Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: Let's build a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff

Default Re: Let's build a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff

I took my dear wife out for her first spin in the boat and she loves it. The boat really feels solid going over the water. Nice and dry plus that three cylinder 25 hp engine is really quiet. Purrs like a kitten.
    While out there we came across some stranded mariners. A man and his wife (probably in their 30's) and new to boating had just bought an old fiberglass runabout. Boat and motor looked very 1970's.
    Anyway, that engine just did not want to start so we towed them about 1/4 mile back to launching ramp.
    We were the only two boats on the lake and they were very happy we came along.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

When I built the boat, I thought I could get away with a wooden bracket for the trolling motor.
    It worked all summer but then snapped just before I got home from an afternoon on the lake the other day.
    The trolling motor fell to the road and was being dragged along by the electrical cord.
    Luckily, It only dragged for a few hundred feet when my wife noticed it. Scraped it up a bit and I'll need a new prop, but no major damage.
    So, I designed a nice metal one and had a local metal guy fashion it out of aluminum.
    It's through bolted to the quarter knee, which in turn is screwed and epoxied to the boat.
    This rig should work out fine.
    Notice the beat up prop and skeg.
    Lesson learned: Not everything can be made from wood!

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

As a matter of curiosity, do you have a photo of the wood bracket, and/or the point of failure?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Have to tell you, as someone with a similar build recently sort-of completed (if you build them yourself are they ever really "done?") who is just about to put together a kicker bracket, there's a lot to like in that post.

Actually, considering my boat is basically a stitch-and-glue rendition of the same thing, or maybe somewhere between that and an Ocean Pointer, in the same colour scheme, with a similar transom, I'm just incredibly happy to see your boat up close after some use, because the glamour shots were so flawless I would never have put pictures of my creation up anywhere near it! But seeing a few scuffs and dings on your beauty makes me feel a little better about the details I wish I had the patience to fix on mine.

Anyway I need to do a kicker mount, maybe this week. I have some 1/4" 3x3 aluminum angle I used for the outboard bracket. I had been on the fence about using wood, but now I'll use the leftover aluminum.

So thank you for the update! Always tempting not to mention the things that go wrong, but they're often the most valuable contributions from the perspective of other builders.

I don't know if I've actually posted in this thread, I don't post here much, but I followed this one the whole way along. A really beautiful boat. I was super happy when you launched it. A total knockout of a boat. Great build.