Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The believed abstraction of a 12 foot clinker dinghy.

Default Re: The believed abstraction of a 12 foot clinker dinghy.

Thanks Trev, I'm in a fortunate situation where I can work on the dinghy most days (part of).
    Cheers.

So, I had a dozen knees to make. I decided to go the half lap joint method as a quick and easy option.

IMG-5058.jpgIMG-5060.jpg

The cut outs were made on the router table with a 20 mm straight cutting bit.
    The paired lengths were epoxied together. The patterns were laid over and the profile drawn onto each piece.

IMG-5061.jpgIMG-5096.jpg

The knees were then cut out on the bandsaw and finished off on the belt sander. A small radius was routered onto the inboard arc edge.

IMG-5093.jpg

In the above image the knees are dry fit.
    The inboard end of each knee has been left long and will be trimmed once the final carlin shape has been established.

That second to last floor was to be trimmed flush with the sole board level but I'm now thinking about extending it up the side (a) to take more flex out of the gunnel and (b) to act as a fixing point for some ceiling battens that I am now thinking of adding, more weight I know but I keep envisaging someones boot putting unwanted pressure on the hull.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 06-09-2021 at 05:30 AM.

Lovely curves on the knees Mike.

Lovely indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
    Lovely curves on the knees Mike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max F View Post
    Lovely indeed!
    Thanks for the nice words about my curvy knees guys.

Had to make up a few more to support the aft deck beam and the fore and aft ends of the carlins.
    There will be a traveler attached to the aft deck so there is a little more blocking to go in there.

IMG-5105.jpgIMG-5106.jpgIMG-5109.jpgIMG-5111.jpgIMG-5114.jpg

The knees along the gunnels have now been trimmed to the curve of the carlins.
    A batten was run along the top of the knees to check the curve for fair. This batten will be used as a pattern for the carlin timbers.
    Everything is dry fit a the moment, so before attaching the carlins there is going to be a bit of epoxy sealing and gluing going on to stabilize everything.

Hello Mike,

We've been following your thread since you started to post and as a sucker for curves on boat, you had us on the first few photos.

We especially like the transom seat with it's undulating form and of course - the curved gunwales.

We may not be posting in a few weeks as we're nearing the end of our build, but we'll be following your posts as you create a true piece of art that floats.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Kapiteinterzee View Post
    Hello Mike,

We've been following your thread since you started to post and as a sucker for curves on boat, you had us on the first few photos.

We especially like the transom seat with it's undulating form and of course - the curved gunwales.

We may not be posting in a few weeks as we're nearing the end of our build, but we'll be following your posts as you create a true piece of art that floats.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    Hello Joe,
    Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated.
    Meeting the challenge of minimizing straight lines and flat plane surfaces during this rebuild has certainly had it's rewards and is very satisfying.
    Before the project started I bought a new burner for the steam box thinking it would be regularly used but laminating seems to be the preferred choice of curve and there is more to come.

Well done on your build, may you enjoy many hours of happy boating...I bet your thinking about the next project already.
    Thanks again,
    Cheers,
    Mike.

When setting out the frame spacing the thinking was that the sternsheet bulkhead frame would be enough to support the hull shape and reduce flex in the gunnel area.
    Well, it was for the former but not so much the latter, so I have decided to extend the frame up to the gunnel.
    The frame will help support the side deck, allow for a fixing point for the sternshheet planks, the aft end of the stringer and maybe a few ceiling battens.

IMG-5119.jpg

The same method was used as for the previous frame construction, strips of mdf hot glued together to form a pattern.
    The frame will have a scarfed joint.

IMG-5123.jpg

Two patterns were made with a slight overbend (5mm) allowing for spring back. It looks a little exaggerated in the photo.

IMG-5127.jpg

While the frames are curing, a little pre priming with epoxy is happening.
    The main reason was to seal and finish the outboard edge of the stringers as they will be difficult to get at once fixed.
    May now clear finish the stringers after seeing them like this.
    The knees will get a final coat after they have been epoxied on, they will eventually be painted.

Nice to see your constant progress. As allways a pleassure to follow. Can't wait to see the deck growing. Thumps up man!

I have also been following from the beginning. Every step you take is a real surprise. You are really turning her into something beautiful!

