Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Let's build a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff

Default Re: Let's build a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff

Beautiful, Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Beautiful, Rich.
    Well.... it's coming along just fine, but it ain't quite beautiful yet.

I've got a busy weekend coming up (starting today), so I'll be out of the workshop until next week.
    It's probably good to take a few days break from all this epoxy work.
    Even though I wear a respirator, I feel the fumes and dust can't be doing me any good.
    A few days of fresh air will do me good.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Really coming along Rich. Are you going to give us a hint about your paint plans?
    She looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    Really coming along Rich. Are you going to give us a hint about your paint plans?
    She looks great.
    My paint plans? Yes, I'm going to paint it.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    I like the midnight blue that I see on a lot of these boats. Also thinking of burgundy. Perhaps white for the bottom. Maybe a Grand Banks Beige for the interior. I don't want pure white on the interior because of the glare factor.

I'm still doing the epoxy on the hull. Second filler coat is on. I do one half of the boat per day. One more coat will do it. Then comes the final fairing. I think I've gone through about a $1,000 worth of sandpaper so far...

I ordered the 1/2'" marine ply for the seat bulkheads/center console/floorboards today.
    Covid delay won't have it arriving for another month or so. But, there are things to do until then.
    Installing keel and outer stem, rubrails and I'm also adding spray rails (the advice of one Jericho builder). Then, paint the boat, flip it and glass the inside.

Speaking of paint, I know you've all been on the edge of your seats awaiting my decision on colors.
    I just ordered a deep Flag Blue for the topsides, Burgundy for the bottom and Off White for the interior.
    I'm still debating what trim to varnish and whether the seats will be finished bright. This is a fishing boat, after all, and I don't want to get carried away with varnish.

I'm finally finished with the three filler coats of epoxy, all sanded in between.
    Today, I put a skim coat of 407 fairing epoxy on one side of the hull (other side tomorrow).
    That will be lightly sanded with 120 grit. WEST recommends a sealer coat of epoxy on top of the fairing material. Whether it's really needed or just a way to sell more epoxy, I don't know but I'll do it anyway. Again, 120 grit sanding and I'll finally be done with fiberglassing the exterior.
    WEST 410 is a more easily sanded filler, but because of what's it's made of, they do not recommend it be used under dark paint. Something about heat, hot sun, etc.
    Since I had become quite adept at spackling in my carpentry career, I used my 6" spackling knife instead of those clumsy yellow plastic things sold to spread stuff around. I had much better control with the spackling knife.

IMG_2501.jpg

I think they advise a straight coat to harden up the fairing coat.

Edited to add; Oh yeah Rich, looks good!

I spent yesterday sanding down the fairing coat and putting on the final sealer coat.
    That now needs to be sanded, but not today.
    Today was spent cleaning up the shop a bit and taking a trip to the lumberyard.
    My marine ply for the interior structure had come in and I also picked up some cherry for the rubrails and spray rails.
    The ply is fir and will be glassed.
    Pictured is the chunk of Khaya that will become the keel. You can see the 'hook' that is designed into the hull to supposedly help it get up on plane. I'll be shaping that in the next day or two.

IMG_2503.jpgIMG_2505.jpg

I had to sit in my moaning chair for a bit today.
    While examining that nice piece of Khaya I had for the keel, I noticed what appeared to be a small crack.
    Upon closer examination, I could see that it is a small stress fracture that goes through the whole piece.
    I put it up on two blocks and bounced up and down on it with my full weight but nothing happened.
    It didn't fracture further or show signs of breaking.
    But, this is the backbone of the boat we're talking about so the decision was made to abandon this piece of wood.
    I don't have any more Khaya long enough so I will head to the lumberyard tomorrow and buy some more cherry with which I'll laminate a keel from 3/4" thick pieces.
    Bummer.

IMG_2506.jpg

Is it long enough to cut at the fault then scarf back into one length?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

Jeff

+1 to Jeff's question.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

Jeff
    That was my first thought, but sadly it is not.
    I cut the piece at the fracture and have stored the two pieces on my lumber rack, hopefully to be used at some future date on a not-dreamed-of-yet project.

New keel is all glued up on my workbench.
    I screwed a long piece of pine to my workbench to act as a straight edge to keep the keel nice and straight while gluing.
    I'll shape it tomorrow and glue it to the boat.
    The rest of the afternoon will be spent doing the final finish sanding of the hull.

