Thread: This Goes Here

Default This Goes Here

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: This Goes Here

That is a miracle. In my experience, no matter how long you keep it, you do not need it until the week after you finally got rid of it...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Waste not, want not.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    That is a miracle. In my experience, no matter how long you keep it, you do not need it until the week after you finally got rid of it...

Thanks! I thought it was only me!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

George, I think that it is one of the unwritten rules of the universe.

I take it he doesn't have a wood stove.

ugh. After my Grandfather died, it took two dumpsters to empty out his barn of rotted useless wood he had been "saving". Most of it in small sections like above. He was not even a woodworker! If any neighbors threw out wood, he would bring it home
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

It's not just wood. We filled a dumpster and a half when my mother in law moved from the house in which she and my late father in law live. They never threw anything away. Not sure why he thought they needed 17 shovels, 25 ski poles (mismatched) and a five gallon bucket of ball point pens---"hey they were giving the pens away...."
    Elect a clown expect a circus

^Children of the Depression era, I'll bet.

My Dad, another child of the depression and pack-rat, salvaged a truckload of planks from the local horse-racing track in my hometown when it closed. I was probably around three years old when that happened. He carefully stacked & stickered the inch-thick straight-grain pine planks out by the garage and covered them with a tarp. He found uses for them over the years, most notably when he finished the basement of the house into a rec room. There were still a dozen or so planks - now stored inside the garage - a few years ago when I had to build a small, rough box as a display piece. As best we can figure out, the racetrack was built in the early 1920's, torn down in the late 1950's, and I used some of the last of the wood in the 2010's. Ninety-year-old air-dried pine; broad planks (12 - 16" wide), aged to an even silver-gray, and ever so easy to split! Go to your local wood dealer and try to get you some of dat! (There are still a few planks left out in Dad's garage...)
    Last edited by mmd; 08-13-2020 at 10:51 AM.

^Children of the Depression era, I'll bet.
    Exactly. And with a big house on almost an acre. We kept finding stuff stashed in the back forty....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    It's not just wood. We filled a dumpster and a half when my mother in law moved from the house in which she and my late father in law live. They never threw anything away. Not sure why he thought they needed 17 shovels, 25 ski poles (mismatched) and a five gallon bucket of ball point pens---"hey they were giving the pens away...."
    If you have a favorite restaurant, a five gallon bucket of pens could ingratiate you to the wait staff FOREVER!

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Same with my dad. Objects are kind of physical references for memories and emotions. I threw out a few pairs of my grandfather's pants that dad had that were 50 yrs old. A few boxes of some special round that grampy used in shooting competition. Before we moved him to assisted care he asked where his cutting board was I said I threw it out because it was all split apart. With some anger he said “You shouldn’t do that it was a gift from my sister”...”dad, you had left it in the sink for a month covered in water and coffee grounds”

Amen to that! The problem for me is that I have too many nubbin ends of wood saved and stashed.

Saving cut-offs costs me a lot of time, not to mention the storage space. I was making a footstoo -- how hard can that be? -- a while back and came up short when it came to making the top. I had to go through the entire inventory, and the only stuff near the right dimensions was mahogany or maple. Wasn't about to use that, so, put the pile back together, jump in the internal combustion vehicle, and head to Home Despot for some plywood and a little bag of cheetos to reward myself like a rat in a maze.

The good news is, I used up three half--spray-cans of silver engine enamel painting it. No idea why I had three half--spray-cans of silver engine enamel. Probably twenty years old. Gone now, hooray!
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

-- James Madison, Federalist 55

And she says, why do you keep all that stuff?

Truth.

I needed to jack up the front of the mower the other day, and dammit that 20" length of 4x4 would've been just the thing to use as a jack spacer but nooooo I threw all of that away in the last phase of the move.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

You have 3 pieces of wood saved, then you use 1, then you find the perfect use for the wood except you need another piece to make it work so you buy another piece of wood and end up with spares, then the cycle repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    I take it he doesn't have a wood stove.
    I do, and that piece would have been kindling years ago.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

One corollary to this is not being able to find the piece of wood though you remember it is somewhere around the house. So you go buy another piece of wood to do the job. One week later the piece you were originally looking for turns up.
    Will

Works with tools as well. I can't find my crowbar. As soon as I buy a replacement, it will turn up

And pliers. Got lots of extras now (but ya can't have too many). Screwdrivers.

Never misplaced a crowbar before.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I've been using a lot of stashed stuff, native timber gets kept, straight pine. In the last 2 years I built a mezzanine floor on some racking, used pine to drop a ceiling in a bathroom, some native rimu to repair the floor, that western red got ripped to become window trim and skirting, last week was more rimu moulding nails and all. Pulled the nails through the back so no blowouts..back on as skirting and window trim in another bathroom. Can't buy the stuff and it was the same profile as used in the 80's house it was going in. .. looks like it was put there in 1985 polyurethane and all. Patina!
    That's all worked well and of course you get to say " see why I keep this stuff"... certainly a few grand if I had to buy it but more importantly it was there to hand.

