Thread: A gentle read about the Mystic Seaport Museum

Default A gentle read about the Mystic Seaport Museum

This Museumís Broom Closet Is Actually Full of Historic Boats

A room meant for mops and buckets is now the best-kept secret at Mystic Seaport Museum.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...eid=3fc4de187f
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: A gentle read about the Mystic Seaport Museum

Interesting. Thanks

My neighbor was an old german guy. His father was a carpenter in Austin and he (my neighbor) served in WW2. After he came home, he build the house across the street and lived there with his wife raising 6 kids until she died. He remarried and they had something like 20 good years and she also died. Then he lived there mostly alone until he passed a few years ago. He and I became pretty good friends.

Towards the end, he was sitting in a chair out on the driveway and I went over to chat. He was in his 90s and knew he didnít have long left. He said, ďyou see that oak tree?Ē as he pointed to a large live oak on the next door lot. ďIt was planted by (insert name) in 1956. Itís important that someone remembers.Ē

Reminds me of a bunch of old boats in a back room at a warehouse. They have a story. But slowly they are forgotten. Maybe thatís ok. Maybe not. Itís nice to be able to go back and get a glimpse of the decisions they made before plywood, epoxy, and fiberglass took over. Shame they have been off limits for so long.

Boats like that seem like good candidates for airport displays. Or maybe schools. They are about the right size to be displayed fully enclosed in glass and there is a space for the history on the designer, builder, and story of the particular boat. This exposes lots of young people to an education they otherwise might miss. It also distributes the cost of storage and minimizes the risk of catastrophic loss.
    Last edited by bluedog225; 08-12-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Cool story, thanks for sharing.....

The gentleman being interviewed / profiled in the article about Mystic - Quentin Sneidker / Senior Curator of Watercraft there - is the same super nice guy who took the time last year to send me tracings of the daggerboard, rudder and tiller for the Norsk Nutshell boat I acquired in August 2018 (re-acquired actually, as I owned the exact same boat in the 1980's, then sold it) - Quentin was more than gracious with his time and sent me all sorts of info to try and re-create the other parts of this early 1960's cold molded dinghy....he sent pics of the sails, spars and dimensions as well........great guy and fellow Nutshell / Peanut boat owner!

I had a tour of the "Broom Closet" years ago. It was very interesting. The staff member that was conducting the tour said that it was really a research asset. The boats in there will never be restored, lest they be restored to something they never were. They are authentic old boats. There were some engines in there too.

Thank you for that, I have seen some pics before but the interview is new.

I'vd been thru that building a few times. They usually open it up one day during the WoodenBoat Show. Doug

Have they documented all of them? Taken the lines, scantlings, materials, etc.?

Thanks for this. Visiting Mystic had been a dream of mine for years and in 2018 I finally made it down from Toronto when we added it to our itinerary on a family RV trip to Cape Cod. Was not disappointed.

Sweet. I'll put this on my list of places to see when we visit our son who just moved to New Haven.

I had hoped to combine Mystic Seaport with my grandson's graduation at a nearby college, but Covid changed that.

Love the photos above. They remind me of some of the toy outboards of the 50's that worked until they didn't and we tossed them. Now I see, even not working, they bring a good buck on ebay.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

During my very first visit to Mystic - about 17/18 years ago, I got into a rather long and pleasant discussion with a docent about my growing interest in Catboats. After a bit, he lead me to another building which, I believe, turned out to be the linen mill. I couldn't believe the treasure of old, beautiful boats before me! He gave me a quick tour of the entire trove, ending at more than a dozen Catboats. With that, he handed me his flashlight and told me to take my time and simply return the flashlight when finished. Well- talk about a dream come true! After several hours and dozens of photos, I finally made my way out (in a daze), and yes, I did return the flashlight!!! What a wonderful experience!
    Last edited by GregH; 08-13-2020 at 03:15 PM.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

A video of the Broom closet. Also look for part 1.