Thread: Folkboat plans and folkboat inspired dinghy design

Default Folkboat plans and folkboat inspired dinghy design

Hello,

I have started repairing a nordic Folkboat Swedish clinker build from 1959, probably the keel timber and some other things will have to be replaced.

To completely understand the folkboat construction I was considering few steps for the upcoming winter work.

1. Building a scale model, small out of balsa or pine.

2. Making or hopefully finding a digital 3D folkboat plans, in some of the boat building software like free!ship, delftship or something like that. DO you know is there anyone made this allready? I have found pictures of original plans, its been very helpful but as the new age is here it would be maybe silly not to have a fully digital 3d plans.
    Anyone have suggestions which software should I use?

3. This is a tricky one. To design and build a folkboat inspired dinghy rowing and sailing.With the same or similar keel and planking construction but maybe without cast iron ballast keel. Not sure about the iron keel, because I dont know how would i make this, was hoping to be just made out of wood.
    This step I hope would give me a practice run for rebulidng keel and stern, practice using copper rivets for plank connection etc. I was thinking about 3 to 5 m LOA for 1 to 2 people.

What do you people think?

Default Re: Folkboat plans and folkboat inspired dinghy design

A scale model out of pine would be good. You can use it to suss out all the construction issues of the backbone with a decent sized scale model, and you should not need to build a dingy with a yacht deep keel if you do.
    Build a clinker dingy by all means, but to a conventional rowing punt design. Go for a wineglass transom form as that will include most boatbuilding skills.

Apart from the keel, what other bits need attention?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Yes some kind of clinker built with wineglass transom rowing dinghy is in vision. With possibility to add a sail later on would be ideal.
    On the folkboat the keel seems to need work, some part of the stern/transom. Keelbolts and floor timber will have to be replaced, that's the scary part. Some cracked ribs are to be replaced or somehow fixed. Few planks are cracked, will see how much they leak if they are a priority or not. But expect that's it's in "perfect condition" I have a thred in the fixing part of forum for that. Do you have any concrete design suggestions for the dinghy maybe?

Together with my fellow students I've done a 14 ft Whitehall once in traditional lapstrake/clinker, western red cedar planking and oak structural parts, wineglass transom, building time 10 days.
    It certainly gave me essential experience for larger projects.
    Good luck with your Folkboat.
    IMG_1276.jpg

You could do it using concrete, for the keel, but it would be lot of work for a horrible boat. WoodenBoat store has plans for clinker/lapstrake dinghies, built the traditional way with rivets. Or you can build a glued lapstrake boat.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    building time 10 days.
    Thanks for the advice!

This building time always makes me curious, often people are not so eagar to share this "detail"

when you say 10 days, do you mean one person working 10 full working days or a group working 10 days. How much "man hours " are you talking about?

For the concrete, suggestion, but probably ****ty result. Some kind of lead keel is something i was playing in my mind with.

But yes for the dinghy probably will just go with some of the ready designs and thats it.

Anyone has folkboat designs in 3d "format"?

If you have a bit of 3D CAD experience,you may be able to use the drawings here as a foundation for a model. https://www.classicboat.co.uk/uncate...sign-analysis/ .You would be very unwise to try to build a boat to conform to the class rules from such minimal information.

I'm not trying to build a folkboat from start. I have one already while fixing it I would be more comfortable if having model in my computer. I have drawings

The building time was 10 working days with 9 students and 1 instructor. 8 hours a day, so approximately 800 hours building time.
    I must admit that the building molds were provided by the boat building school( saved 1? day)
    The boat was ready for sanding and varnishing at the end of the last day ( picture).
    The black shed on the picture was the building shed with all the necessary boatbuilding tools, thickness planers, sawing machines etc.

I do not own a folkboat CAD plan, sorry!
    Good luck, when you start rebuilding post some pictures please?

I will try to post as much as possible. For the dinghy building I wil see if I find a place to build it, otherwise just a scale model this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Together with my fellow students I've done a 14 ft Whitehall once in traditional lapstrake/clinker, western red cedar planking and oak structural parts, wineglass transom, building time 10 days.
    It certainly gave me essential experience for larger projects.
    Good luck with your Folkboat.
    IMG_1276.jpg
    With Bert in Den Helder? Is it Katherine?

Ja

Fantastische boot, gefeliciteerd!!

Thanks, it has been a while; april 2017.
    The boat was donated to one of the students from Friesland.
    He didn't order a sail from you?
    Last edited by dutchpp; 07-28-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Probably he did. Will try to post video about it.

Unfortunedly I cannot post the video. I admire 'Katherine' and with her wineglass transom she is both pretty and challenging. When you have built that boat you can build anything. The design is a publication of Woodenboat, very detailed and with an elaborate description of the building proces.

Have you tried contacting the various Folkboat Class Associations to ask about CAD / digitized plans? There is an International Class Assoc (http://www.folkboat.com/) and in various other countries - including Finland (https://www.folkkari.net/)

What you seek may very well be already out there.....

As for a Folkboat inspired dinghy.....try here ......http://simonwattsfurniture.com/norwe...ling-pram.html

or here.... https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plan...orn-dinghy-auk

lots of sailing dinghy plans here on the woodenboat site

They say the folkbåt was designed with a blekingeeka as starting point.
    If you want to build something smaller yet on the same principle I would say a traditional square sterned boat of the type built and used on Western Åland would be the way to go. However that is a big enough projeck to keep you busy until your folkbåt has rotted away to mulch.
    However....... If you really want to learn clinker boatbuilding I would suggest buying a rotten old rowboat of some rather simple sort and then building a new one exactly like it. It is way easier to copy the shape of something you have in front of you than to take everything off a drawing.

Learning to understand the design and build of a boat is in my oppinion best done close up with the original. It is only wood after all.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Thanks all for the input! From finnish asocation didnt got a reply but there is a bit of language problem. For now the digital plans is just a nice have not "must have", i thought if someone already did it.

I printed out paper design and spend some quality time with my boat so I think i got a quite good understanding, having it on a computer screen would help me much in this stage.

This dinghy idea was in my head for the cold winter time. because its actually hard for me to access and it gets really really cold to do anything on the Folkboat from November to March. I was looking for a heated place to rent for the winter time as I live in an apartment building. If the space is found then something will be build, if not then we wait fro the spring

Quote Originally Posted by FolkSailor View Post
    Thanks all for the input! From finnish asocation didnt got a reply but there is a bit of language problem. For now the digital plans is just a nice have not "must have", i thought if someone already did it.

I printed out paper design and spend some quality time with my boat so I think i got a quite good understanding, having it on a computer screen would help me much in this stage.

This dinghy idea was in my head for the cold winter time. because its actually hard for me to access and it gets really really cold to do anything on the Folkboat from November to March. I was looking for a heated place to rent for the winter time as I live in an apartment building. If the space is found then something will be build, if not then we wait fro the spring

A good idea indeed but as an amateur learning as you go you aren't likely to buid a decent rowboat in one winter of sparetime. Unless maybe if you are retired.

An aquintance of mine built some very nice square sterned 14 foot rowboats/motorboats intended for a 3hp motor. He built them as serial work until his eyesight failed and he had to retire in the mid 90-ies. All the moulds and patterns for each plank are still there. I rekon if you could copy such patterns used by some old boatbuilder they would provide a good starting point for an amateur build.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

TEN DAYS!! Before I read the 800 man hours, I amused myself by thinking "I could stretch that out to three years or wife threatens to burn it because her car is still outside".
    Re-naming straits as necessary.