Thread: Catboats in The Netherlands

Default Catboats in The Netherlands

We have some in our country, even while the Nestor of Yachting spoke against them in his bible 'De Zeilsport ': Enough of this not recommandeble type of boat', after criticising the wide beam, the long boom and the place of the mast. And so against all odds a Catboatclub was started. Jaap Kraayenhof made me aware of it when he chose Lyle Hess' catboat also because it just fitted in his workshop. He took her to Brittanny, shipped her to the USA and organised a Catboat weekend on my local sailing water, the Lauwersmeer. I asked him if I would be welcome, after all you can see my lugger'Lucia 'as a catyawl, no jib and he replied every boat was welcome, hence a few noncatboats here.Catboat en Lucia.jpeg

On the picture we see Lucia, the diminutive oar-and-sailboat, and Charlotte 2, Jaaps Lyle Hess boat.

Default Re: Catboats in The Netherlands

20200718_110910.jpg
    I think a Charles Witholz design. The owner lives nearby, a few minutes on my bycicle and built her some 20 years ago, but now he thinks of building/buying a simpler, lighter boat. I suggested perhaps a lighter gaff, carbon, but this was not well received, not in style, I believe. I have a few things to learn on the mores in this club.

20200712_151413.jpg Nice waterway in this area. It used to be part of the Waddenzee, salt water but it was reclaimed from the sea and now freshwater. The good thing is that you can allways sail, if the sea is to rough or time limited you stay here, when you have a few days you can go through the lock and sail on the Waddenzee with currents, tides. More difficult and hardly mosquitos.

20200707_094204.jpg20200710_165017.jpg
    rudder details, and an old Catboat that was built in Germany about 100 years ago.

20200714_164615.jpg I think this is a Laurent Giles Jolly Boat. Perhaps not a real cat but close enough.

20200715_190148.jpg Nice big cockpit and alas, we are not good at social distancing

DSC_0023.jpgDSC_0029.jpgDSC_0030.jpg

The new Chebacco from my friend MJ. Amazing guy, started building her in september, first sail this spring. Got help from his father who hoped to do a father/son project. I was a bit involved, helped him out with the kit for his mainsail. With a tent over the cockpit she is a great campcruiser.

Great! Thanks.

Thanks Thad, there is some more. Frank

Good!

Excellent thread! Thanks for providing this window on your world.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Kevin, you are welcome.DSC_0031.jpg

This cutter is built by the carpenter/boatbuilder Pieter Dijksta, a colleague of Jaap Kraayenhof the organnizer, which explains her presence. He designed and built her himself, and the hull is made of aluminium, she has a shallow keel and a ballasted centreboard. Teak deck, surrounded by varnished mahogany. veeerrry pretty and I am sorry I donDSC_0033.jpg't have a more detailed close-up. ( and I made a white/blue topsail for her, hope to see her fly some day)
    She crosses an 100 year old German Catboat, I think built by Abeking& Rasmussen

Very nice!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hi FF,
    Have you spoken to the owner / builder of the yellow Chebacco based at Oostmahorn? Yes, I know, it's not a cat... but he may be kindred spirit.
    Lex

"Excellent thread! Thanks for providing this window on your world."

Absolutely! Tks again. / Jim

Hi FF
    We were wandering about by the river in Rochefort and a catboat arrived by the the entrance to the marina (Port de Plaisance) Seems they had just launched her after trailing down from Germany, were she was built by an outfit that had made several small ones, but this as their first biggy, at 21 ft. Of course, at 10 ft wide, they had to have a 'wide load' car ahead with lights and signs. But, a friend can do that. Owner is a German national, who I have met several times since, retired here. It is very big inside for the length!

Lex, I know the owner ( made the sails for him) and introduced my friend MJ to him.
    and thanx for the compliments, we are spending more time here because could not go to Italy in spring
    Andrew, think we must meet. All te best, Frank[
    ATTACH=CONFIG]66016[/ATTACH]
    we met this Aak and I

t[ATTACH=CONFIG]66017[/ATTACHihought she looked pretty. Probably a charter boat with guests. Boat must be over 100 years old.

text going funny
    Small catboat and i tlooks like he routed out the seams and filled them with sika.
    The owner were a viking style helmet of knitted wool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DSC_0054.jpgDSC_0055.jpg
    Hillegonda, I think the Charles Wittholz boat, and Charlotte 2. Both sport a long bowsprit and I recut an old gennaker for Jaap, to help the boat in light weather.
    Jaap executed a major surgery on her after suffering longtime criticism about her freeboard. It practically drove him from the forum and it was no this fault but the designers who had passed away by then.
    He cut her in 2 lengthwise , and put the lid back on, as I understood. Very couragious.
    Jaap told me he shared a cabin once during the Trad. Enkhuizen Boatshow with Lance Lee. He told Lance about his boat and about her name, from a famous American Schooner, I think, and then Lance replied: 'But I know that boat , I worked on her to pay for my studies. Small world.

It is so hot in here I cannot do much more then sitting behind my computer, which is a shame cause I have yesterday 5 sail kits waiting. One for a Mike Storer Canoe, a Drascombe coaster rig, and a Dipping Lugsail for a Hastings Punt, but tonight we are promised we will have " Blitzen und Donner" with plenty rain. And I have a few more pics from a German catboater. 20200711_165628.jpg20200718_111143.jpg20200718_111211.jpg20200718_111155.jpg20200718_111403.jpg20200711_165628.jpg

Wish I could prevent them capsizing

20200718_121239.jpg

I like especially this shot of the Chebacco when she shows of her chines. Sorry the picture is tilted
    20200718_122109.jpg And the alu in a classic shot

Very nice boatsjes Frank, thank you.

Una boat
    I think that is what the Germans call a catboat
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Una boat
    I think that is what the Germans call a catboat
    That's what the English called them. Bob Fish designed and built Una, and I've heard that the Germans used to call them Bubfish boats. Don't know if that's true.

I think catboats would be ideal for Dutch waters. Thanks for the thread!

Guys, thanks for your appreciation. I have enjoyed the weekend and the sharing in this thread with you. I too think Catboats with centreboards would be ideal for our waters and the 2 nestors who reviewed them in 'De Zeilsport', did us no favor, they actually set back sailing here for at least 2 decades. In Germany they have their beautiful 'Rennjolle', the English got Maurice Griffiths with his nice keel - centreboarders before- and plywood bilge keelers after the war. And the French have a whole lot of fast, functional little centreboarders. I fact I may buy me a 'Lanaverre 510', ok, end of Rant. And Thread.
    But last weekend we were there again at the 'Noorderraid ', with some other very nice little boats. As they say 'Watch this space'.

One nice thing about the catboat centerboard is that it kicks up easily when you run into shallow water, and with the shallow rudder, you can operate in shallow water without danger of damage to the rudder or centerboard. It's a lot easier to damage a high aspect centerboard or rudder.

Nice pictures! Especially on shots like that one above, Chebacco reminds me of the Miracle Dinghy I built a million years ago, a Jack Holt design. Also a five plank boat.