Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011 LastLast

Thread: Ricks garden ornament thread. Also El Dub.

Default Re: Ricks garden ornament thread. Also El Dub.

Nothing inordinate about that! Great news - thanks!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Got a bit of garden ornamentation happening here. Tractors are for wimps!

IMG_20211015_082826812_HDR.jpg
    Rick

Stoned masonry is it.

Too much for this fella to do, I moved those rocks and trees by steel bar and Archimedes but finally realised that superman had alien superpowers but batman had tools.
    The little trac'or that could.
    20211011_115930.jpg20211011_115930.jpg
    Twofer, goodness only knows.....

I'm not envious of your tractor at all, not at all yer rotten b.........!!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm not envious of your tractor at all, not at all yer rotten b.........!!

NEITHER AM I! Mate what I could do with that...mumble,mumble, mumble.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Got a bit of garden ornamentation happening here. Tractors are for wimps!

IMG_20211015_082826812_HDR.jpg

I would love a few of those to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I would love a few of those to play with.
    Perhaps you could get Rick to pop over in his loincloth and chains, hew a few out for you.
    Last edited by John B; 10-16-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Oooh, much too early for such images!

Two left to be installed .... Glad to get them done as they've been on pallets in the yard for about 6 months, at least! I made a mistake when I ordered them - they're much bigger than I wanted, but now that they're in, I do like them. If my body ever recovers, I'll be glad.

Where I've installed this rock wall is mostly very shady so I'm going to plant ferns, begonias, stuff like that. Any other ideas for shady areas very welcome!
    Rick

You don't miss this sort of thing?

IMG_20211016_090700426_HDR.jpg

I'm wondering if a small Great Pyramid replica might go well in the backyard, along with the tyre swans and fibreglass gorilla.
    Rick

Last time I was at Thompsons Garden Centre in Orange they had a full sized fiberglass friesian cow for sale. That could look nice in the right setting
    Rick is it shady all year round? In the shade here I grow Honesty (Lunaria Annua), hellebores in a dozen colours and types, various lilies. Ferns love rotted down wood chip and bark mulch. I'm down to my last five or six tons of it. JayInOz

That's the sort of info I need, the hellebores, not so much the cow. Thanks! Yes, always shady there.
    Rick

We grow hellebores under deciduous trees- they like sun in winter and spring but die down over summer while the canopy above is in full leaf. Actually being in Port Stevens you'd probably be looking at an entirely different range of plants- I don't imagine you get any minus 10 frosts there Speaking of which- it was bloody cold here today and blowing a gale so I planned on firing up the forge and heat treating a blade I made for my Dixons plough gauge. Half an hour at around a thousand C., just by colour- doesn't need to be exact- air cooled and then two hours at two hundred, twice. D2 tool steel- pain in the bum. Life got in the way- I'll do it tomorrow.

Never drops below about 5 degrees here.
    Rick

Lost my favourite rod at the caravan park there- ripped out of the jetty by something big- possibly a big jewie but more likely a ray. I have a lot of one that got away stories

Yep, when big rays take the line they just go ....
    Rick

You don't miss this sort of thing?

IMG_20211016_090700426_HDR.jpg

I'm wondering if a small Great Pyramid replica might go well in the backyard, along with the tyre swans and fibreglass gorilla.
    I've got that little chain winch too !
    When do we get to see the completed temple to Ra?
    I asked if we have hellebores , aparentley we have two. We did inherit a lot of succulent spiky type things like bromiliads and agave. I've taken to stealth planting the bromiliads things in rotting stumps and trees, dunno why really. I also resist attempts to reduce the agave, sneak the removed ones off and put them somewhere surprising. Monstera are very much in fashion for indoor plants at the moment just like the 80's all over again...., loads of those taking over parts of the place, I feel a bit guilty when we have to cut some out.

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    perhaps your could get rick to pop over in his loincloth and chains, hew a few out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've got that little chain winch too !
    When do we get to see the completed temple to Ra?
    I asked if we have hellebores , aparentley we have two. We did inherit a lot of succulent spiky type things like bromiliads and agave. I've taken to stealth planting the bromiliads things in rotting stumps and trees, dunno why really. I also resist attempts to reduce the agave, sneak the removed ones off and put them somewhere surprising. Monstera are very much in fashion for indoor plants at the moment just like the 80's all over again...., loads of those taking over parts of the place, I feel a bit guilty when we have to cut some out.
    Oh, did the slaves of Ghiza have to put up with that? "When do we get to see the thing finished?" I don't think so!

This project hasn't taken quite as long as the Great Pyramid .... Yet! But it might. But when it's a bit more shapely, photos there will be.
    Rick

I hope that whatever it is, is that it's enigmatic.

Not very. Our block slopes so it's just a low retaining wall to prevent the higher side spilling onto the driveway. I've had to level the driveway with the house to achieve level access for the MIL.

Did I tell y'all we have an echidna burrow in our backyard?
    Rick

Not very. Our block slopes so it's just a low retaining wall to prevent the higher side spilling onto the driveway. I've had to level the driveway with the house to achieve level access for the MIL.

Did I tell y'all we have an echidna burrow in our backyard?
    Dam. I thought we'd be getting a sphinx or at the least a menhir.
    No you didn't, Is an echidna a nuisance or a joy? I've told you about our kiwi living on this property. One female started screaming away the other evening about 30 ft down the bank below our house. Knife scene from psycho with volume knob on 10, heart health check again. Wasn't holding anything fortunately, else it would have been in the ceiling.

