Thread: 6M on Southcoast CL

Default Re: 6M on Southcoast CL

Attached Images Attached Images

Her price has dropped consistently from about $40K down to this. These things run in cycles and the northeast fleet (and I don’t remember her racing with them recently) seems a bit down, but it may all come back tomorrow. She would be a lot of fun to sail in the Eggemoggin Reach and stuff like that.

Only thing about it, a finely restored six costs four or five times what they are asking. That being said, 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago, I would have been on the phone.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

She is worth 8k if they are lucky. Time is moving on these boats despite being loverly. The problem is feeding and care for a boat that has few remaining in its class. Half of the fun with these boats is sailing with others of its kind.

Few have time and energy to take of them. If you are like the white haired owner shown below in this ever smaller drying pool, you already have your great boat. Eventually she will be donated to a tax charitable organization and finally arrive at the foot of an old dreamer and she will disappear. Until then, I wish him luck in finding the right next owner.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.19.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.19.07 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-09-2020 at 02:26 PM.

There seems to be a growing fleet up in the Seattle area. Too bad this one's on the wrong coast. If the owner really wants the boat to live he should offer it free to someone who'll give it the care it needs.

A buddy just had one shipped from Scandinavia. Shipping this one would not be hard. The guys in the PNW have several trailers. Ted, I think you are being unnecessarily pessimistic. Of course, all boats lose the battle sooner or later, but there is a good reason so many metre boats survive 80-90 years after being built, and the quality of the build, the uniqueness of the design, and the beauty of the lines may very Well find her a new home with an owner to give her new life. I hope so.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Mickey, yes I am a pessimist. I suspect shipping one like your friends from Europe to the US cost more than the value of this one if you included the set up - which makes me wonder why he did not offer on this one or the many others if only he made few inquiries. We all have watched wooden boat prices decline. Around me, I have watched the best wooden race boats go for a song and so many more end up in a dumpster for lack of care. (Heck, even my own boat that I sold last month to its next caretakers, a really nice guy, got if for a price that is less than 1 percent of the cost to build a new one and I just spent 5 years restoring it for serious San Francisco bay racing including 2 sets of sail,including brand new Carbon/Kelvar sails, a nice working galley with sink, a head and pipe births for 4. In many ways one of the best wooden boats built in my lifetime.) We have witnessed more wonderful wooden boats crushed in the last 15 years than we thought they would. We are heading into a world wide recession and those who have our similar tastes already have their special wooden boat. Those folks who have there special 6 meter class boat, Knarrs and other similar woodies usually do not take younger non family members out on them so people only know them through remote photo or when they pass in a ghost sail. And what allows us to keep these historic boats is the yards that service them and they are closing. Many of the people who might want buy these boats are dreamers not craftspersons - Not everyone is a woodworker and a shipwright. And to keep them now requires either a climate and conditions to keep them in the water full time or a barn to rehab and restore them season after season.

There are regional places that have a heart beat of a 6 meter fleet in the US but not even close to what goes on in Europe. A person that wants a boat that sails like this would be far better off buying a Columbia 5.5 or an Etchells - either one can be had for 3 to 8k, often with a trailer and a set of sails, easily pulled by a regular truck into regional and international fleet racing with 2 or three in the cockpit or doing even some modest daysailing.

I love 6 meter wooden boats. But they are not family boats. Frankly, they are not the pleasant day sailor that we would hope and requires more work than one would expect to sail them well. The person who would want to add one to their fleet are fewer and farther between. This is why I wish the seller of this one good luck. I hope they find the right person who understands what it is and sell it to them for their ability to keep and sail it and not who can afford it up front without the wisdom, knowledge and dedication to keep it so special.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-10-2020 at 09:22 PM.