Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upon Deep and Considered Reflection

Default Upon Deep and Considered Reflection

I have concluded that life at hard labor for Trump would be better than hanging him.

If this country is going to take itself seriously, we must spare the life of this traitor.

Contrariwise, if we spare the life of this traitor, still he must be punished in accordance with the dimensions of his criminality.

His crimes against the Constitution.

If he escapes punishment, then our government is over.

The power to apprehend, charge, try, convict, sentence and execute that sentence is the measure of a government's strength.

If the US Government can find no way to protect the Nation from the depredations of this monster, then that government will dissolve.

If we can keep the Constitution and crush Trumpism, I am willing to spare their lives at the price of their fortunes and their freedom.
    Rattling the teacups.

Default Re: Upon Deep and Considered Reflection

I think there's space at Guantanamo Bay. Or Supermax. Either would be quite appropriate, given their support for both. I think only the military prisons at places like Leavenworth still administer hard labor.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I dunno.. seems to me the head on a pike at the town gates of centuries gone by was pretty effective.. crows eating eyeballs & all.

I want to see him publicly humiliated, lose the election in a complete rout and have pictures of him being led away hands cuffed behind his back splashed all over the front pages of the worlds media..... Then the hanging.

Seven words.

What a violent blood thirsty pack.
    Build a case dealing with his fraudulent behaviour allied to his inability to manage a convivial gathering in a distillery. Have the courts confiscate his fortune and tie it up in a trust fund for his son Barron. The other children are adults and so should be self-sufficient.
    Then turn Skidmark lose to work for his living.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

If hung by the neck it might not be capable of withstanding the load. Quite a mess to clean up; but a spectacular fail.

I think that an exiled and jailed king presents a bit of a rallying point for the aggrieved faithful. It was useful if gruesome that Hitler found his bunker, and Mussolini his lamp post.

Consider the cautionary examples of Napoleon, for instance. Or Bonnie Prince Charlie. For all that either was both more attractive and capable than Trump.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    I want to see him publicly humiliated, lose the election in a complete rout and have pictures of him being led away hands cuffed behind his back splashed all over the front pages of the worlds media..... Then the hanging.
    All but the hanging for me. I want him to live a long life, knowing that the world is laughing at his total failure.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I think Dr. Mudd's prison cell in Fort Jefferson is still open.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

6+1.

I advocate disappearing him to Guantanamo. No publicity. Just pick him up quietly in the middle of the night and transport him incognito to his life long all expenses paid vacation in eastern Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I think Dr. Mudd's prison cell in Fort Jefferson is still open.
    Ahh but!

Dr Mudd was a much-maligned innocent man just earning his crust.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I understand the urge to lash out and get radically punitive. I share it at times.

In terms of the health of our nation... I'd want to give a lot more consideration to what course of action would be most useful for the future.

I think we can set aside any hope that punishment will rehabilitate tRump. He's beyond redemption because of his long-standing psychological issues and a lifetime of developing and armoring his 'coping strategies' in order to shore up that fragile ego. He's simply too damaged to save.

So that leaves punishment and deterrence.

I think punishment for its own sake is usually bootless, or even self-defeating. Feeding a festering polarization would be a bid idea in a lot of ways. In this instance - the national catharsis, however, might be worth including some of this. Leaning toward understated rather than overkill. Should be seen my the vast majority as 'more than fair'. But this shouldn't be our main focus.

Which leaves deterrence. What punishment would maximize deterrence? On that, we should give serious thought.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I understand the urge to lash out and get radically punitive. I share it at times.

In terms of the health of our nation... I'd want to give a lot more consideration to what course of action would be most useful for the future.

I think we can set aside any hope that punishment will rehabilitate tRump. He's beyond redemption because of his long-standing psychological issues and a lifetime of developing and armoring his 'coping strategies' in order to shore up that fragile ego. He's simply too damaged to save.

I think punishment for its own sake is usually bootless, or even self-defeating. Feeding a festering polarization would be a bid idea in a lot of ways. In this instance - the national catharsis, however, might be worth including some of this. Leaning toward understated rather than overkill. Should be seen my the vast majority as 'more than fair'. But this shouldn't be our main focus.

Which leaves deterrence. What punishment would maximize deterrence? On that, we should give serious thought.
    That my man was almost enlightened, verging on a Chautauqua mayhaps. Don’t let it go to your head though....

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Valley View Post
    That my man was almost enlightened, verging on a Chautauqua mayhaps. Don’t let it go to your head though....
    Thanks. But 'Chautauqua'??
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I have concluded that life at hard labor for Trump would be better than hanging him.

If this country is going to take itself seriously, we must spare the life of this traitor.

Contrariwise, if we spare the life of this traitor, still he must be punished in accordance with the dimensions of his criminality.

His crimes against the Constitution.

If he escapes punishment, then our government is over.

The power to apprehend, charge, try, convict, sentence and execute that sentence is the measure of a government's strength.

If the US Government can find no way to protect the Nation from the depredations of this monster, then that government will dissolve.

If we can keep the Constitution and crush Trumpism, I am willing to spare their lives at the price of their fortunes and their freedom.

