Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678 LastLast

Thread: Australian Music and Recordings

Default Re: Australian Music and Recordings

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I think there are definitely Australian musical sounds/themes - different ones. I find it hard to describe them or even identify them but they're nevertheless very recognisable. It's not just familiarity.
    I pulled a book called "A Bunch Of Ratbags" off the shelf last night. It's an autobiographical account of growing up in Melbourne's inner west in the 1950's and a definitive description of the Bodgey and Teddy Boy cultures. The bodgies were clones of the American "greasers" and completely adopted their music and fashions, later in the 50's some English acts like Tommy Steele got a look in but they were just peddling the US styles too. In the whole of the 1950's, the entire decade, there were only two Australian artists that had no1 hits in this country, Slim Dusty in '58 and Col Joye in '59. Number 1 hits might be a simplistic metric but it seems to indicate the Cultural Cringe applied to pop music as well.

The early 60's had Johnny O'Keith at the top four times but he hardly represented a local sound. So I dunno, was it not until the Easybeats and the Seekers came along in the mid 60's that some Ozness crept in, when cover songs and cover styles were left behind? Or was it the novelty records by Slim Dusty, Rolf Harris, Lucky Star, Chad Morgan and Johnny Farnham sprinkled throughout those two decades? It wasn't with Robie Porter (Rob E.G.) or (sad to say) the Atlantics.

Dick Haymes, James Black, Peter Luscombe.

HAYMES_BLACK_LUSCOMBE.jpg

Ray Pereira, Hannaford, Brian Nankervis.

HANNA_15C.jpg

The late Alex Legg, a Melbourne Scot who was a Cole-Clarke ambassador. I only caught him once, in '13 at the Thornbury Theatre:

Alex_Legg.jpg

Last edited by HS; 08-13-2020 at 04:16 AM. Reason: I answered my own question with a bit more googling.

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    I pulled a book called "A Bunch Of Ratbags" off the shelf last night. It's an autobiographical account of growing up in Melbourne's inner west in the 1950's and a definitive description of the Bodgey and Teddy Boy cultures. The bodgies were clones of the American "greasers" and completely adopted their music and fashions, later in the 50's some English acts like Tommy Steele got a look in but they were just peddling the US styles too. In the whole of the 1950's, the entire decade, there were only two Australian artists that had no1 hits in this country, Slim Dusty in '58 and Col Joye in '59. Number 1 hits might be a simplistic metric but it seems to indicate the Cultural Cringe applied to pop music as well.

The early 60's had Johnny O'Keith at the top four times but he hardly represented a local sound. So I dunno, was it not until the Easybeats and the Seekers came along in the mid 60's that some Ozness crept in, when cover songs and cover styles were left behind? Or was it the novelty records by Slim Dusty, Rolf Harris, Lucky Star, Chad Morgan and Johnny Farnham sprinkled throughout those two decades? It wasn't with Robie Porter (Rob E.G.) or (sad to say) the Atlantics.

It's certainly been argued that the Easybeats and their ilk represented a new, Australian sound but I have to admit that I don't really see that music as very different to what the Brits, particularly, were doing then. For me, apart from some country and comedy music, and kid's songs, I think the earliest really Australian pop song was Margaret Roadknight's version of Bob Hudson's Girls in Our Town. I think the 70s brought an awakening that led to Australian sensibilities and imagery in popular music.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

I think you're right. The 70's brought more venues (helped by the demise of 6 o'clock closing), more bands and hence more competition leading to a greater need to differentiate themselves form other artists...someone has probably written a thesis on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Has the Rainbow Cafe gone now? I was there a few months ago and there seemed to be a health food store or something where it was.
    I think it vanished quite a few years back. There was a big fire a while back that took out the museum and a couple of other shops. It's rare for me to go down that way these days. Getting a parking spot in the main street is a real bugger.

​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

A little Fred Smith.

Quite like this one.

That's very nice! Reminds me more of Tim Freedman than anything from Morning of the Earth.
    It reminds me of G Wayne Thomas and the whole rock/surfer/blues or soul thang.

