Thread: Alopecia Areata

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Alopecia Areata

Alopecia Areata is a common autoimmune skin disease, causing hair loss on the scalp, face and sometimes on other areas of the body. In fact, it affects as many as 6.8 million people in the U.S. with a lifetime risk of 2.1%.

I have had small patches of this on the back of my head on and off since I was in my twenties. I just took to wearing a cap. It hasn't been back for quite a few years now.

I just discovered today that Molly Tuttle was diagnosed with it at age 3 and within a year had lost all the hair on her body, that is rare. She has a write up on it on her website. https://www.mollytuttlemusic.com/alopeciaareata

Default Re: Alopecia Areata

^ She used that as a form of symbolism in her video for Sleepwalking.

https://americansongwriter.com/molly...-sleepwalking/

“I wanted to symbolically incorporate my experience as a woman with total hair loss (Alopecia Totalis) into the video for the song, because that part of who I am also informed the lyrics, in a subtler way. I lost my hair early on in life, and at times that experience has made me fear change and hold onto the past. With the visual, I wanted to raise the question of what it means to ‘be yourself’ again after a part of who you are disappears. What do we cling to in times of change? Hopefully each person who watches what we made will find a personal meaning in it.”

I had forgotten about that video and didn't realize that she was really bald.

At first, I thought that it was a guest vocalist, but after a closer look, I realized that it was her. A few more clicks and I landed on that link above. She is quite brave to be so open about it IMO. It would have been very easy to go her entire career without anyone knowing.

At the 0:42 mark in this video, there is a sticker that seems to say ALOPECIA. From her latest album of covers.

Molly Tuttle - Olympia, WA (Rancid Cover - Official Music Video)

Good eye, spotting that!

Yes, it says " Alopecia is my Superpower."

Screenshot_2020-08-09 Molly Tuttle - Olympia, WA (Rancid Cover - Official Music Video).jpg

A boy in the scouts had that and never had any hair after about 7 or 8. Sunscreens had not been developed, cocoanut oil was commonly used. After a few episodes of sunburn at camps he found a womans wig at a charity shop and trimmed it. His mum threw it out but bought him a proper one, long enough to keep the sun off his neck, and then he got remarks like "get a haircut" etc. He was a good swimmer, said it made him faster………..