Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's build a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff

Default Re: Let's build a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff

I wasn't so sure of that method of marking the waterline. For some unknown reason, one side seemed about 1/4" different then the other. So, just to make things more complicated, I set up my laser level. First, I used the laser to level up the building jig, then used it to mark the waterline. I also decided to go with the boot stripe after all, so marked that. Laser level showed the waterline to be right on the mark on one side and corrected that 1/4" on the other. I probably rushed things on the first try.
    Two coats of bottom paint and two coats on the boot stripe. I spent a couple of pleasant hours with the hand plane shaping the spray rails. There is something very satisfying about using a hand plane as long as it doesn't get excessive. Top of spray rails will get a little bit of fairing once the boat is flipped.
    I just put a coat of penetrating epoxy on them and will be putting the first coat of flag blue on the hull tomorrow.

IMG_2524.jpg
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

As a carpenter, I'm pretty good at pounding nails into a piece of wood.
    Painting and varnishing, however, are not my strong suits.
    The bottom paint (Pettit) came out perfect. Of course, only the fish will see that.
    The topside paint (Interlux) leaves something to be desired.
    On close inspection, I can see little tiny flecks in the paint. Didn't adequately clean the surface before painting? Also, when rolling and tipping, the brush seemed to drag in the paint and a couple of spots show that. Paint seems to set up amazingly fast. Temperature in my heated garage was about 70F and very dry.
    Knowing that I'll probably put a few dings in the paint over the course of completing the boat, I'll wait until spring to sand it down a bit and put on a third coat.

Today was the big day.
    Flip the boat day!
    Last week I removed most of the station molds, leaving only the fore and aft most ones in place.
    Today, I rigged up a pulley system to lift the boat a bit and then removed those last two molds.
    The strongback was then rolled away and the boat lowered to the floor.
    IMG_2526.jpg

I then attached a clamp to the gunwale amidships to attach the pulley system for a hoist to help flip the boat.

IMG_2527.jpg
    I hauled on the line while my gallant wife helped balance the boat. It went up very easily and, once past the tipping point, the pulley system gently laid the boat right side up.
    I took the strongback, cut it down to 11' in length, removed the legs and remounted the dolly wheels to make a nice working cradle for the boat.
    Next was to hook up the pulleys again and hoist the boat about 1' in the air, just enough to roll the cradle under.
    I lowered the boat on the cradle and, done!

IMG_2528.jpg
    Writing this, it sounds all so simple, but it was a hard days work and my 67 year old back is letting me know about it.
    During this time of the Covid Pandemic, I resisted the urge to call friends to help out. The job is done, but I wouldn't want to do it again!
    Here she is, ready to roll back into my shop for the winter.

IMG_2529.jpg

Rich, I'm still stunned you started this project only four months ago. She looks beautiful!

If you'll remember to the beginning, I lowered the sheerline at the bow by 4".
    Looking at it now, I'm pleased with the results.
    While the boat was sitting on the floor, I could see that my 5' tall wife shouldn't have a problem boarding from the beach.

Now I am left with the interior.
    Looking at it, I see a whole lot of empty!
    I started this boat about four months ago and now have five months before I want to launch.
    Plenty of time, so I'm going to slow down the pace a bit.
    My dear wife has been very patient and supportive of my long hours spent in my shop and now I'd like to relax a bit and give her some peace and quiet.

IMG_2530.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorB View Post
    Rich, I'm still stunned you started this project only four months ago. She looks beautiful!
    Thank you!
    I am retired, so I've got lots of time. Even at that, I'm still ahead of my usual pace for building.
    I've just had a bug in my bonnet to get the boat to this point before the hard winter set in. The garage will soon be stocked with firewood that would make getting the boat in there to flip impossible. My shop is too narrow to make flipping the boat in there practical.

good job on the flip
    The sheer line looks very nice.

Nice job! I'm looking forward to seeing the interior come together.

Well done! Your hard work has been worth it. I like the colourscheme too.
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

Nice job, Rich!
    At that pace, you could of had a career and actually made wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    Nice job, Rich!
    At that pace, you could of had a career and actually made wages.
    As a home improvement contractor, I always dreamed of building boats for a living.
    Sadly, I could make a lot more money throwing in a bunch of windows then I could building boats.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

I really like the look of that lowered sheer. Build is coming together so well.

The boat is looking great, Rich. I understand how you feel tired after the flip. I take my days a lot more casual these days but can still muster up the energy to push myself when the situation warrants. But the next day......

