Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 53 of 53

Thread: COVID in Texas

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    24,924

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Well, yeah. Everyone is ready for this to 'be over', return to whatever our normal was. Folks are antsy; a big part is the not knowing - will this end? Will we get herd immunity? Vaccines that work? When will we know?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,706

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Did I argue the fact before you bite my head off?

    I don't think you will find a single person on this thread who isn't happy to see the numbers declining. What I do think you will find is that people here are still horrified at the high daily infection numbers and the large numbers of deaths even as they are declining.
    No you did not, nor did I bite your head off. It was not clear to me as to why you were posting that site as objective, since I am the one who mentioned objective data, I assumed it had something to do with myself. So I simply, and politely pointed out that I had not posted anything that differs from that site and showed how it backed up my earlier claims. Don't be so sensitive.


    As to people who are not happy to see the numbers declining. Is that not a strawman argument? As I have not said anyone was unhappy to see the numbers declining. I have simply pointed out a couple of facts:

    daily deaths do show signs of declining, the numbers are fairly evenly distributed across the state. I have made no assumptions about who is happy with the situation or not. I am not, to be clear. I wish this would have never happened, I wish Texas would have been able to continue to be a low impacted state as it was in the spring. That did not happen, and it looks like it won't happen for many regions, barring a vaccine.

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,224

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    The nightly news just said that the USA hit the highest COVID death rate since May.

    They said that Fauci says the virus is still spreading and not under control.

    They said the CDC says it's going to get worse.

    It isn't hard to learn which states are up and which are down.

    But let's not believe the experts. It's all a liberal plot. Biden and Harris have called for mandatory nationwide masks.

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    24,924

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    What was it, close to 1500 deaths today? Yeah, the pushback is something to behold. Omaha refused to mandate masks until just the other day; their rates far surpass Lincoln, just down the road but with the mandate - which Gov Rickets aggressively opposed, even threatening litigation. I think that was for trump. They've canceled HS sports in Omaha, still trying for them, elsewhere and here. That'll implode, as well. Big 10 cancelled all sports, big pushback from our coach. It's all surreal.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    62,408

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    I was thinking of college football and all those very well paid coaches. In the forseeable future in the very few of US those football games couldt be played safely, let alone have spectators. The coaches are redundant it seems to me.
    Spectator and team sports are in deep do-do, and all the associated advertising, products, hcommentators and hangers on with them. TV sport along with soft porn was, according to Thatcher and Reagan and Bryzinski, the 'tittytainment' that would distract the punters from realizing they were being screwed and a cash cow for the networks.
    I think the cow got Covid.

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    24,924

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Nice, spot-on analysis. Unfortunately.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,224

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I was thinking of college football and all those very well paid coaches...
    How can anyone even consider playing football now? You run into the other guy, each hit causes you to exhale hard, then you do it again. It must be 100x worse than just standing there and talking to someone.

  8. #43
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    7,778

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    As somebody who never cared for rough or "blood sports", I see nothing wrong with football being cancelled. I see nothing good coming out of that game except maybe giving doctors clients for life changing injuries sustained at an early age. When I live up in Pa for a while, the local HS had a quarterback who was a real up and coming star. He was being courted by the very best colleges in the country. He hurt his leg and rather than sitting out a few games and letting it heal, the couches and his parents kept pressuring him to play. By the end of it all, he was 18 with a knee replacement and no college prospects.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,706

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The nightly news just said that the USA hit the highest COVID death rate since May.

    They said that Fauci says the virus is still spreading and not under control.

    They said the CDC says it's going to get worse.

    It isn't hard to learn which states are up and which are down.

    But let's not believe the experts. It's all a liberal plot. Biden and Harris have called for mandatory nationwide masks.
    If all one listens to is the nightly news, it is hard to see which states are up and which are down. For example, in post 9 you mentioned 4 states explicitly. Texas's new case count is not going down as fast as one would hope, but it's 7 day moving average is 30% off its peak, which occurred one month ago. Florida's is down 44% from its peak which also occurred one month ago. Arizona's 7 day moving average is 73% below its peak which occurred on July 7th. Arkansas's had been on a plateau for a couple of weeks and started falling about a week ago, too early to say it is definitely trending down. So you were, at best, 1 for 4.

    Its not that its a liberal plot. Its shoddy reporting. To figure out which states are up and down, one actually has to do some research. Its not hard research, but it takes a few minutes if one is in practice. Few people do that.
    Last edited by peb; 08-14-2020 at 07:32 AM.

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,706

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    How can anyone even consider playing football now? You run into the other guy, each hit causes you to exhale hard, then you do it again. It must be 100x worse than just standing there and talking to someone.
    Hard to argue with this. I will say, with some of the large college football programs, it will be interesting to see if more kids become infected who are members of schools who do not play this fall, vs schools which do. My reasoning is this, and it is BY NO MEANS AN ARGUMENT FOR PLAYING THIS SEASON, the schools who might actually play, eg the SEC, are for all practical purposes (excepting the elephant in the room), professional programs. During an actual season, those kids' lives can be completely controlled by the coaches and the staffs. Yet the kids who are not playing will doing what college age kids do, and that does not seem to include much care about the virus in many cases. Again, this does not argue for playing the season, since the logic would only hold true for the large power-5 conference schools at best, and certainly not for high school, etc.