Nice to see your constant progress. As allways a pleassure to follow. Can't wait to see the deck growing. Thumps up man!
    Thanks Max.
    Yes, I can't wait either but before I start on those side decks there are a few small tasks I have decided to complete.
    Firstly, varnish the bulkheads before fitting the frame extensions, knees and carlins.
    This will allow easier access to sand and finish without the added obstruction of those timbers.
    Secondly, temporarily fix the dagger board case so the thwarts can be made and measured to fit the case and stringers.
    The thwarts will be removable so as to create a space for sleeping when camp cruising.
    Thirdly, fit the remaining frame extensions and knees followed by lots of sanding, sealing and painting.
    THEN, aft deck beam, lodging knees ,carlins and added curved laminated carlins to form the shape of the cockpit coaming.
    So ,I guess we will be waiting that little bit longer.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

This image is of a cross section of the last laminated frame that I made up. Finished frame is 30 mm by 30 mm.
    All Kauri, six strips rift sawn from two different lengths of timber then alternated when layered, grains opposed, glued with epoxy and 403 filler.

IMG-5134.jpg

I have been working with timber most of my life and it never ceases to amaze me how strong and light an element you can make with this medium.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I have also been following from the beginning. Every step you take is a real surprise. You are really turning her into something beautiful!
    Thank you Ned.
    I surprise myself at times.
    The ideas are constantly evolving and sometimes come full circle, I am glad that you find this project to your liking.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Well well, these terrible long times...
    That will be hard on me.
    Your detailed descriptions and well explained tasks make this thread superb.
    cheers Max

You’re creating a work of art there Mike. It’s a pleasure watching your workmanship
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 06-21-2021 at 12:52 AM.

Well well, these terrible long times...
    That will be hard on me.
    Your detailed descriptions and well explained tasks make this thread superb.
    cheers Max
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Youre creating a work of art there Mike. Its a pleasure watching your workmanship
    Thanks gents, it is good to know that these posts are enjoyed.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

The week started slow ( boat wise) but managed to shape up the frame extensions and get them dry fit.

IMG-5162.jpg

I nibbed the scarf joint so it would lock itself in and make it easier to fix when gluing up.
    In the right image below, the frames are just sitting in place.

IMG-5161.jpgIMG-5160.jpg

The frame will be permanently fixed once the bulkhead varnish has been finished.
    Managed to finish the week off with a completely sanded dinghy interior.

IMG-5163.jpg

Now it's a case of filling low spots and pin/screw holes, more sanding, 207/ 105 resin coat on the bulkheads, followed by varnish.
    I guess that's enough to think about for now.

So, the original plan was to varnish the bulkheads with three coats of Hempel diamond varnish. This would entail sanding between coats to get that desired finish as per dagger board case.
    There are 90 v grooves in total on those bulkheads, which meant a few hours of sanding ahead.
    A coat of 207/105 epoxy mix was laid on over the already three coats of penetrating epoxy and allowed to cure for four days.
    Now, about three quarters of the way through sanding this coat down prepping for the varnish I realized (eventually) that the finish on the 207 was pretty good.
    That was enough to convince me, I will take my chances with another coat of the 207 and it's UV inhibitor plus a boat cover.

IMG-5180.jpgIMG-5178.jpgIMG-5175.jpgIMG-5179.jpg

The dinghy is hanging upside down to help lessen the dust contamination. Despite my best efforts with a vacuum cleaner, wipe rags, tack cloth and water sprayed floor those little particles still managed to find away in.
    But hey, it's not a super yacht, it'll do, I'm happy, next job.

Superb. I love the crafstmanship and attention to detail. Love the use of reclaimed native timbers. Love the curved forms internally. Not entirely sure about the junction between vertical boards on the bulkheads and the longitudinal boarding of the hull, aesthetically. More power to your elbow, though, and having just found this thread will be watching it until this thing gets wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-in-Suffolk View Post
    Superb. I love the crafstmanship and attention to detail. Love the use of reclaimed native timbers. Love the curved forms internally. Not entirely sure about the junction between vertical boards on the bulkheads and the longitudinal boarding of the hull, aesthetically. More power to your elbow, though, and having just found this thread will be watching it until this thing gets wet.
    Hi Mike,
    Welcome aboard and thank you for your interest and compliments.
    The junction you mention (yes it's not pretty) serves two purposes, firstly, to add strength and support to the frame and bulkhead acting as a bracing element to the hull and secondly, to seal the end grain of the staves.
    By the time the dinghy is finished this junction will be completely obscured by sole boards, frames, ceiling battens and paint.
    There are a few more curved forms planned, which I'm really looking forward to creating.
    Hope you enjoy the journey.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Good morning Mike.
    There is a superyacht standart and that allowes a number of partikels per m too. I think around 5 or 8.
    So you got probably even superyacht standart.
    These groves are a nuisance to sand, hope your plan with epoxi and uv inhibitor workes.
    Never thought about putting such stuff in epoxi. Do you have some experience with that?
    Cheers
    Max

