Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Microtrawler "Dreug water"

Default Building Microtrawler "Dreug water"

1.gif

So I'm building a boat. It's been some time since I tried my hand at that game. Tell you about that later. For now: it's to be a Microtrawler, one of Phil Bolger's designs. My plan is to keep whomever is interested informed on my progress (or the lack of it).

I've been preparing for this build for some time, and gathering information. There's not much info on this boat. So I figure there are more of us, parsing the internet. This thread may help someone. Also, it'll be fun, I hope.

I'm in the Netherlands. When it's finished, I intend to use the boat for cruising on inland waterways, including the Waddenzee, which is a mostly sheltered tidal stretch of water. It's mostly pretty shallow; lots of it dry up at low water. I love it out there. Microtrawler will fit in that picture, I think. But I'm not really in a hurry to finish the build. I's supposed to be fun.

That's it for now. Please feel free to comment.

Lex Zwart

Default Re: Building Microtrawler "Dreug water"

I always liked that design. I'll be following with interest.
    -Dave

Never heard of Waddenzee, but after searching Google, I see you share the waterway with compact cars! https://autorai.nl/foutje-19-jarige-...-in-waddenzee/

I'm interested!
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

-- James Madison, Federalist 55

Welcome to this side of the internet!

Welcome! I will stick my oar in... If depth is a consideration, I would be tempted to create a tunnel forward of the motor, so you could raise it a bit. just slope up the bottom in the middle at about 20cm width to get the flow of water fair to the prop.
    A2

Hi Lex, great to have a Bolgerboatbuilder in the neighbourhood. Happy building. Frank

Hi Andrew,
    That's an interesting suggestion. Thanks for that. I have considered something like that. However, although it would be nice to have even less draft then the two feet the (long shaft) outboard needs, up to the 12 inches the hull draws, I don't think a tunnel combined with a short shaft outboard would work in rougher conditions. Also, it would imply cutting down on the buoyancy aft, thus increasing the boat's tendency to lift the bow and while sinking the stern. And it fear it would increase drag. Therefore, I decided I had better follow Bolger's plans in these matters. I figure he had good reason for what he did.
    Any problems in shallow waters I think think I'll be able to handle by lifting the engine a bit in these conditions. Guess we'll find out when the time comes...
    Lex

Lexx
    Ypu might search this site for shallow water tunnel designs. There have been several.

I am currently finishing off a Bolger Micro. But not to plan. Yes the flat bottom, but not the square sections, or the blunt bow. Bolger had loads of excelent ideas and the designs were well thought through. In my case, I liked the concept, but not the leaning to a first time builder.
    Have fun..
    A2

Hey Lex,
    Welcome to the forum of wood boat builders who love to share their experiences.

Thank you for starting your post; count us in as we too are shallow water cruisers (in Florida) and are nearing completion of our shallow draft dory for that purpose.

You'll get a lot of good advice here - these forum members are a vast resource for anyone's build.

Stay safe, stay healthy. . . and have fun!

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Lexx
    Ypu might search this site for shallow water tunnel designs. There have been several.

I am currently finishing off a Bolger Micro. But not to plan. Yes the flat bottom, but not the square sections, or the blunt bow. Bolger had loads of excelent ideas and the designs were well thought through. In my case, I liked the concept, but not the leaning to a first time builder.
    Have fun..
    A2
    Playing with the design is part of the fun, I agree. I'm very interested to see your adaptations of Micro, which is another long time favourite of mine, as is Martha Jane.
    Lexx

One has to note that when you open the throttle on the Micro, the boat lifts and planes on the hull proper, the central box keel stays in the water. That's why the motor is positioned as it is. So if it gets shallow, open her up to lose a few inches draft???? Not my style, but I've seen others do this to cross bars when the tide is down.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    One has to note that when you open the throttle on the Micro, the boat lifts and planes on the hull proper, the central box keel stays in the water. That's why the motor is positioned as it is. So if it gets shallow, open her up to lose a few inches draft???? Not my style, but I've seen others do this to cross bars when the tide is down.
    Not my style either, Dave. Bolger advises quite powerful outboards for planing. What I would like to do with it is quiet cruising. Speed is not what I'm looking for. And I think part of the fun of a boat like this is that you can step overboard and push when it gets too shallow. :-) So I think I'll go for a lighter outboard, maybe a 10 or 15 and forget about the planing part.