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,224

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    If all one listens to is the nightly news, it is hard to see which states are up and which are down.
    peb, I might as well tell you that you have lost all credibility with me. I have provided some of the same links you read and others. I do not only listen to the nightly news and your weak attempts at deflection are not credible. Enough people here have called you out on your statements. I don't need to add to them. I just want you to know that your deflection and claims aren't going anywhere.

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,224

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    ...I see nothing wrong with football being cancelled. ...By the end of it all, he was 18 with a knee replacement and no college prospects.
    I don't know anyone who played the game, even in high school, who does not have either knee or back problems later in life. It's an awful price to pay for something of so little value.

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,706

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    peb, I might as well tell you that you have lost all credibility with me. I have provided some of the same links you read and others. I do not only listen to the nightly news and your weak attempts at deflection are not credible. Enough people here have called you out on your statements. I don't need to add to them. I just want you to know that your deflection and claims aren't going anywhere.
    I have shown the exact figures off of worldometers. You can doubt them if you want. If I have no credibility with you, I don't really care. I am not trying to do any deflection, I am simply correcting false statements (either implied or explicitly made). I am doing so with completely objective information. The fact remains: Texas is 30% off its peak in new cases, as measured with 7 day moving averages. This does not align with your statements on this thread.

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,706

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I don't know anyone who played the game, even in high school, who does not have either knee or back problems later in life. It's an awful price to pay for something of so little value.
    This is something of a diversion, buts its worth saying. I have had a bum knee my whole life due to high school football injuries. I deal with it. If I had to do it all over again, knowing I would have this bad knee, I would make the exact same decision to play. I consider it the most formative experiences I had, outside of my home and working on the farm, while growing up. I will say that only one of my sons has played football, I let them make their own choices, and knowing what we now know about the potential for long term mental issues from the game, I would discourage any son from paying. That would be way too awful of a price to pay. A bad knee, not so much.

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,224

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Everyone, I am unable to post a screen shot without blowing away the size limits here, so I encourage you to go to:

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

    and go down near the bottom to the plot of the daily death count to reach your own conclusion. Then look at the other states. Look at Massachusetts, New York, Maryland and other states that have enacted sound COVID policies and draw your own conclusion. Look at Florida, Arizona and Arkansas where they have not enacted sound policies.

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I have shown the exact figures off of worldometers.

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,706

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Everyone, I am unable to post a screen shot without blowing away the size limits here, so I encourage you to go to:

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

    and go down near the bottom to the plot of the daily death count to reach your own conclusion. Then look at the other states. Look at Massachusetts, New York, Maryland and other states that have enacted sound COVID policies and draw your own conclusion. Look at Florida, Arizona and Arkansas where they have not enacted sound policies.
    But you are making a strawman argument. I have been very clear about the mistakes Texas made in late may through June, very clear. And we have paid for it dearly. I have also acknowledge multiple times on this forum that MA, NY, Maryland, etc are not having second waves. We can debate why that was the case, but in general Texas had a huge wave in the summer because of mistakes by our people. Those were largely corrected by early July. If there is one thing that we learned this spring, from the exact states that you mentioned, is that if you let this virus get a foothold, you are in for a very bad time. That is what happened in Texas. I have never denied that.

    As for how the various states are managing things now, that can be debated to a degree. Last time I checked there was no material difference in the mobility data from apple in those states than in Texas. And face masks are mandatory here since the beginning of July. The reason why we have been hit hard this summer is because of mistakes made in the early summer.

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,206

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    But you are making a strawman argument. I have been very clear about the mistakes Texas made in late may through June, very clear. And we have paid for it dearly. I have also acknowledge multiple times on this forum that MA, NY, Maryland, etc are not having second waves. We can debate why that was the case, but in general Texas had a huge wave in the summer because of mistakes by our people. Those were largely corrected by early July. If there is one thing that we learned this spring, from the exact states that you mentioned, is that if you let this virus get a foothold, you are in for a very bad time. That is what happened in Texas. I have never denied that.

    As for how the various states are managing things now, that can be debated to a degree. Last time I checked there was no material difference in the mobility data from apple in those states than in Texas. And face masks are mandatory here since the beginning of July. The reason why we have been hit hard this summer is because of mistakes made in the early summer.
    There is no debate why we're not currently having a massive second wave. In New England, New York, and New Jersey people stayed home. We've had phased openings based on the levels of COVID infections and deaths. Re-opening didn't happen until the virus transmission was significantly suppressed. They also haven't been skittish about delaying or rolling back the phases. Oh, and mask mandates.

    Right now, we're seeing some upticks of numbers. And stuff has been put on hold again.

    I do expect another rise in cases come September with school re-openings. Some districts have opted for hybrid in-person plans, some have opted for remote learning. We should know the impact of those decisions by early October.

    Even though numbers are dropping in Texas, they're still appallingly high. A decrease is great, but daily infection numbers that are still in the thousands isn't.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  18. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,224

    Default Re: COVID in Texas

    Late to shut down, first to reopen, Georgia reports its highest daily death toll
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/la...?ocid=msedgdhp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •