Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's build a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff

Default Re: Let's build a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff

Man, you're booking!

Are the strips edge nailed?

I have found that I don't get blowouts if I pre-drill for and start the nails on the bench.

^ no edge nails. The proto type was built at WoodenBoat with no edge nailing, so I didn't either. Glue should do fine until the fiberglass bonds everything together forever.
    I didn't edge nail my fantail launch either.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Do you think you will be able to use the tightbond as you work your way up (down)? Are you shaping the strips to increase the contact area at all? I used epoxy to glue mine and felt like it was mostly a waste, but there were areas that would have been very difficult to get really clean glue surfaces for the tightbond to hold.

You are really flying along and it looks great. Thanks for the pictures and report.

Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    Do you think you will be able to use the tightbond as you work your way up (down)? Are you shaping the strips to increase the contact area at all? I used epoxy to glue mine and felt like it was mostly a waste, but there were areas that would have been very difficult to get really clean glue surfaces for the tightbond to hold.

You are really flying along and it looks great. Thanks for the pictures and report.
    As you know, at the turn of the bilge the strips will touch each other on the inside edge but have a slight gap on the outside. So, the Titebond wouldn't work so well there. For that, while the strips are held in place by the staples and screws, I'll put dabs of Thixo thickened epoxy in the gaps. After I pull the staples and screws, I'll fill in the rest of the gaps. That area will cover about 10 -12 strips.
    Hand beveling those strips is simply not going to happen!

Thirty strips down and about 70 to go. I have another 30 strips scarfed and ready.
    They will have to wait as we've got family coming for the long Labor Day weekend.
    I've been told that if I go anywhere near my shop, I'm a dead man.
    I'll just have to contend myself with enjoying my two kids, their spouses and our little granddaughter.
    IMG_2423.jpg

I'm slogging away with the strip planking. Very tedious work.
    In post #47 I was whining that station#6 wasn't fair and being 3/16 of an inch low and that I had added a bit to the top to compensate.
    Today, coming around the turn of the bilge, the strip planking was dipping down and I realized that if I just raised the whole station mold about 1/4", all would be fine. Planks are now lying a lot fairer now to the other stations.
    I've no idea why this station was like that. I'll blame it on the cheap paper templates. It couldn't possibly be my fault! I'll remove the little bit I had added to the top of that station.
    These are the sort of things that happen on all builds. Little gremlins pop up once in a while.
    That's what the moaning chair is for.
    But, all's well that ends well.

Yep. Been there, done that, recently on my Ninigret.
    My fix worked out fine, but moving the frame,as you did with your mold, would've been the right or better choice.
    We live and learn.

I'm still banging away on the planking.
    At least it's starting to look somewhat like a boat.
    I've got 16 more planks scarfed, glued and clamped on my workbench.
    It going to be tight as to whether or not I have enough cedar. But, I'm not buying more until I know.
    Next step is to finish shaping the rest of the stem as it transitions into the bottom of the boat.
    On the lower left can be seen the scaffold I built to get me up to the proper height to plank the bottom.
    It's built in 4' sections so it can follow the curve of the hull and be easy to move.
    I'm hoping to have the planking done by the end of the month.
    All depends on whether the good wife will tolerate my being in the shop all day and not doing stuff with her.
    I'll order all my fiberglassing supplies this week. Glassing is weeks away (lots of fairing to do), but I'd like to get everything ordered and here in case of Covid supply delays.

IMG_2464.jpg

Nice!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Great shoice to build. I built the Jericho Bay in 2016. It was a great project with a great result. I have been using it since then for bass fishing on my ocal lake and evening cocktail cruises with my wife. Your build looks just like mine at that stage. You are headed in a great direction.

One thing that I discovered is that the recommended 25HP outboard is NOT ENOUGH power. She struggle to get up to a plane with my 200 pounds and 18 MPH, but add my lovely 130# wife and she slogs down at about 15MPH. Add a full-sized fishing partner and she runs like a full-displacement boat. That's a real disappointment. In my opinion the boat needs at least 40HP to perform well. I also had a heck of a time finding a short shaft outboard to match the cut-down transom. I've considered replacing the transom to get more reeboard to handle a common-sized shaft height.