Lexx

Time to post some pictures, get you updated.

CCUF1296.jpg

This is a couple of weeks ago, and more or less the start of constructing the boat. The bottom is two sheets of 12 mm ply, glued together is a curved shape. I bent he sides to this panel, attached them with tiewraps and then filleted the seams with epoxy.

IMG_3459.jpg

Beginning to look like a boat. Well, a canoe maybe. But actually it's just the box keel.

IMG_3460.jpg

Of course this is not the actual boat, it is only the box keel. I glassed it inside and out, one layer. It feels very solid already.

IMG_3497.jpg

The world appears to have turned in this picture. Actually, the boat was upright ;-)
    I built a tent as a temporary workshop. Attached the bottom panels to the boxkeel. Fly away, baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the kind welcoming words. I hope this thread'll be what you would like to see.

Lexx

HTVY6364.jpg

Setting up of bulkheads and filleting them in place.

IMG_3515.jpg

This is the state of things up to today. Four bulkheads up, one to go.

It took me some time to decide if I had best follow the written building instructions that go with the plans, or the pictures that accompany them. The instrucions say: fix the bulkheads and bend the hull sides along their edges; the pictures say: fit temporary bulkheads at fist, so you can turn the hull upside down for easier glassing. I figured that, fitting the actual bulkheads in place of the temporary ones would be difficult. Also, I don't have the help ready to turn the boat upside down (and back again). I figure it is better (in my situation) to go on building upright and making it solid enough to stand the forces of laying the boat on its side for glassing the underside, first one side and then the other.

Awesome Boat!!! Great work!

I love a stout Box keel.

-Derek

Oregon
    Last edited by Liberty53; 08-15-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: adding more

Hi Lexx, certainly getting set up fast. I forgot about the big box keel, so the idea about a tunnel looks less viable. A friend in the US who had built a Micro, said 'STICK TO THE PLANS' more than once.. But I didn't. Still, quite happy with the way she is shaping up. Saw an OZ built one, that had raised the cabin a bit, so included that. Friend in US had mentioned that while the cabin was ok in general, headroom was a bit tight. And, he is a few inches less than I.
    Another friend, who built a big 34ft gaffer from Jay Benford's board. Said " At a point, it becomes your boat, so carry on and make it the way you want it".
    A2

I spent 10 years building my small 11 ft sailing skiff — 1/2 of the fun is building it!

For Dutch standards, there's a heatwave on: we've had 30+ C for over a week. It's nice to have good weather, but drinking beer gets to take so much time that building boats suffers. However, I have no problems with that. Today I didn't do much more than one bulkhead, the last one.

unnamed.jpg

I got some good advice from some of you. I agree with Bibro that building is fun, so it's wise to take the time to enjoy is, meanwhile dreaming of how nice it will be to sail away - well, motor away - on the seven seas or some small part of them. Andrewe suggests changing whatever it takes to personalise the thing. There I agree as well. As a matter of fact, there are some adaptations about to materialise. You'll see... But, you see, I often get caught doing things differently from how they are supposed to be done, and there are moments that I regret that tendency. I think highly of Phil Bolger and his work, and I believe he had a reason for most things he has drawn. I have been camping out on small boats long enough to know what I like to see there, so I'll change a thing or two there. But where it comes to hull shapes, I stick to the plan.