Kim still busks (which is where I first heard him) and I think he has a van and a surfboard in each of three continents (North America, Europe and here in Oz) and tends to drift between each of them. He's a far south coast boy and (sniff) his music always brings me straight back to the NSW south coast, its wild country atmosphere, and that edge-of-the-land feeling you can get when surfing or sailing there. Life up north is much easier but much less countrified.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Quite like this one.
    You've done Folkie in Canberra? The Spookies and Fred are regulars there.

By coincidence, a few years back my wife and I were at a conference in Liverpool (UK) and then had to go to London. Just at the right time, halfway between there was a Towersey festival where the Spookies and Kim Churchill were playing. The Brits LOVED the Spookies and, once they got to know him, loved Kim.

You've done Folkie in Canberra? The Spookies and Fred are regulars there.

By coincidence, a few years back my wife and I were at a conference in Liverpool (UK) and then had to go to London. Just at the right time, halfway between there was a Towersey festival where the Spookies and Kim Churchill were playing. The Brits LOVED the Spookies and, once they got to know him, loved Kim.
    I came across Fred quite by accident via the song Dust of Uruzgan.

Any Jeanie Lewis fans? Impressive vocal range. I saw her in Sydney with Bob Hudson.

I came across Fred quite by accident via the song Dust of Uruzgan.

Owen Campbell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSg5pjAtHBc First appearance I saw was on Australia's got Talent or something a few years ago. The crowd loved him but the judges gave him the flick for being a smartarse. JayInOz

Any Jeanie Lewis fans? Impressive vocal range. I saw her in Sydney with Bob Hudson.
    Yes. I've been trying to remember her name for days, so thanks! Trained as an opera singer but thankfully went on to better things!
    Rick

Rick

Rick

Peter Sculthorpe

Kakadu

Last edited by HS; 08-14-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Haven't heard of Kim Churchill. Loved his performance of Don't Leave Your Life Too Long, big reverb, big sound for a solo performance.
    Also bumped into Alex Legg a few times when I was living in the Dandenong Ranges 10 years ago.

Here's a recording I did of a lesser known singer songwriter from Phillip Island. I played some slide on this one

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

It reminds me of G Wayne Thomas and the whole rock/surfer/blues or soul thang.

Kim still busks (which is where I first heard him) and I think he has a van and a surfboard in each of three continents (North America, Europe and here in Oz) and tends to drift between each of them. He's a far south coast boy and (sniff) his music always brings me straight back to the NSW south coast, its wild country atmosphere, and that edge-of-the-land feeling you can get when surfing or sailing there. Life up north is much easier but much less countrified.
    Well, he seems very talented. I love the south coast too.
    Rick

Been down this rabbit Warren?

http://www.anddum.com/ozmusic/

I'd forgotten about Go-Set!
    Rick

Bump...fought my way to the back of the garage and found this still hanging up. 1972...the first Daddy Cool's farewell gig.

mask_1.jpg

And now for something completely different.

Our second born's first professional composition, performed by Brizzie based The Australian Voices.

https://youtu.be/gHcEFWHg_EE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

That's great! Thanks Bruce!
    Rick

That's great! Thanks Bruce!

On the strength of that piece Jamie has been commissioned to write another work for an unrelated group, the other end of the country from the Qld group that commissioned the first one.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Excellent news!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    And now for something completely different.

Our second born's first professional composition, performed by Brizzie based The Australian Voices.

Thanks for posting Bruce. That was truly a spectacular recording and performance of a great composition! I loved everything about it! It made me sit up and hit the pause button, turn off the lights and dim the computer screen and sit back and listen intently. The stereo image was a recreation of the room with both distance and depth but on watching a second time i couldn't see the microphones. Often the result of a well placed simple single point source stereo microphone proving that a simple approach is better! May have even been one of those zoom portable recorders with the little stereo mic on top? This is the way the ABC used to record with their Neuman stereo mic setup but now days i notice they are using multiple microphones on an orchestra with close micing sections and are cut and pasting what the producers think are the best sections of multiple performances. They end up sacrificing passion on the altar of perfection. Great as this was, a big hall with high ceilings or a cathedral as a performance space would take it out of this world. Please pass on my enthusiastic congratulations!

