Thread: Captain Robert P. Beebe

Default Captain Robert P. Beebe

Trying to find out more about Cap't Beebe, I know he was the designer of the original Passage Maker. Would like to know his interest in shallow draft boats specifically Sharpies.
    I see he has designed Sharpies, my question is, he completed line drawings of three of Ralph Middleton Munroe designs, Presto, Utilis and Wabun. Trying to understand his initiative to complete these three drawings.

Default Re: Captain Robert P. Beebe

Hi Michael, welcome aboard!
    Try this:
    https://research.mysticseaport.org/coll/coll286/

Let us know what else you find.

Thanks John,
    I'v visited Mystic and purchased the drawing for Presto. There are a lot of documents in Beebe's collection that I can go through but, I was hoping someone may have knowledge of Beebe's interest in Ralph Munroe's designs.
    Or, is it that he had a general interest in shallow draft Sharpies?

I'm sure I've read some of his writing, and seen some designs. I don't recall much beyond that.

He's published several books. I am currently reading "Voyaging Under Power", which is a very well written document providing excellent insight into design and engineering principles of offshore passage making.

Thanks, I'v looked at his books but, everything is about the Passage Maker type design and use, nothing about shallow draft Sharpie design boats. If there were no books published on the subject maybe there are articles in magazines of the period or, someone has more knowledge about Beebe.

I took the time to research the Beebe manuscript collection. There is a folder with "Notes related to Presto", there is also folders with "Study of the Sharpie design".
    I'v contacted Mystic and inquired to the number of documents in the folder with intent to purchase copies.
    Thanks John.

This is all very interesting. Keep up the research, Michael. I have three Beebe Presto drawings (Utilis and Wabun the others) and have read one Passagemaker book. I did build a 13' Presto ketch and have had a brief sail in CARIB II. I think much of Munroe's ideas embodied in these boats. Thanks. I'd think of visiting Mystic to go through some of that material if it is possible and would be helpful.

Very cool Michael! Keep us posted.

Thanks Thad, I would love to see a photo of your 13' Presto, where did the design come from? The reason for my research is to build a large scale model of Presto. The most noted boat of Munroe's is the Egret but, in my opinion the most important is Presto. The Munroe family have been nice enough to lend me the half hull model Munroe originally carved. I also have the drawing his son completed taken from the half hull model. In both cases it was not possible to establish the waterline, this is why I have reverted to Beebe's drawing. Because I'm considering using Beebe's drawing I would like to under his interest in Munroe's designs so, as said I will get copies of his notes on Presto from Mystic. FYI, I built a model of the Carib I and donated to the Barnacle Historic State Park in Coconut Grove FL. I'm a volunteer at the park and have also built models of Munroe's Kingfish, Egret, Savanilla and the first Proa he built. I'v also built a few small boats at the Barnacle. Carib II was in this area last year and sold, not sure to who. If you're interested Munroe wrote a book "The Commodore's Story" and its available from the park gift shop, its great.

I have some prints. Otherwise, if you go to my website, www.thaddanielsonboats.com you should see a picture of her sailing. I have THE COMMODORE'S STORY, a couple copies of Gilpin's book and I used to have the book of Munroe's photographs. I built the 13' 'mini-Presto' lapstrake by eye looking at the Presto lines by Beebe. Went beamier to get accommodation and form stability. Sailed the nuts!

Your 13' Presto is beautiful. Munroe's designs of shallow draft, center-boarded yachts "at sea" was important and, controversial at the time. The Carib line of designs were proven at sea, one of the most interesting was the Kona owned by F. Gray Griswold a sport fishing writer of the time. Griswold has written many books, one of which is "The Tarpon", the stories of Tarpon fishing are onboard the Kona with photos. Have you seen the book "The Yacht Alice"? FYI, speaking of the Egret, about 1985 there was a boat building course at Miami-Dade Community College and they built a replica of Egret. The replica Egret is moored at The Barnacle on Biscayne Bay and we sail her all the time.

I have had THE YACHT ALICE and read it, I still have the short book about building ALICE including the design drawings. I didn't know about KONA. I knew there was an Egret there. I like the Frank Brown drawing on the Egret type in the HAMMS collection which I think more accurate than others. Good sailing with what you have?!?!