IMG_2507.jpg

On the right side of the picture, you can see the cans of paint patiently awaiting their turn.

I just finished sanding down the final coat of epoxy with 120 grit paper on the orbital sander.
    Here's my low tech set-up. DeWalt orbital sander hooked up to a small cheapo shop vac. Seems to get most of the dust.
    Also seen is the bucket of fine sawdust and epoxy dust from sanding/fairing the hull.
    Amazing how much there is!
    The resulting mixture of sawdust/epoxy dust is very fine and will be great for making thickened epoxy for fillets, etc.
    I've got enough to last the rest of my lifetime.

IMG_2508.jpg

Keel and stem are now on the boat.
    Once I had the stem laminations clamped in place by temporary screws, I could see a bit of a concave in the stem up around where it joins the keel. I eases off on a few screws and it popped up into a smooth curve. Of course, that left a gap which I filled with a dutchman. Well.... no one is perfect and I suppose every boat on the water has a dutchman or two hidden somewhere.

One thing that befuddles me is the fact that the article in WB mentions (6) 1/4" laminations for the stem. But, it also says that this stem must fit into a step scarf joint that is only 1' deep. Last time I when to school (6) 1/4" laminations add up to 1-1/2", not 1".
    I just used 4 laminations for that reason and also that the article mentions that the stem would be 2" wide where it connects to the hull. That dimension on my boat is more like 1-3/4". With six laminations, the stem would be shaped to a sharp point, something you do not want. With four I will get a nice flat spot to put a piece of half-oval brass strip if I choose.
    I suppose every boat has it's own little quirks as no two builders are going to do everything exactly alike no matter how hard they try.
    But, all's well that ends well and this step of construction is over.

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 11-11-2020 at 11:38 AM.

If you recall, I had a hard time bending the 1/4" African mahogany strips for the inner stem and used 1/8" strips instead.
    That was a light colored piece but the piece I just cut up for the outer stem was a much darker piece and the 1/4" thick strips bent quite easily.
    I came across this on my fantail launch build also, the light and dark colored Khaya.
    Both are from the same supplier and both sold as Khaya African Mahogany.
    This is a supplier that specializes in hardwoods yet sells two species called Khaya that are quite different in color and grain.
    Just seems odd.

Looking good Rich. I'll be watching with interest as the Jericho Bay Skiff is on the shortlist for my next boat build. This thread will be a valuable resource for me, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazer View Post
    Looking good Rich. I'll be watching with interest as the Jericho Bay Skiff is on the shortlist for my next boat build. This thread will be a valuable resource for me, I'm sure.
    A lot of these boats have been built but if you google the interwebs, you'll find scant info on building them (at least what I could find).
    While not a very exciting build, I hope this thread (warts and all) will be of some use to future builders.
    Please bear in mind that I am an experienced amateur and not a professional. Any changes I make in design, fiberglass usage, etc. are mine and should be seen as that.
    But, I do expect that this boat will stay on top of the water and perform well.

I've been adding up the weight of all the wood, epoxy, etc. that goes into the boat so I'll know what the boat weights when completed.
    Once I add the rubrails and sprayrails, the hull will weight about 225lbs. Gonna take more then my wife and I to flip it.
    I'm also keeping track of the costs of materials.
    It will be useful for future builders to know what this boat will realistically cost before they jump in with both feet.
    At the end of the build, I will inform everyone here (but not my wife) of the final cost of materials.

The stem has been shaped, faired into the hull and coated with epoxy.
    I'm now in the process of putting on the rubrails and spray rails. Rubrails are 3/4"x1-1/2" cherry. Two pieces scarfed together to get the needed length.
    If you look closely, you can see little pieces of wood screwed to each mold protruding out from the sheerline to help support the rubrail while I'm clamping it on place. Working alone, I've got to come up with these 'little helpers'. I did the same thing when I put the first plank on the boat.
    The rubrail is glued in place with thickened epoxy and will get a silicone bronze screw at the stem and transom.
    The spray rails are going on in a two part process. The finished rail will be 1"x1-1/2" but made up of two layers each 3/4"x1". This makes it possible to bend it around the hull without steaming. I glued one piece on today and will put the second piece on top of it tomorrow. Again, thickened epoxy was used but since there is no way to clamp it in place, I used temporary screws. They will be removed before the second piece is glued on top. Once dry, the top side of the rubrail will be tapered down to 1/2"at the outside edge. I'll wait until the hull is flipped to do that. Once flipped, I'll also put screws from the interior into the rubrail so it isn't just epoxy taking all the strain of the waves hitting these spray rails.
    Why spray rails you might ask. One builder used them and really says it makes a difference. I, for one, hate spray blowing back and hitting me in the face. If you look at a typical lobster boat, which this boat is designed after, you will very often see spray rails. That one builder was kind enough to give me the dimensions and other details. From the top of the gunwale to the top of the spray rail is 13-1/2" at the transom, 14-1/2" amidships and 22" at the bow. My bow measurement was different since I lowered the sheerline up forward at the beginning of construction.

IMG_2513.jpg
    Tomorrow I'll put the other pieces of spray rail on and the other rubrail. Then the keel and stem get one final sealer coat of epoxy and I'll be painting the exterior next week.

Coming along very nicely, Rich. She's going to be beautiful.

I like the “let’s” in the title, because I feel like I’ve done ZERO work, but our boat is almost done!

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I like the “let’s” in the title, because I feel like I’ve done ZERO work, but our boat is almost done!
    Rich gets after it! I'm always amazed at how quickly he can plank up a hull.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Rich gets after it! I'm always amazed at how quickly he can plank up a hull.

Jeff C
    I know a guy who can turn out plywood boats pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I know a guy who can turn out plywood boats pretty quickly.
    And fine vessels they are, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    And fine vessels they are, sir!
    Bah! Too kind.

Iíve always liked strip building. I enjoy being able to do so much fairing with edged tools.

A big milestone today with the first coat of primer going on the hull!
    All went well and the hull seems to be nice and fair.
    The weather was unusually warm today (in the 50'sF) so I was able to roll the hull from my shop out into the adjoining garage and do the painting with lots of fresh air with the garage doors open. The Pettit primer I have is very potent to say the least!
    Second coat will go on tomorrow after a light sanding.
    It's nice to see that mahogany transom outside of my cluttered shop.
    The transom is primed to the top of what will be a 1" bootstripe.

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

Looks good, Rich!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I'm not really happy with how the spray rails kind of break up the smooth lines of the hull, but I believe their function will be worth it.

Real nice!
    That rear shot really shows off the shape.

Today I finished sanding down the primer coats.
    It'll be good to put that orbital sander down for a while, seems like I've been a slave to it
    for 1000 hours!
    Marked the waterline much like what was shown in the WB article.
    I took a nice straight piece of wood around 6' long and screwed an upright to it at exactly 90 degrees.
    Clamped a small square to it and then used a pointy piece of wood to project over to the hull.
    6' piece lays across the two pieces of the strongback. I moved it every 2"-3" and made my marks.
    The DWL is shown on the template for the transom, so I used that as my starting point.
    I'm thinking that the DWL is where the boat is supposed to sit in the water, so I put my waterline an inch above that.
    I also gave up on the idea of a white boot stripe because it would be so close to the spray rails. Might look a bit crowded.
    Anywho... here are some pics of the waterline rig and the first coat of bottom paint.
    I used topside paint simply because this is a trailered boat and regular bottom paint would make no sense. Worked fine on my fantail launch.

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

You might notice the 1/8"X1" piece of steel I put on the length of the keel.
    It'll be good to have steel between the wood of the keel and the trailer rollers.
    Plus, the launching ramps around here have no docks, so I must beach the boat on a gravel shore whenever I launch and retrieve.

With tomorrow being Thanksgiving Day, it was suggested to me by my wife that if I wanted to see the sunrise on Friday, I'd best stay out of my shop tomorrow and spend the day with her.
    So, being a smart fella, I'll be forgoing any boat work tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    You might notice the 1/8"X1" piece of steel I put on the length of the keel.
    It'll be good to have steel between the wood of the keel and the trailer rollers.
    Plus, the launching ramps around here have no docks, so I must beach the boat on a gravel shore whenever I launch and retrieve.

With tomorrow being Thanksgiving Day, it was suggested to me by my wife that if I wanted to see the sunrise on Friday, I'd best stay out of my shop tomorrow and spend the day with her.
    So, being a smart fella, I'll be forgoing any boat work tomorrow!
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

Jeff C
    Thank you! To you also.
    Just thought I'd mention that the first coat was about 1/3 of one quart of paint applied, roll and tip method, with the same type of WEST foam roller I used for the epoxy.