Thread: Potato curry

Default Potato curry

As we curry every thing

Sliced potatoes cooked in a simple onion & tomato gravy with spices.

Sliced Potatoes in thin Gravy ... Aloo ki Qatlian shorbay wali

* Prep. Time : 10 minutes
    * Cook. Time : 35 - 40 minutes
    * Serves : 2 - 3

• 125 gm. potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced ( not too thin or too thick, keep in water )
    • 1/4 cup oil
    • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
    • 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
    • 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds ( methi dana )
    • 1/8 tsp. nigella seeds ( kalonji )
    • 1 tsp. ginger & garlic paste
    • 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. red chillies powder
    • 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
    • 1 tsp. salt ( or to taste )
    • 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
    • 1/4 tsp. garam masala powder
    • 2 green chillies, finely sliced
    • 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

• Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and fry on medium heat until it turns golden.
    • Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds & nigella seeds; fry for few seconds.
    • Add ginger garlic paste, red chillies powder, turmeric powder; fry for few seconds ( take care not to burn it ).
    • Add tomato, salt and ( 1/2 cup ) water.

• Cover & cook on medium heat for 15 minutes until the tomatoes are softened & the water dries out.
    • Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture leaves oil.

• Add potatoes & (1 cup ) water; stir well.

• Cover & cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender.
    • Sprinkle garam masala, green chillies & chopped coriander.
    • Serve with Chapati.

Default Re: Potato curry

Looks good Syed! My wife was working with an Indian feller last night (aged care) and she mentioned that one of our sows had just had a litter. He said if you give me a pig I'll make you some of my Indian pickled pork. I'm thinking yeah I'll give you a hundred dollar bill and you'll give me a twenty JayInOz

I have a lot of potatoes from the garden. Should try this. Believe I have everything but the nigella seeds and garam masala.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    I have a lot of potatoes from the garden. Should try this. Believe I have everything but the nigella seeds and garam masala.
    I found a recipe on google to make garam masala.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    I found a recipe on google to make garam masala.
    Just had a look, I have most of the ingredients but...I also have a jar of this:

F353089E-3647-43F7-9CDB-3C58982B45F3.jpeg

Was thinking of having a rooster or two, but potatoes would be easier.

I make my own garam masala by pounding some 5 C: cumin, cloves, coriander, cinnamon, and cardamom.

L.W. Baxter you can make without those two ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Syed View Post
    L.W. Baxter you can make without those two ingredients.
    Yes, and now that I see the ingredients of the garam masala I am practically there with what is in the cupboard.

Yes, and now that I see the ingredients of the garam masala I am practically there with what is in the cupboard.
    Heck I knew if anyone could get it done it would be you.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Heck I knew if anyone could get it done it would be you.
    aw shucks!

Dug yestidday. Good candidates here.

CAB9D2DB-C876-4D15-B0CA-922B2EB96FDA.jpg

Add some fresh green peas and mushrooms and it is fit for a maharaja!

No peas, but I have fresh green beans...up the wazoo, or out.

And no mushrooms, but red onion hanging from the eaves.

47F34E11-A5CD-4F9A-ACC6-8A7BDF4B310F.jpg

We will make do!

That'll do!

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    I make my own garam masala by pounding some 5 C: cumin, cloves, coriander, cinnamon, and cardamom.
    Freshly ground spices yield the best results ! One version of 'manual grinder' comprises a rectangular stone (some 40 cm x 30 cm) with a slight dip in the middle for placing/grinding the spices, and an oblong stone held in both hands, which moves forwards/backwards over the former.

For South Indian cooking which often includes freshly grated coconut, this grinding process yields unmatched results (flavour).

Back to Garam Masala...the ready-made version marketed in the UK ('Rajah' brand) is of much better quality, than the jumbo pack sold in plastic bags in the US.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Yum. A good addition to my curry list. Thank you.

Bax, I had only made tikka masala from packaged sauce, was cheap at grocery outlet for only $1 a bag, bought all they had but finally ran out, so recently made from recipe online, lots of ingredients but came nothing exotic and came out great. I had no red bell peppers so the second time I added some panang curry paste, it's mostly red pepper, and a small can of tomato paste for more tomato flavor.

