Thread: The new electric boats.

Default The new electric boats.

sounded cool till I heard how fast they can go , yea, electric wake boats.

Kinda interesting if it becomes reality. Zin Boats.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/11/zi...la-of-the-sea/
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: The new electric boats.

Hybrid electric boat launches on Halifax's Northwest Arm

A unique new boat was launched Wednesday morning on Halifax's Northwest Arm, carrying with it a smudge blessing from a Mi'kmaw elder and the hope that it can help reduce the carbon footprint of the marine industry.

The Alutasi is the first lithium-ion-powered boat approved in Canada to carry more than 12 people.

The boat is owned by Halifax's Ambassatours and was converted from diesel to hybrid electric by Glas Ocean Electric.

"What's significant about this boat is this carries over 12 passengers, and that's a rating with Transport Canada that requires significantly more safety to be involved," said Sue Molloy, CEO of Glas Ocean.

Smaller recreational electric boats do exist in Canada, but Molloy is excited about the potential for this boat. It will be used for deep-sea fishing tours offered out of Halifax harbour.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...-arm-1.5683828
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

cool, the one thing that harshes my vibe a little on fishing trips is the smell and sound of the engine.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    sounded cool till I heard how fast they can go , yea, electric wake boats.

Kinda interesting if it becomes reality. Zin Boats.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/11/zi...la-of-the-sea/
    I wonder what it does in a chop. How flat is the bottom? I love the idea, but Iím sure the parts costs would be insane to build. They mentioned a hull weight under 2k but that canít be including batteries and drive could it? With a 100 mile range?
    Tom

I t can supposedly beach so probably hell in a chop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I wonder what it does in a chop. How flat is the bottom? I love the idea, but I’m sure the parts costs would be insane to build. They mentioned a hull weight under 2k but that can’t be including batteries and drive could it? With a 100 mile range?
    I suspect that, like my old Mahone Plycraft hull, at speed in a chop it could shake the fillings out of your teeth. By the picture of it snuggled up bow-first on a beach, and by the shape of its wake in the overhead shot, it has a pretty flat bottom, which makes it very efficient on-plane, but not so comfy. I am sure that with carbon-fibre construction and lightweight lithium-ion batteries the 2,000-lb weight is realistic.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.