with a fairing batten.

IMG-6284.jpg
    A flexible batten was used to check for fair.
    One more short strip will be glued along the top portion of the stem as I'm not quite satisfied with the shape there.
    Two battens running the full length of repair will then be attached to finish.
    Final shaping of the stem with take place after the plank repair.

A very nice repair and cool to watch your progress.
    Good that the weather was on your side. Something that doesn´t happen often in my place.
    Usually it is the other way. Once you start an outdoor repair, it starts to rain cats and dogs.

Cheers Max