Speaking of which, far easier is chicken (thighs) and garnet yams (or carrots for those that don't like yams) in a coconut panang curry, served on brown rice and either fresh spinach, or with kale cooked in the curry. Used to make in slow cooker but now use Instant Pot, 1/4 the time and less evaporation so only need 2 cans of coconut milk instead of 3. Basically:

Family pack of chicken thighs (8-10 thighs); Pull skin off (and reserve for crackle, simply bake until crisp and browned, on a rimmed sheet to render off fat, 400 F is faster but watch for burning, 350 is more tolerant of leaving in long), cut away excess fat on outside of thighs and also small pocket of fat on one side of the underside on each thigh; otherwise this fat makes the sauce too oily. Broil thighs on each side until browned, this improves flavor.

Place thighs standing up in pressure cooker or slow cooker. Cut garnet yams in quarters or eighths depending on size, and place point side down between the thighs. This helps even cooking but also keeps the thighs from laying flat and burning on the bottom of the pot.

Mix (2) 14 oz cans of coconut milk (the full fat stuff, will say 170 calories per serving) with: 1 teaspoon of panang curry paste (look for stuff WITHOUT shrimp in it, that shrimp is really low quality) per can for 1-star hotness, 2 teaspoons per can for 2-star hotness. Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil if you like that flavor. Whisk this together in a bowl until well mixed. Pour over chicken and yams. Turn pot left-right-left-right quick a few times to get mixture underneath chicken and yams.

Use "meat and stews" button on Instant Pot, set to 35 minutes. After steam starts to vent, you may have to, like I do, jam a chopstick into the safety valve and pull up for 15 seconds to seal; Mine is slow to pop that up.

While that is cooking, cook rice in rice cooker (great invention, works perfectly), I like short grain brown rice for flavor and texture.

Wash a bunch of kale or spinach and tear into bite-sized pieces.

I also then bake the skins into crackle, doing on the pan that broiled the meat gives extra flavor. Turn several times during bake to keep from sticking. When done, drain like bacon and season with season salt. Serve before or with meal, but while fresh out of the over, not as good when cold.

If using kale: When curry is finished, open and immediately jam all the kale down into it, and just cover the cooker back up for 10 minutes.

Then pull thighs out to cutting board, hold each thigh with tongs, push meat off with back of knife, try to also remove any cartilage at ends, haphazardly cut meat into thick slices/chunks and return meat to pot. This allows the sauce to penetrate the meat better.

Then serve all over rice.

If using spinach, place rice on plate, spoon some curry sauce on rice, cover with spinach, then place chicken and yams on top of spinach.

Well, after 20 times or so, it's relatively simple to me.
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 08-09-2020 at 04:34 PM.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

did it.

garden potato, tomato, onion, green bean, cilantro, jalapeno. garlic and ginger from the store. cayenne pepper, cumin seeds and ground cumin, turmeric, a few crushed cloves, salt.

we all had a good cry.

2D42B591-56FC-426D-A607-6BF1EB19BFB5.jpg

did it.

garden potato, tomato, onion, green bean, cilantro, jalapeno. garlic and ginger from the store. cayenne pepper, cumin seeds and ground cumin, turmeric, a few crushed cloves, salt.

we all had a good cry.

2D42B591-56FC-426D-A607-6BF1EB19BFB5.jpg
    I wonder I you would like to cry again?

Quote Originally Posted by Syed View Post
    I wonder I you would like to cry again?
    Was a big hit, Syed, thanks for the prompt. I will be expanding my cooking of curries, definitely will do the potato base again.

Syed has many good recipes that I have made. Very different and very good. Thank you Syed.

Are there fenugreek leaves available in your countries?
    Our one of the best combination is potatoes and fenugreek leaves. Known as Aloo Methi. Aloo is potato.

Syed has many good recipes that I have made. Very different and very good. Thank you Syed.
    You are welcome Bobby, I am so glad you tried those recipe's.

Bump!