I'm not sure you comprehend the threat.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by kgr1 View Post
    6+1.

You are the problem.

Only 4 words.
    Rattling the teacups.

I'm not sure you comprehend the threat.
    I think I recognize the threat, am aware of how close we are skating to thin ice, have some sense of the consequences if we don't make a correction, AND can place it in historical context.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I don't see how increasing the current polarization can possibly help, given how evenly the sides are balanced. Punishing our political leaders as soon as they are out of power is not a good road to follow. I'd be content to see Mr Trump out of power. Let him brood in his dark tower on 5th Ave, or let him play solo golf until he can no longer climb out of his cart. Just get him out of the White House.

Fantasies are fun, but let's be realistic. Trump will never pay for his biggest crimes. We will be lucky if he is held accountable for monetary irregularities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    I don't see how increasing the current polarization can possibly help, given how evenly the sides are balanced. Punishing our political leaders as soon as they are out of power is not a good road to follow. I'd be content to see Mr Trump out of power. Let him brood in his dark tower on 5th Ave, or let him play solo golf until he can no longer climb out of his cart. Just get him out of the White House.
    If he's punished, it will be for crimes. Whatever polarization that causes is less important than upholding the law.

You knew a day had to come when an ex-President was criminally prosecuted. That day may be very near.

Steady as she goes.
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

-- James Madison, Federalist 55

I just hope some hothead doesn't go JFK on him.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

You are the problem.

Only 4 words.
    If we are seeking parsimony of words, we can reduce to two: Democrats. Crazy.

Or if only describing the sentiments expressed by the OP and the posters following, one: Crazy.

Y'all have a grand day, now.

Or if only describing the sentiments expressed by the OP and the posters following, one: Crazy.

what, no more vapid trolling from you today kegger?

Ignorance of history, denial, wrong-headedness, logical fallacies, a desperate clinging to 'fast' and reacting thinking, and motivated reasoning do not make your opponent 'crazy'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G
    I only hope my secret service first cousin never has to take a bullet for the pos.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    what, no more vapid trolling from you today kegger?
    Still auditioning, Mr Conway?

Is post #27 “crazy” in your sorry opinion?
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Is post #27 “crazy” in your sorry opinion?
    Post #27:

I only hope my secret service first cousin never has to take a bullet for the pos.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Good to know you concur that Trump is a pos. There is hope for you.

I think I recognize the threat, am aware of how close we are skating to thin ice, have some sense of the consequences if we don't make a correction, AND can place it in historical context.
    I meant no disrespect.

I meant that 'It's Hard To Talk About'.

Most people don't care even to consider the possibility that this may be the end.

The Rightwing freaks have been pitching the idea that the various Democratic Presidents were treasonous ratfreakers who would refuse to leave office if defeated at the polls.

That way, when their Messiah ascends to the Oval Office, that same assertion from the 'Left' is ridiculed as a wild conspiracy theory, even though the overwhelming majority of publicly-available evidence suggests that he will not.

When I say 'Republicans stated their intention to overthrow the government forty years ago', I mean that every citizen should have been up in arms when those 'Republican' lawmaker signed on to Norquist's Pledge.

Norquist should have been arrested for sedition, and dragged through the mud a little, despoiled of his fortunes and licensures, and released after a year and a half on probation with consideration of time served.

Government is a set of rules, and a system for enforcing those rules.

When Norquist asserted a change in the rules, namely that the more money you make, the less you should pay in taxes, was, and is a material, existential threat to the Constitution.

The document he referred to as 'The Beast'.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    If he's punished, it will be for crimes. Whatever polarization that causes is less important than upholding the law.

You knew a day had to come when an ex-President was criminally prosecuted. That day may be very near.

Steady as she goes.
    I don't believe I DID know that, however obvious it may be in hindsight.

Off -topic, but I have been described as an optimist by some, and I really hope to see untold millions of Americans standing in voting lines for days, if necessary, risking their lives to the virus and the wretched fascists.

The great, good heart of the US roaring forth into the streets and lining up for their chance to say EFF YOU, FASCIST!!

An undeniable, irrefutable assertion that it can't happen here.

I don't think that will happen.

I really am beginning to see how this can only be resolved in one of two ways.

(Binary-shminary )

One, the United States Constitution asserts itself through the Rule of Law, or

Two, Trump's Cabal will rule.
    Rattling the teacups.

Well, I could get it down to less than one word, but Scot wouldn't approve.
    Rattling the teacups.

Good to know you concur that Trump is a pos. There is hope for you.
    O thank you thank you thank you. My relief at hearing that knows no bounds.

Trump is a placeholder. Pos or not, a majority of voters in states representing a majority in the Electoral College found him preferable to Hillary, despite her being "the most qualified qualified candidate ever." (Remember that the Electoral College in the Constitution was designed to prevent the election of the President by simple mobocracy.)

Why do you think Trump was elected?

Why do I think Trump was elected? Because he got the majority of the electors of the Electoral College.

Now tell us... over the last 28 years and 7 presidential elections how many times has the Republican presidential candidate won the majority of the popular vote?