Good morning Mike.
    There is a superyacht standart and that allowes a number of partikels per m too. I think around 5 or 8.
    So you got probably even superyacht standart.
    These groves are a nuisance to sand, hope your plan with epoxi and uv inhibitor workes.
    Never thought about putting such stuff in epoxi. Do you have some experience with that?
    Cheers
    Max
    Hi Max,
    I think my particles per square metre may be a little more than that, but only in certain light angles.
    Actually, I do not have experience with UV inhibitors, I leave that to the experts.
    The 207 West System Special Clear hardener has a UV inhibitor in it already.
    They do say to coat it with a UV filter varnish for a longer lasting finish but as this dinghy will be covered when ashore I am hoping the clear finish will last a while.
    I've read a few reviews about it's use and in some cases it has been used on it's own with favourable results, I guess time will tell.
    Hope all is well with you Max.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 07-08-2021 at 03:19 AM.

Thanks Mike
    All easy here. Got my senses up and did what summer is for. Spend time in at the beach with my lovey and went a little more sailing.
    Inbetween Ive been sanding my butt off to get the brush marks out of the 2part paint at the hull.
    Now it got smooth as can be. Tonight when the heat is gone, Ill paint the the first coat of the real hull color.
    It is a little like waiting for X-mas right now...
    Cheers Max

Thanks Mike
    All easy here. Got my senses up and did what summer is for. Spend time in at the beach with my lovey and went a little more sailing.
    Inbetween Ive been sanding my butt off to get the brush marks out of the 2part paint at the hull.
    Now it got smooth as can be. Tonight when the heat is gone, Ill paint the the first coat of the real hull color.
    It is a little like waiting for X-mas right now...
    Cheers Max
    Nice one Max, enjoy that sun.
    Sailing days here are a bit hit and miss at the moment, though I occasionally get out on the odd sunny but crisp winters day.
    Your doing a great job on that paintwork...X-mas is coming.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

I am now working on a frame that will sit against the base of the forward bulkhead. This will support the forward ends of the sole boards and the ceiling battens.
    Each side will be made in three pieces that will follow the curve of the hull and the curve of the bulkhead in the vertical plane.

I have included a few photos to show the process that is normally gone through to prepare the recycled timber.
    IMG-5194.jpg

A lot of the Kauri that I have been using is old sarking boards, so there are a few hessian tacks to remove.
    I do this with a flathead screwdriver sharpened similar to that of a chisel but also with a V cut into the flat of the blade. This allows the blade to slide under and around the head of the tack.
    The shank is also slightly bent just before the blade to help lever out the tacks.
    IMG-5197.jpg

The boards are then given a vigorous wire brushing to remove any grit, dirt, wallpaper and then blasted with the pneumatic air gun.

IMG-5198.jpgIMG-5201.jpg

The timber is thoroughly inspected before the board is passed over the jointer and then through the thicknesser.
    Depending on the setout many of the tack holes can be avoided but most of this timber will be filled and painted eventually.

IMG-5202.jpg

This piece is in the process of being scribed to fit the battens. It has already been shaped to the curve of the bulkhead and paralleled to an even thickness which has eliminated many of the nail head divots.
    The final shaping will happen when all three pieces have been glued together.

The three pieces that make up the forward frame were dry fit and the scarfs glued up last night.

IMG-5203.jpgIMG-5208.jpg

The land height and bevels were marked and measured to take the lay of the stringer, ceiling battens and sole boards.
    This bevel alters (twists) from gunnel to keel, much like the outside of a frame to take the planks.
    The bevel was then carved out with a 4" grinder with a sanding pad attached and finished off with a fairing block.

IMG-5213.jpg

It's always an interesting exercise making a frame because of the different dimensions/planes involved.
    As these photos below show, a constant arc in one plane but wavy in another.

IMG-5226.jpgIMG-5227.jpg

I had actually brought the frame into the house to weigh it, out of interest.
    It came in at 325 grams (12 ounces).

Now to do it all again on the starboard side.

The forward starboard frame against the bulkhead has been completed and dry fit plus the port frame was reshaped to remove a small flat spot.

IMG-5257.jpgIMG-5262.jpg
    Masking tape will be placed against the bulkhead and hull around the edges of the frame, the frames removed and the epoxy finish between the tape sanded with 80# ,then the frames will be epoxied in.

IMG-5286.jpg
    At the aft end a couple of the sole boards are going to finish in between the last two floors, two pieces were shaped up to support these ends.

IMG-5274.jpgIMG-5284.jpg
    The bottom edge of the masking tape is in line with the bottom plane of the sole boards and ceiling battens.
    Everything below this line will be painted.

