Thread: Good cruising in Maine this summer - Almost no lobster gear

Default Good cruising in Maine this summer - Almost no lobster gear

This picture was taken in Somes Sound on Mount Desert Island this morning. Note the paucity of lobster gear. Those cats have been anchored there for at least four days.

DSC_0001.jpg

Default Re: Good cruising in Maine this summer - Almost no lobster gear

Are you talking commercial, or private... er... lobsterteers?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Commercial. Non-commercal (recreational) lobster licenses are limited to five traps.

What do you attribute the paucity of traps to, Todd?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Michael, the word is that it is a combination of reduced market and low boat prices. Back in June the price went down to the point that it was pretty close to the cost to catch the critters.

Somes Sound is a 4 mile long inlet that varies in width from 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I ran the length of the sound this morning and there were large areas with almost no traps (spacing 100' or a bit more). The sound probably only had a couple of thousand traps in its entire length.

Damn. As much as I get sick of dodging 'em (though I'm lucky that my boat doesn't catch 'em), this means that there are a lot of hurting fishermen. As if they don't have enough to deal with already.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The only good thing this year is cheap diesel. $2.19 this afternoon for under 1,000 gallons and $2.09 for over 1,000 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    What do you attribute the paucity of traps to, Todd?
    Cough, tariffs, cough

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Cough, tariffs, cough
    Trade wars are easy to win, though... right?

If it is any consolation, prices are down here, too, and exports to China have tapered off a bit. Not as badly hit as your guys, though.

Your government wanting our government to arrest a Huawei executive per a reciprocal security treaty agreement between our countries, and then refusing to take her for trial and asking us to keep her until you make up your mind did not make our relationship with China any more rosy. Wish you would get off the pot and either take her or let us let her go. We have a couple of our guys on death row in China because of that boondoggle.

Michael, tarrifs are part of why the market stinks. I thought everyone knew that which is why I didn't explicitly mention tarrifs. Of course Covid-19 has also hurt the restaurant market. Locally the lobster restaurants are only open 4 days a week and their number of customers is down even on those days. So they are buying less than half the lobster they usually buy.

Canada need to just tell the US the stuff it. The Canadian government must be aware by now that Trump's view of a treaty is that it applies IF it produces something he wants. Otherwise a treaty is just something to ignore. It will be so much better for the US and the World when trump is GONE, preferably to prison.

Well, how could we maintain our reputation as honest and fair people if we ignore treaties between us and explain it away as "he did it first!"... <wry grin>

If lobsters are so cheap why do I have to pay $11.99/lb for a chicken here on Cape Cod.

Somebody's making money.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    If lobsters are so cheap why do I have to pay $11.99/lb for a chicken here on Cape Cod.

Somebody's making money.
    Isn't the question: If lobsters are cheap & chickens are so expensive, why would I buy chicken?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Hmm. The times we've cruised Somes Sound there hasn't seemed to be many lobsterpot buoys anyway, at least compared to places like around Stonington, East Penobscot and Jericho Bays. Do they seem to be less crowded with pots too? Lobsters here last night were $5 per pound. Cheaper than almost every seafood you can buy.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Hmm. The times we've cruised Somes Sound there hasn't seemed to be many lobsterpot buoys anyway, at least compared to places like around Stonington, East Penobscot and Jericho Bays. Do they seem to be less crowded with pots too? Lobsters here last night were $5 per pound. Cheaper than almost every seafood you can buy.
    Somes Sound usually doesn't have many traps, but there are significant clusters this year such as in Valley Cove (picture above). The Great Harbor of MDI is almost gear free. There is a little bit of gear outside the great harbor, but nothing like a normal year. I haven't been west of Blue Hill Bay yet this season. Blue Hill Bay is pretty sparse too. I talked to some boaters from down south who thought there was a lot of gear around Stonington, but they were here for the first time so likely don't know what a lot of gear looks like.