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

..... on third viewing i saw the mic setup and yes, a simple digital portable recorder with a stereo mic. Tech these days is really so good. Yes $2000 preamps and $10,000 dollar microphones would give a marginal improvement that in most situations we would be hard pressed to hear. The sad thing is too many times the expert recording engineer is employed and brings his thousands of dollars worth of gear ( that legitimizes his expertise ) and places microphones all over the place as well as the stereo pair but the result of the multi mic setup is a blurred stereo image that lacks depth of field. It's a bit like what's involved with taking an exceptional photograph, something that is light years beyond my photographic skills. why am I saying this? I suppose that I don't want this to happen to your sons recordings. What he ahas done with the portable recorder is fantastic and he needs to know it and not be hoodwinked down the road apiece. I suspect he added a touch of reverb to the mix later on and that with the natural ambience captured in the recording sounds wonderful. Chesky records in the USA put out many recordings done with the best gear using single point source stereo mic techniques.
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-12-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

Just listened to this recording of Australian Voices and they are in a good looking space but the space isn't captured in this recording. Too many microphones smear the image and create whats called comb filtering because of this sort of mic placement. There is a fair amount of long reverb added to the mix but if there was some room ambience in the recording this amount of reverb overwhelms it. The end result is a recording that is disappointing and not near the quality of the Hour and The Climb recording of Jamie's. The end result is a recording that does not engage the listener as much on a subconscious level. This somewhat defeats the purpose of the creative artist's composition in a small but significant way.
    I'm sure a good listen on most home stereo systems with speakers well positioned will show a discernible difference in the quality of Jamie's and this recording and, I hope, illustrate what I'm saying. Headphones usually always sound good but rarely revealing the best qualities of a recording in an analytical way, having the effect of making an average recording sound better but a stellar recording sounding a very good average.

I was just very surprised and excited to hear the detail and placement of the voices in the room etc in Jamie's rehearsal recording because on my mastering playback system I rarely hear this sort of detail in the recordings i get sent in to work on.
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-12-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    ..... on third viewing i saw the mic setup and yes, a simple digital portable recorder with a stereo mic. Tech these days is really so good. Yes $2000 preamps and $10,000 dollar microphones would give a marginal improvement that in most situations we would be hard pressed to hear. The sad thing is too many times the expert recording engineer is employed and brings his thousands of dollars worth of gear ( that legitimizes his expertise ) and places microphones all over the place as well as the stereo pair but the result of the multi mic setup is a blurred stereo image that lacks depth of field. It's a bit like what's involved with taking an exceptional photograph, something that is light years beyond my photographic skills. why am I saying this? I suppose that I don't want this to happen to your sons recordings. What he ahas done with the portable recorder is fantastic and he needs to know it and not be hoodwinked down the road apiece. I suspect he added a touch of reverb to the mix later on and that with the natural ambience captured in the recording sounds wonderful. Chesky records in the USA put out many recordings done with the best gear using single point source stereo mic techniques.

Thanks a heap for the detailed review. I shared it with Jamie. Big thumbs up here.

Actually Jamie wasn't involved in the recording which is a pity. The bloody virus has meant he can't travel from Adelaide to Brisbane, and other performances around Aus with The Australian Voices and other performances have been cancelled. We are hoping that a planned show in Adelaide comes off in November, Into The Woods, actually happens. Jamie is producing as well as performing The Baker. Lots if dosh and etc etc riding on that show.

If there's a future performance of the first commission I'll let you know! Wouldn't it be great to hear it live in a big, lively space with a 20-30 voice The Australian Voices choir filling up the space?!? I'd love to see and hear that.

Thanks, I would love to see a live performance, post covid I suppose.

Bruce Cockburn

I thought this would have been picked already. Ain't it the Anthem of Oz?

One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.