So many angles and curves Mike. Such accuracy is beyond me, mate.
    Beautiful and informative pics and description.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
    So many angles and curves Mike. Such accuracy is beyond me, mate.
    Beautiful and informative pics and description.
    Thanks very much Wayne.
    Now, I have seen some of your creations first hand Wayne and I can safely say that such accuracy is not beyond you.
    Glad you enjoy the posts.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Back from high mountains.
    Funny with that constant or wavy arc!
    Again this thread made my morning coffe even better!
    cheers Max

Back from high mountains.
    Funny with that constant or wavy arc!
    Again this thread made my morning coffe even better!
    cheers Max
    Hi Max,
    Nothing like a good dose of mountain air to clear the head and lungs.
    I have been masked up this week avoiding a good dose of timber and epoxy dust.
    Getting everything ready for a weekend of epoxy coating and gluing.

IMG-5293.jpg

I would like to get three coats on all the frames plus part of the keel around the slot, glue in the frames alongside to the bulkheads, attach the knees, then its a rub down and ready for paint.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Well I managed to complete most of the tasks that I had set for myself over the weekend.
    The three coats of epoxy were brushed on the frames over a 6 hour period allowing 2 to 3 hours between coats.
    The masking tape was removed straight after the third coat was applied so that it would not become a permanent fixture.
    IMG-5305.jpg
    The masking tape provides a clean neat finish to the edge which I find makes sanding easier.
    The frames against the bulkhead were given 3 coats and sanded before gluing them permanently in place.
    IMG-5313.jpg
    Plenty of thickened epoxy (413) was used to make sure the voids behind the frame created by the grooves were filled. The grooves were sanded to aid adhesion.
    I applied a bead of epoxy using a plastic sandwich bag, much like a piping bag for icing cakes. This could then be spread easily with a short bristled chip brush.
    The excess epoxy was removed with a chisel stick a la Russell Brown followed by the removal of the masking tape leaving a clean edge.
    I will mask again when the paint goes on.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 07-26-2021 at 05:14 AM.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

Yes, that's a good way of doing it, Mike. Looks Great!
    Ian
    Old Joke: A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship.
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Yo man, voids are the enemy.
    Well done. Good to see parts grow together.
    cheers Max

Quote Originally Posted by IanMilne View Post
    Yes, that's a good way of doing it, Mike. Looks Great!
    Ian
    Yo man, voids are the enemy.
    Well done. Good to see parts grow together.
    cheers Max
    Thanks Ian and Max, it's all slowly coming together, I have just finished sanding the frames ready for paint.
    Had this particular day off work today as I do every year to celebrate my birthday, so not much of anything gets done today.
    Breakfast, surf, lunch, nap, that's about it so far, cake for afternoon tea with family. Work and boat tomorrow.
    Hope you are both well.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Well well, happy birthday mate!
    Have a nice day.
    Cheers Max

Well well, happy birthday mate!
    Have a nice day.
    Cheers Max
    Thank you very much for the birthday wishes Max, it was a good day.
    Cheers.

Back to reality the next day though and back into the dinghy.
    A decision was made to delay fitting the dagger board case and fit the pile of knees that seemed to be either constantly in the way or at the risk of getting lost.

IMG-5295.jpgIMG-5335.jpg

The knees had all been given three coats of epoxy and sanded before fitting.
    The knee and frame surfaces adjacent to the joins were taped up before gluing, this produced a clean join that virtually required no sanding once the tape was removed, as shown in the top right photo.
    The stringer shown is temporarily fit and will be glued in after the hull has been painted.

IMG-5343.jpg

The hanging, lodging knees and aft deck beam were also given three coats of epoxy, sanded and permanently placed into position.

Each carlin has been made up of two full lengths of Kauri, once one length has been glued in place and the glue cured, the other will be glued to it from underneath.
    Each length measures 14mm (9/16) wide by 19 mm (3/4) deep, 38 mm (1 1/2) deep when finished.
    The carlin has to bend to the sheer ( vertical plane) as well as the curve of the cockpit shape ( horizontal plane).
    Making the carlin in two pieces not only makes it easier to bend without twisting but also provides strength through lamination.

IMG-5336.jpgIMG-5334.jpg

Here the top strip has been glued in place, again, I have taped the joins for a cleaner finish.
    A screw has been placed at each end through the lodging knees only, this helps lock the carlin into a sprung position.
    I avoided drilling holes in the carlin so as not to make any weak points which may have cause to snap the carlin when flexed.
    Other side tomorrow.

The decision was made to complete the port carlin first, so the lower portion of the carlin was epoxied on with the help of many clamps.

IMG-5347.jpg

You can never have to many.
    The following morning the clamps were removed and a cabinet scraper was used to clean up the adjoining surfaces, which were then finished off with an 80 grit sandpaper to ready for the epoxy coatings.

IMG-5365.jpgIMG-5354.jpgIMG-5356.jpg

The above photos show the flex in two directions the carlin has to make to fit the profile of the deck.