That brings me to the design, and why it appeals so much to me that I actually want to build it. You know, doing a lot with few resources is something I have always tried to do and have learnt to appreciate. Living on a low budget is part of that: I think you can have at least as much fun that way, probably more. Bolger's designs often have that quality. What I find so amazing in MT is the way Phil turns every disadvantage into a merit. He uses every single cubic inch, and his design forces the user to stay in the middle of the boat, where he / she should be. The box keel provides the room you need, but no more; at the same time, that same box keel provides the behaviour we want to see. One aspect of these box keels that is rarely mentioned but is something I appreciate a lot: it provides for drying out upright. Where I go, drying out is part of the fun. Finding a quiet corner somewhere, out of harm's way, thowing the anchor overboard and waiting for the water to go while taking a nap, reading, listening to the birds and whatever you like, then when you've landed on the sand, going for a stroll, with or without a dog. Watching the tide roll in and out again, and when you're ready for a change, lift the anchor and move on. That's what I'm after. I think MT will oblige. And quite possibly, that is what Derek likes, too. Although there are other advantages.

Lex

A sharp looking design! Looking good so far.
    Can you tell us the length, beam and what sized motor you'll be using?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Bolger designed it within 2 x 2 sheets of ply, so it's 8 feet wide and 14 1/2 feet long. However, me being me, I decided to extend the aft a bit, say 2 feet. Bolger claims 50 h.p. 'll give you 30 knots, but that's not what I want. He also says 5 h.p. 'll give you steerage, and somewhere inbetween will be the best choice. I think I'll try to buy a second hand outboard, maybe a 15, and find out how she'll handle with that.

Lex

Update.

Fitting the sides:

MT8.jpg

The side panel is glued and screwed to the stem post. I added clamps because I was a bit scared the strain when the panel was bent would be too much. It turned out ok though.

MT9.jpg

MT10.jpg

Tiewraps hold the side panel to the bottom panel. Curves fit together nicely. I used a clamp and a screw here and there to keep the bulkheads from slipping aft.

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

Beginning to look like an actual boat!

Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
    For Dutch standards, there's a heatwave on: we've had 30+ C for over a week. It's nice to have good weather, but drinking beer gets to take so much time that building boats suffers. However, I have no problems with that. Today I didn't do much more than one bulkhead, the last one.

unnamed.jpg

I got some good advice from some of you. I agree with Bibro that building is fun, so it's wise to take the time to enjoy is, meanwhile dreaming of how nice it will be to sail away - well, motor away - on the seven seas or some small part of them. Andrewe suggests changing whatever it takes to personalise the thing. There I agree as well. As a matter of fact, there are some adaptations about to materialise. You'll see... But, you see, I often get caught doing things differently from how they are supposed to be done, and there are moments that I regret that tendency. I think highly of Phil Bolger and his work, and I believe he had a reason for most things he has drawn. I have been camping out on small boats long enough to know what I like to see there, so I'll change a thing or two there. But where it comes to hull shapes, I stick to the plan.

That brings me to the design, and why it appeals so much to me that I actually want to build it. You know, doing a lot with few resources is something I have always tried to do and have learnt to appreciate. Living on a low budget is part of that: I think you can have at least as much fun that way, probably more. Bolger's designs often have that quality. What I find so amazing in MT is the way Phil turns every disadvantage into a merit. He uses every single cubic inch, and his design forces the user to stay in the middle of the boat, where he / she should be. The box keel provides the room you need, but no more; at the same time, that same box keel provides the behaviour we want to see. One aspect of these box keels that is rarely mentioned but is something I appreciate a lot: it provides for drying out upright. Where I go, drying out is part of the fun. Finding a quiet corner somewhere, out of harm's way, throwing the anchor overboard and waiting for the water to go while taking a nap, reading, listening to the birds and whatever you like, then when you've landed on the sand, going for a stroll, with or without a dog. Watching the tide roll in and out again, and when you're ready for a change, lift the anchor and move on. That's what I'm after. I think MT will oblige. And quite possibly, that is what Derek likes, too. Although there are other advantages.

Lex
    Hey Lexx,

The last paragraph's sentences we've highlighted is what building a boat and cruising on a budget is all about; we couldn't have said it any better.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

Thanks, Joe.
    The advantage of having a slow boat is that the voyage lasts longer.