Keep the pictures coming.

Quote Originally Posted by navyjack View Post
    Great shoice to build. I built the Jericho Bay in 2016. It was a great project with a great result. I have been using it since then for bass fishing on my ocal lake and evening cocktail cruises with my wife. Your build looks just like mine at that stage. You are headed in a great direction.

One thing that I discovered is that the recommended 25HP outboard is NOT ENOUGH power. She struggle to get up to a plane with my 200 pounds and 18 MPH, but add my lovely 130# wife and she slogs down at about 15MPH. Add a full-sized fishing partner and she runs like a full-displacement boat. That's a real disappointment. In my opinion the boat needs at least 40HP to perform well. I also had a heck of a time finding a short shaft outboard to match the cut-down transom. I've considered replacing the transom to get more reeboard to handle a common-sized shaft height.

Keep the pictures coming.
    Most people use a 20hp engine and are happy with it although I don't know if that is with just one person on board. Of course, the ones I've seen all have center consoles to keep the weight out of the stern. Is yours tiller steered or center console? I'm a bit under 200 lbs. and the good wife is about 115lbs.
    I built my transom to accommodate a 20" shaft because it seems that's the way manufacturers are going nowadays. I'm going with the 25hp just to be on the safe side. I've heard from one builder who put a 30 hp on his Jericho and it was too much. Boat got squirrelly at high speeds.

In post #78 I mentioned that I would order all my fiberglassing supplies now just in case there is a Covid supply chain delay.
    I ordered everything yesterday and got an email today that the epoxy hardener will be delayed for at least two weeks.
    Certainly a 1st world problem, but I'm glad I ordered early.
    I ordered my new 25hp Tohatsu engine last week and hope it will be here sometime this winter.

Finally! The planking is complete!
    But, you know the old boat building saying, "Once the hull is planked, the boat is only 1/3 finished".
    I figured the amount of cedar pretty well. All I have left is one 7' long strip and a lot of sawdust.
    Once I clean up the stem, I'll be faced with the endless hours of sanding and fairing. Oh, joy.

IMG_2484.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 09-29-2020 at 06:34 PM.

I found this pair of channel lock pliers to come in handy to twist some of the strips into place up by the stem.

IMG_2482.jpg

The hull looks good! Great quantity estimation!
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

Great progress! Will be following this one.
    Nice.
    Rob
    Never Trade Luck for Skill.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

While she is still upside down, I would be curious to see how much "lip" you built into the aft portion of the boat. (Drop a long strait edge along what will become the keel.)

I've always wondered if I built in too much, although I did try to build strictly to the plan. This "feature" was apparently quite sought after, but I've always second guessed it a bit. I'm sure it would help more in a boat without a remote steering station to help get the bow down, but with a remote set up the ability to adjust weight should accomplish the same thing?

Looking great! Hope you celebrated that "whiskey plank" in style!

Nice, Rich. Built in your usual fine style.

Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    While she is still upside down, I would be curious to see how much "lip" you built into the aft portion of the boat. (Drop a long strait edge along what will become the keel.)

I've always wondered if I built in too much, although I did try to build strictly to the plan. This "feature" was apparently quite sought after, but I've always second guessed it a bit. I'm sure it would help more in a boat without a remote steering station to help get the bow down, but with a remote set up the ability to adjust weight should accomplish the same thing?

Looking great! Hope you celebrated that "whiskey plank" in style!
    The 'hook' is more pronounced around the mid section of the boat and tapering off towards the stern. I just checked mine and it's a bit under 5/8". I believe it was designed in there for a tiller steered boat where the helmsman would be in the stern. The hook is supposed to offset the weight of the helmsman when trying to get up on plane. Now, though, with most of these boats built with remote steering amidships, I don't know if it's necessary.

For those of you confused with this, the hook is a sort of built-in hog in the keel.

I built a couple of torture devices and am currently inflicting them on myself.
    Two longboards for fairing. Both made of 4mm ply. One stiff one cut with the grain for the flat areas, the other cut across the grain to give it more flexibility when doing the turn of the bilge.