Re. the Interlux, I bought a fresh quart of their enamel paint a few months ago to freshen up a boat I was selling. As I applied the first coat I immediately saw there was a lot of "debris" in the paint. Close examination with a hand lens showed it to resemble a puffed rice cereal but smaller grained. I stopped the painting with only a square foot or so covered, let that dry and sanded clean. Straining the remaining paint did the trick... no more crud in the finish. The job ultimately looked good (I sold the boat.) but the paint thing was frustrating.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    The boat is looking great, Rich. I understand how you feel tired after the flip. I take my days a lot more casual these days but can still muster up the energy to push myself when the situation warrants. But the next day......

Re. the Interlux, I bought a fresh quart of their enamel paint a few months ago to freshen up a boat I was selling. As I applied the first coat I immediately saw there was a lot of "debris" in the paint. Close examination with a hand lens showed it to resemble a puffed rice cereal but smaller grained. I stopped the painting with only a square foot or so covered, let that dry and sanded clean. Straining the remaining paint did the trick... no more crud in the finish. The job ultimately looked good (I sold the boat.) but the paint thing was frustrating.

Jeff
    I did strain the paint, but I only had medium mesh strainers. Will use fine mesh the next time.

Here's one more shot, this time of the arse end of the boat. Transom has just a sealer coat of varnish on it now. Probably at least 10 more coats to go!

IMG_2532.jpg

Rich,

It looks fantastic!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Looks like you've already faired the strips on the inside. How can that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Looks like you've already faired the strips on the inside. How can that be?
    Nope. Haven't touched them yet.
    Dreading the chore of fairing and fiberglassing.
    It's my least favorite aspect of boatbuilding.

I took an eight day breather just to relax a bit.
    Today, I stabilized the boat on the cradle. Boring stuff but still very necessary since I'll be jumping in and out of the boat all winter and it will need support.
    I cut pieces of plywood for bilge supports, scribed them to the bottom, covered the edges with trailer bunk carpet and then screwed them to the cradle cross supports.
    Tomorrow I'll dress up the top edges of the spray rails, give them a coat of epoxy sealer, then paint.
    Then comes the dreaded task of fairing/glassing the interior.
    Once that is done, building the interior will be a joy.

IMG_2534.jpg

Keep a nice stock of sharpened radiiused scrapers at hand. I love watching the feathered ribbons of cured epoxy roll off those sharp edges.

That is a handsome boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Keep a nice stock of sharpened radiiused scrapers at hand. I love watching the feathered ribbons of cured epoxy roll off those sharp edges.
    Strips were glued with Titebond III so that should be easier on the sander/scrapers then if I'd used epoxy. Those inside radiuses are going to be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Strips were glued with Titebond III so that should be easier on the sander/scrapers then if I'd used epoxy. Those inside radiuses are going to be a pain.
    Maybe a radiused cabinet scraper for those inside radiuses. I think I have seen one somewhere.

Nice looking boat and great start on the build. Does she run flat bottom aft or is there some keel or strakes back there?

You mentioned lift/trim, our Suzuki 25 has tilt/trim. We had our Suzuki Dealer install it, very glad he got to track down all the doodads and geegaws associated with the install. Battery placement, fuel filter water separator, gas tank(s), remote steering, tachometer, terminal bus, power controls, adapting vintage wheel, auto bilge pump, adding nav lights, battery switch, 12v port, USB port...he handled it all with our input. Food for thought, we went with two 3 gallon tanks vs a 6, they are easier to lug around and fit under seats better.

Willow Gary Lous Suzuki.jpg

Willow Lous steering.jpg

Willow after HBV run 2.jpg

Weight and balance are Moaning Chair issues at this stage. I think lengthening the boat like you are doing will offset the motor/battery/fuel weight, or you might be planning to move fuel/ battery forward somewhere. Seems one group put the battery under the helm or helm seat. Also your center console helps, I have to sit closer to centerline when I am out solo on WILLOW.

Willow and Kent Feb 15 2.jpg
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

^ That is a beautiful boat you've got there!
    My bottom runs flat but does have an exterior keel that tampers to nothing at the transom, so no interference with the flow of water going into the prop.
    I'll be having the dealer install my motor also.
    Weight distribution is a concern of mine also. I'll be placing the battery in the center console and the gas tank under the helm seat. This will keep all weight as far forward as I can. To keep weight down, I'll go with a 3 gallon tank and see how that goes. This is a fishing boat and will be going from spot to spot on small lakes, not running around the lake at full throttle for hours so 3 gallons of gas will last me a good long while. My present boat hardly uses more then 3 gallons over the course of the summer with the 15hp 4-stroke.

For some reason I never saw this thread. Things are looking great Rich! I too think the lower sheer will make sense on the waters you frequent.