Nice to see another micro/mini project, sounds like we share the same philosophy when it comes to the use of our little boats
    would you mind slowing down a bit, you are making my mini tug progress look terribly slow

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by mermod View Post
    Nice to see another micro/mini project, sounds like we share the same philosophy when it comes to the use of our little boats
    would you mind slowing down a bit, you are making my mini tug progress look terribly slow

Phill

Hey mermod,

Your build may be slow but it's pure finishing perfection. BTW, that's three of us that love quiet coves, sandy beaches, easy cruising and being in the moment.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

Update.

IMG_3538.jpg

Glued the first layer of clamps on. Here on starboard.

IMG_3537.jpg

I ran out of G-clamps, so had to wait for the epoxy to set before I could do the same on the port side.

IMG_3539.jpg

Meanwhile, I could do the motor well sides. Filleted them in place.

Update.

Fully respecting Bolger's genius, I thought I might add two feet of my own.

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

Basically what I did was use the trimtabs Phil drew as a add-on as a base for getting a little more length on deck. I stretched the sheer of the deck line so the height of the new transom is no higher than the original. The motor support stays as designed. The motor well sole I'll extend to the new transom on both sides of the motor.

Lex

That makes a nice addition.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hello Lexx,

I really like this particular Bolger design and feel privileged to see one going together like yours. I keep looking closely at your photos desperately attempting to see some nice big epoxy fillets and fiberglass in lieu of chine logs. Not being in your shoes, all I might offer as a friendly tip is, do not wait too long or,to put it another way, do not build in too much structure which will impede you later on,if not discourage, the laying in of those nice big and required epoxy fillets. They can be a pain in the rear if you must assume the role of a contortionist to get them done just right. Remember that a lot of the space will eventually be forever inaccessible later on in the build.

Continued success and keep well hydrated during those heat waves!

Cheers!

Peter Lenihan
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    Hello Lexx,

I really like this particular Bolger design and feel privileged to see one going together like yours. I keep looking closely at your photos desperately attempting to see some nice big epoxy fillets and fiberglass in lieu of chine logs. Not being in your shoes, all I might offer as a friendly tip is, do not wait too long or,to put it another way, do not build in too much structure which will impede you later on,if not discourage, the laying in of those nice big and required epoxy fillets. They can be a pain in the rear if you must assume the role of a contortionist to get them done just right. Remember that a lot of the space will eventually be forever inaccessible later on in the build.

Continued success and keep well hydrated during those heat waves!

Cheers!

Peter Lenihan

Hi Peter,
    Thanks, I value your advice, especially because I know your thorough style of working from reading a lot of "just for the fun of it". And the high standard you maintain in finish. Also I remember the discussions between you and the late Saltiguy. Which brings me to another Bolger boat, Paul Simard's Champlain. I know that build was more or less in your back yard. A member of Paul's family appproached me some time ago, asking i I would me interested in finishing that boat instead of starting a MT. I was, but transportation (and the cost of it) turned out to be a problem. I was wondering what has become of Paul's Champlain. Do you know?

As for filleting, don't worry: it's going on according to plan. Here are some pictures.

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

Sorry about having to strain your neck, WB keeps rotating pictures...

The heatwave has passed, but I keep hydrating. Beter be safe than sorry...

Lex

Hello Lex,

I breathed a long sigh of relief upon seeing your fillets. I really did! I know how it may be tempting to call it a day at this point but, out of idle curiosity, are you planning to fiberglass the interior bare expanses of plywood as well? That is to say,perhaps not every square centimeter but the bottom and walls of the box keel? I know I would and before doing so, I would be giving those fillets already in place a lovely smooth sanding so as to: a)provide some"tooth" for the cloth laying to come and b) make that last bit of fiberglassing go on really slick and professional like. Open faced plywood needs all the help we can give it and years down the road, as you lay gently to a secure anchor, soothed by the quiet passage of the day and changing light, your thoughts will be unfettered of any concerns about whats' going on down there in the box keel.