IMG_2487.jpg

I've got one side of the boat pretty much where I want it.
    I started out by knocking down high points with my block plane. That was followed by using the
    orbital sander (hooked up to a small shop vac). First 60 grit, then 100 grit.
    That was followed by filling in screw holes and planking gaps with fairing compound (WEST 407), plus skim coating a few spots. 100 grit on the orbital for that followed by the long board with 100 grit.
    I'll keep long boarding until I'm totally happy with the fairness.
    Then I'll shove the boat to the other side of my narrow shop and do the other side.

IMG_2488.jpg

Nice! I'm following along with interest.

Looking good, Rich.

Looking very nice. If anything, I think you may be over-polishing her a bit.
    "fairing" at this stage of the build is a 60 or 80-grit operation IMHO. That's enough to bring things within range of the high-build primer, which is when the 100-120grit comes into play.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Looking very nice. If anything, I think you may be over-polishing her a bit.
    "fairing" at this stage of the build is a 60 or 80-grit operation IMHO. That's enough to bring things within range of the high-build primer, which is when the 100-120grit comes into play.
    Fairing right now is to eliminate any lumps and bumps. 100 grit will be the final on fairing prior to fiberglassing. Then comes more fairing before primer and paint. That's where thre finer grits will come into play.
    Of course, the true measure of how well I did will not be evident until next spring when I roll the boat out into the sunshine for the first time. The unforgiving sun glaring on the paint will reveal any of my sins.

Longboarding is done on one side. Sealer coat of epoxy applied.
    I'll rinse that off tomorrow to remove the amine blush, then lightly sand.
    Some builders do a sealer coat, some just apply the fiberglass cloth over bare wood.
    I like the sealer coat route because it helps eliminate out-gassing when applying the cloth.

Fairing and longboarding reminds me of stories I've read about of the makers of early mirrors for the telescopes that first gazed into the heavens. They would literally goes nuts trying to polish the mirrors to the correct tolerance with different pumices. Getting them distortion free was pretty much impossible.
    I do my best when fairing and hope it all comes out looking good.

IMG_2491.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 10-13-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Safety Note:

When mixing WEST fillers into the epoxy, always wear a good quality tight fitting respirator.
    I left mine off while mixing some today and now my lungs feel like crap.
    The fillers are extremely fine and, no matter how careful you are, the particles will drift into your face.

IMG_2493.jpg

Sure looks good from where I'm sittin'!!

Outstanding!

Hope you're feeling better.

Jeff C

I finished applying the exterior fiberglass today.
    I'd forgotten what a miserable messy job it is.
    The 17oz. biaxial cloth soaks up a lot of resin and it takes a long time to work that resin into the cloth.
    Working by myself, I did one side per day and it took me 2 1/2 hours for each side! Due to the long process, a slow hardener for the resin is recommended. My shop was 65F degrees and it worked fine.
    Now I will put two filler coats on top of that with sanding in between. Lots of fun, but the final finish should be worth it.
    One thing I'm doing is saving all the fine sawdust and epoxy dust from the orbital sander. I'll use that to thicken the epoxy when I do fillets for the structural pieces I'll be putting in the boat; center console, seating lockers and the such. It works just great and saves me from ordering expensive filler material from WEST.
    It will be nice to get back to working with wood when I install the outer stem, keel and rubrails.
    Then it's time to paint!

IMG_2495.jpg

I should add that I overlapped the centerline with the cloth. The boat has no inner keel, so overlapping the cloth pretty much holds the two halves of the boat together. Of course, the boat is held together at the stem and transom, but the middle could use some support.

Looking good, Rich.

Great tip on saving the sanding dust.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looking really nice Rich.
    How did you find the RO sander with the 100 grit on the 407 compound? I'm facing into a very similar sanding task and wondering how to approach it. Did the compound sand readily..?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Looking good, Rich.

Great tip on saving the sanding dust.

Kevin
    I refinished the oak floors in my house many, many years ago and saved the sawdust from the final sanding. That bucket of dust lasted for about 20 years and many boatbuilding projects.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Looking really nice Rich.
    How did you find the RO sander with the 100 grit on the 407 compound? I'm facing into a very similar sanding task and wondering how to approach it. Did the compound sand readily..?
    Seemed to sand just fine with the orbital sander with 100 grit.