Echidnas are a joy and vewwy vewwy quiet. Now we have a baby kookaburra in the yard with mum trying to keep it sheltered from miners and honeyeaters seeking revenge. No psycho scenes here. All quiet on the western front.

IMG_20211017_130823300_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-16-2021 at 09:10 PM.
    Rick

One resident pair of kookaburras here- unfortunately they like to snack on young finches. The azure kingfishers have taken up residence in the yard again. They raised one chick here two years go. I would find it sitting up on the lawn occasionally and carry it to a safe branch while it silently did it's best to chew my fingers off. We have three little dogs in the yard now so baby kingfishers won't last long. Yesterday I was heading off to do something and decided to take a short cut through the sheep yards. They've been locked up for a couple of months and the grass and nettles and thistles were waist high, so I grabbed a scythe and cut the lot. Went down half an hour later intending to pitch fork the grass into the wheel barrow and begin taking it to the compost heap, but the male goshawk was in the yards eating the kitten rabbit he'd just caught, so I found something else to do.
    There hasn't been a single heron or cormorant on the dam since I installed the seated scarecrow, but I was pleased to see downy duck feathers in the water each morning, so they've been continuing to come in after dark and roost at the dam- they sleep on the little pontoon which supports the outlet from the bore, and also along the poly pipe which is just submerged leading to the pontoon. It's odd at night to shine a torch and see ducks sleeping in a line on the water.
    Just went into town to get some fuel for the mowers- $1.71 per litre. Ouch. Won't get a lot done this afternoon- I bowled over three almost full grown rabbits yesterday evening and I'll be cooking them for dinner. Mums old recipe- simmer them in a pot with curry and a bunch of spices until the meat is just about falling off the bone, pat the pieces dry then flour, egg, seasoned bread crumbs and brown them in a pan. A bit fiddly but worth the effort. JayInOz

Excellent. 14 ducklings turned up here 2 days ago, but 13 now.
    No way would a kingfisher come that close here.
    The heron seems to have moved on out to the mangroves for real this time.

Holy crap Batman, just out in the rain...13 more ducklings. That would make 26 few day old units and 3 of about a month old.
    Last edited by John B; 10-16-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Kingfishers are very timid here and we rarely spot one. Out at the boatyard yesterday, I saw a plover on eggs right next to a boat a friend is working on. The bird has a fit every time anyone gets near but the repair to the boat is only about 2m from the bird. So my friend is working away with this squawking bird in his ear, and swooping him occasionally, all day. Plover nests are just a little pile of twigs on bare ground. They're often 'built' in crazy places, like median strips on highways etc Plovers are famously protective of their nests. They're actually not a real plover, they're a lapwing, but we call them plovers.
    Rick

Same here , spur wing plover, they have a pretty horrible raucous call and on the mid point of their wing ,.... spurs. Can be a bit aggressive I've heard but not witnessed.
    Heron pup is back. Maybe he never went.
    20211018_091943.jpg
    I got a bit close and he hopped flew down, wing is looking ok.
    Last edited by John B; 10-17-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Is that the spurred lapwing with the weird yellow facemask?

There's a few on the next bay, quite noisy, but then so are the tōrea / oystercatchers that are usually feeding alongside them.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

This isn't a shot of the depressed parrot.
    No, this is a botanical snapshot of the monstera deliciosa , note it's aerial root.
    20211018_082619.jpg

That's the one. We have those oystercatchers too. Mostly pied ones but also some sooties. Fantastic little birds with their long, straight red beaks.
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-17-2021 at 04:08 PM.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    Is that the spurred lapwing with the weird yellow facemask?

There's a few on the next bay, quite noisy, but then so are the tōrea / oystercatchers that are usually feeding alongside them.
    Bound to be , as Rick says they're technically a lapwing but we call them spur wing plover. Check out the spurs if you get a chance.

Last week I was around at the fish co-op at Nelson Bay and a pelican followed me into the fish shop. He has about 150mm missing from his upper beak. The shop attendant shooed him out but it seems everyone at the co-op and adjoining offices keep him pretty well fed. He goes from door to door tapping his beak on the glass. A real character.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Bound to be , as Rick says they're technically a lapwing but we call them spur wing plover. Check out the spurs if you get a chance.
    The time difference in our posts was me looking for a photo I took where the spurs are visible. Must be on the other 'puter.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Dayam that's a big picture! Sorry folks They're nesting beside the road on the neighbours place at the moment. They fly at night sometimes and call loudly every time they see a fox. Must need to sleep with one eye open as they sleep on the ground. My fox terrier killed one of them when I was a kid. It was attacking us as we crossed the paddock where the milkman kept the Clydesdales he used for his deliveries. My dog jumped and the plover just sort of crashed into his teeth.
    Ground larks are back here now. Their call is one of my favourite sounds in the world- brings back memories of the distant past. Sometimes the male will fly in a big circle at a constant height and call, and sometimes they will circle high and then flutter down calling all the way. And yesterday a pair of reed warblers turned up. Looks like they're thinking about nesting in the dead grass and canna lilies next to the duck pond. They're another favourite JayInOz

Those spurs look lethal.