As for Paul's CHAMPLAIN. I was contacted years ago too, after his death, by his wife. Had I not been thoroughly engaged with WINDERMERE, I would have jumped for it. This was the boat I first wanted to build before a long exchange with Mr.Bolger, who made me an offer I could not refuse along with a reasoning I could not refute, changed the course of my future.

Regrettably, I do not know what ever became of his wonderful build. I can only hope it has found a good home.

No strain in my neck can keep me away from ogling photos. I am sorta crazy like that.

I applaud your pro-active stance regarding hydration. One simply never knows when either the next heat wave may strike or a drought occur. You will survive!!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Bolger's micro trawler is a design that attracts admiration from many who want a boat with a bit of panache. I have no personal knowledge of this boat but do have a story that affected enough interest to look into it. Some years ago as many nearby boats were making their way to the Beaufort, NC boat show, an owner of a micro trawler decided to take his boat on its own bottom down some of the relatively exposed NC waterway to Beaufort. The wind had been strong from the NE for a couple days making the path definitely one to consider before venturing out in a small boat. He came east out of Bay River into Pamlico Sound and then turned south into the Neuse River with the NE wind and resultant waves behind him. The Neuse River is about 5 miles wide at the Pamlico Sound juncture and narrows to about 2 1/2 miles further on.

What exactly happened is conjecture but these coastal waters are shallow with a depth of less than 25 feet (well less in most places) and not to be trifled with in these conditions. It is clear the the trawler foundered and went over at some point in the Neuse River. The boat was found after going ashore several miles down wind and his drowned body found well separated by miles from the boat.

I live on the Neuse River aside from where the boat must have gone over so am very familiar with these conditions and would have never taken this boat on this path at that time. A wide flat bottom boat with relatively extensive high top hamper has no business being out in these conditions, especially running down steep and sharp waves that invite a broach from inattention, even in more well found boats than Bolger's little trawler. Several fishing trawlers far bigger and well manned by experienced crew have foundered in rough weather at this junction in the years I've lived here. Loss of life has been tragically inescapable in many of these instances.

This is not to discourage your efforts or change your path but to caution you that limitations of this type of boat require consideration in your home waters that are much exposed to conditions that may be similar to those often found here.

Edited to add: Hi Peter. Like many, I followed the building of your boat with interest over the long process as well as the evident pleasure the building and cruising have given you.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 08-24-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    Tom L

Hi guys,

Thanks for your concern.

Peter: don't worry, the box keel already has 1 layer of glass/epoxy inside and outside, and will receive more. I intend to cover everything that can possibly get wet, inside or out, be it from seawater, rain or condensation, with epoxy. I'll glass the entire outside of the hull, including decks, and will give the chines some extra attention.

Tom: I think anyone with a little experience in boating will understand that if you are looking for seaworthyness, MT would not be your first pick. She's a joke and should be considered as such. But I like her, and I hope I'll have the common sense (!) to stay aware of her limitations.

Maybe I should give you all some background. Skip if you're not interested. It's going to get personal. I'm 69, and ever since my dad took me sailing for a week in a rented open boat whe I was 12, I've been hooked. I just couldn't stay away from boats. I've borrowed sailboats, rented them, built a few and bought some. My present boat is a traditional Dutch sailboat (a zeeschouw), steel, 28 ft, 5 metric tons, 30 square m sail. 42 years old.

P1160776.jpg

P1160781.jpg

Waaksaamheid.jpg

Sailing will not pay the bills, so I've been doing some other things on the side. Among them were raising three beautiful children; working as an upholsterer (is that English? I hope so); reading some; listening to music and playing some, too; teaching children touch-typing; and building wooden things. And though I'll surely miss the feeling Neil Young describes so well in "Through My Sails", I think it is a wise decision to scale down a bit and revert to simply motoring in a "keep it simple" boat. Building another boat has been a thing I've been postponing too long, and I think Bolger's MT is exactly what will fit my age and present lifestyle.
    Please forgive an old man his ramblings.

Lex
    Last edited by Lexx; 08-24-2020 at 02:18 PM.