On the wheel (I know you're far from installing it) - an idea for a project should you want a round wheel, but like the look of what you have. My boat has a slightly similar center to yours with an added rim. Edson sells these for stupid money, but maybe you could make a rim for it & attach it to yours? IIRC, there was a thread here a few years back on wheel building - though you probably know how to do it anyway...

Here's a not great pic of mine:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    The topside paint (Interlux) leaves something to be desired.
    On close inspection, I can see little tiny flecks in the paint. Didn't adequately clean the surface before painting? Also, when rolling and tipping, the brush seemed to drag in the paint and a couple of spots show that. Paint seems to set up amazingly fast.
    Sounds like the same issue I had with the Interlux Brightsides on my guideboat. I ran it through a 120 micron filter to no avail.

I recently got a set of cabinet scrapers and a burnisher from these guys.
    They seem decent enough.

I've been screwing around lately, ignoring my boatbuilding.
    Skiing is one of the things I've been doing and I managed to take a real tumble on the mountain yesterday. Ski equipment flying all over the place.
    Only damage is that now my left hand is wrapped in a massive splint with possible thumb ligament damage.
    So, no boatbuilding (or skiing) for awhile.
    I'll get it checked out by my orthopedic doc next week once the swelling goes down.
    Hopefully the ligament is just stretched and not torn.
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 12-24-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Ouch! That's a bit a bummer to say the least Rich. Here's hoping it's just a bad sprain.

Merry Christmas

Nick

Isn't that called "ass over teakettle"? Hope you heal up fast Rich!

Years ago I was helping a friend (captain of the Middlebury Ski Team when she was in college) teach her kids how to ski. She was having no luck - tears, tantrums, the whole bit. I asked if I could try something & she said "Please!". I made a new rule that all falls would get awarded style points (highest points going to the most equipment that came loose and/or most snow down the neck) & that the one with the most points for the day would get an extra hot chocolate at the basebox.

Totally turned it around - instead of tears it was "Did I get good points on that one?". Sometimes the "adult" who falls a lot more has a better understanding of the frustration
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

OUCH, your gonna need that opposable thumb, Rich. Hope it is not serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Isn't that called "ass over teakettle"? Hope you heal up fast Rich!

Years ago I was helping a friend (captain of the Middlebury Ski Team when she was in college) teach her kids how to ski. She was having no luck - tears, tantrums, the whole bit. I asked if I could try something & she said "Please!". I made a new rule that all falls would get awarded style points (highest points going to the most equipment that came loose and/or most snow down the neck) & that the one with the most points for the day would get an extra hot chocolate at the basebox.

Totally turned it around - instead of tears it was "Did I get good points on that one?". Sometimes the "adult" who falls a lot more has a better understanding of the frustration
    Downhill mountain biking stole a lot from skiing, especially racing formats. But, slang and lingo like free ride and yard sale also got borrowed.

I have thrown impromptu yard sales many times; on dirt. I’ve only ever snowboarded, which makes it REALLY hard to have a good sale; who’s stopping to browse if there’s only a hat and goggles?

Ass over teakettle? For some years (mainly to 20s) that was, as often as not, my spatial attitude. Make sure you tuck, and pull in the limbs. Better to just roll with it.

Which, it’s really a bonus to get knocked out early, so you naturally rag doll, and don’t resist.

Rich,
    I was able to make these with only 3 fingers available on one hand. Not bragging or challenging or anything like that but if I could do that you should be able to file a Red Devil scraper to a radius and scrape away at the inside with just one hand, or maybe even both hands, whereas that would be impossible using card scrapers.

Forged hooks 009.jpg

You can also apply a piece of 60 grit to the inside of the hull then run a block of styrofoam over it until it matches the compound radii of the hull then fold the 60 grit over the foam sanding block and work away at it with just one hand.

Telling you this because I know you're just dying to get out there and work like a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Downhill mountain biking stole a lot from skiing, especially racing formats. But, slang and lingo like free ride and yard sale also got borrowed.

I have thrown impromptu yard sales many times; on dirt. I’ve only ever snowboarded, which makes it REALLY hard to have a good sale; who’s stopping to browse if there’s only a hat and goggles?

Ass over teakettle? For some years (mainly to 20s) that was, as often as not, my spatial attitude. Make sure you tuck, and pull in the limbs. Better to just roll with it.

Which, it’s really a bonus to get knocked out early, so you naturally rag doll, and don’t resist.
    In 2006 I took the worst tumble of my life and slammed my helmeted head into the ground. Didn't remember the rest of the fall, but came to a few seconds later with a broken pelvis along with the slight concussion.