Where it goes wrong is this. Sometime in the 90s I was looking for something at a house demo yard and spotted some de nailed rimu weather boards in my houses profile. There was hundreds of metres there but after checking the profile I came back and bought 50 metres or so for repairs. 100 yr old houses need repairing from time to time, but they are repairable so that's the thing.
    Anyway , over time that native timber has had sanctions placed on its felling and milling and is now hard to get. Once it was like mdf or plywood but now it's valuable.
    I dunno, I have a weather board ( you call it clapboard?) job to do but use the rimu? Not sure, maybe it deserves better. It's tempting to buy new treated pine but here's the thing, it's crap.
    Last edited by John B; 08-13-2020 at 02:41 PM.

My wife thinks I wrote the OP. Our garage is full of wood like that, and I DO use it, eventually.

Commendable if one piece of wood was all he had stored I suppose.

05.JPG

My Father-In-Law is very much like that, but boy is it handy when you need a specific nut, bolt or other piece of this or that.

We’ll be working away on some bit of a car or snowblower or lawn tractor or who knows what and he’ll get this faraway look in his eye and say “I think I might have just what we need...” Then he’ll hurry off to the garage or basement or attic or his special tarped over “stash” out behind his old motorhome (which hasn’t turned a wheel in a decade but itself is stuffed full of...well, stuff).

Sure enough, he’ll emerge triumphantly, whatever bit or bob held aloft, and say something like, “...and she thought I was a fool to keep all this stuff...”

LOL of course “she” is the long suffering Mother-In-Law...

I asked him once when he started collecting all his bits n pieces and he said it started back on the farm he grew up on in western Canada in the forties. “We were dirt poor. If you couldn’t fix it, you were going hungry. I once watched my dad weld teeth back on gears because we couldn’t afford to buy parts to fix something...”

So....I remain resigned to the fact his daughter, my wife, and I will be carting untold dumpsters of junk away after he’s gone because try as we might, even in his eighties now, we simply cannot get him interested in cleaning up their place in preparation for the inevitable move into assisted living sometime down the road. She’s gone out there many times, saying “dad, today we’ll tackle the basement together...” They’ll get halfway into box one, pull out an old toaster from 1977 that’s missing a plug and he’ll say something like, “no no, honey - that’s worth some real money - just gotta fix it...” Sigh...

Yup, some years back, I had to fly from Minnesota to California to fix some stuff at my Father-in-law's house - he was such a grouch that no tradesperson would do any work at the house. While I was there, I went to open the furnace room door, and found it stuffed full of 2 x 4 offcuts. There were 2 furnaces there , with a tag indicating the furnace filters were due for replacement in 1986 - I was onsite in 2004

Rick

I remember reading a saying (probably here) that said: "You have become your father when you save a piece of wood for stirring paint."
    .....Oh sh!t.
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

True story: in the 60s, we were all in the family station wagon going down the highway when my father suddenly brakes hard and veers off on the shoulder. My mother is alarmed. What's the matter, she demands. Wait here, says my father, and trots back a couple of hundred feet up the road. He returns with a coil of copper wire that he had seen in the shoulder. What are you doing?, she asks. My father says, I can use this some day.

Fast forward to the 80s, when we were building my parents' retirement home in Vermont. Lo and behold, that 20 year old copper wire gets used. My father feels vindicated.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

#STOP THE COUP

. . .

A BIT ABOUT MY WOOD
    By Andy Rooney

When i come home with wood i have found in some obscure sawmill, lumberyard or farmers barn, my wife invariably asks one of two questions:"Dont you have enough wood?" or alternately, "What are you going to do with that?"For me, having wood is an end in itself. I own boards that i would rather have hanging on my living room wall than a Rembrandt painting. At the bottom of my wood rack, I have stickered seven cherry boards 14ft long and 25 in wide at their widest point. I used to have eight but i made two tables out of one of them. I had to eliminate one car from the garage when i built the rack to accommodate it. I bought this wood from a man who had kept it in his barn for 20 years. I like the tables but they do not give me any more pleasure than do the seven boards. I have looked down at that cherry several thousand times in the ten years i've had it and derived pleasure on every occasion. What would i do with them that could be better than that.
    Rattling the teacups.

I was once summoned by a local woman (I hesitate to say "lady") who wanted to sell me all of the "beautiful" timber that her father had left her. She wanted a fairly large amount of cash and when I tried to explain to her that as the entire large amount of timber was chock-a-block full of borers it was of no use she got extremely abusive, foul-mouthed and told me that she would effing well find someone who knew what they were effing talking about to buy it.

I guess that it's still there resembling a large pile of powdered timber..
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....