Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Music and Recordings

Default Re: Australian Music and Recordings

[QUOTE=RFNK;6248509]And I think this is my favourite song by The Church:

Absolutely a highlight.

here's Jimmy Little covering it from the album Messenger that Brendan Gallager from Karma County produced and recorded for Jimmy.

Last edited by Hallam; 08-09-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I just ran across this and noticed she is Aussie...
    Might as well post it here...is she well known there?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    And I think this is my favourite song by The Church
    Yeah that's a good one.

What are you doing about it?

Yep, post #31 is Yothu Yindi.
    Acoustic! Noice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    I find it interesting what oz music makes it's way to the US and I'm surprised how much you fellas have already mentioned in other threads.
    Canada might get a little more than the USA does. A lot of Australian bands have had at least some success here in terms of airplay and sales. Mick Thomas still plays our folk festivals on occasion; Oystagirl has been a big fan since the first time Weddoes played the Winnipeg Folk Fest.

Totally forgot about Mental As Anything! My older brother liked them, and I kind of picked up the taste from him. Still have the vinyl somewhere, and a greatest hits CD I bought later.

Where Jimmy Barnes, LRB, Tina .
    I always thought Tina Arena was a pop lightweight until I saw her do that tribute concert for Andrew Lloyd Webber. She sang Whistle down the wind.

This has to be here:

Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Another favourite is Vince Jones...
    Mine too. I was pondering favourite gigs ever last night and Vince came to mind. Seen him multiple times but the highlight was at Bennett's Lane in Melbourne, a cosy venue holding 100 or so that seemed to bring out 120% performances of anyone who played there. Jones often comes across as hesitant, nervous, but in the intimate atmosphere at Bennett's that seem to translate into a warm, intimate connection with the punters. I'll have to resurrect a turntable and dig out his old vinyl, I recon his early albums were his best.

Galapagos Duck...there's some of there vinyl lurking in cupboards here too. Weren't a couple of them the owners/seterupperers of The Basement?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Acoustic! Noice.
    Better clip:

Rick

LRB, ONJ....WTF???!!! Tex Perkins 2017

Perkins_2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    Mine too. I was pondering favourite gigs ever last night and Vince came to mind. Seen him multiple times but the highlight was at Bennett's Lane in Melbourne, a cosy venue holding 100 or so that seemed to bring out 120% performances of anyone who played there. Jones often comes across as hesitant, nervous, but in the intimate atmosphere at Bennett's that seem to translate into a warm, intimate connection with the punters. I'll have to resurrect a turntable and dig out his old vinyl, I recon his early albums were his best.

Galapagos Duck...there's some of there vinyl lurking in cupboards here too. Weren't a couple of them the owners/seterupperers of The Basement?
    There was certainly a connection between The Basement and the Duck. I've never really liked any of their recordings but they were fantastic live. My expectations of the recordings were probably too high! Sadly, The Basement closed a couple of years ago.

We don't go to pubs etc. anymore but Newcastle has some good music venues. If this CV19 thing ever finishes, I intend to get out to more live music, while I still have any hearing left!
    Rick

Olivia Neutron Bomb
    Rick

There was this too:

but my favourite of hers was the tv ad she did for Amoco Petrol. I had it on one of those thin records they gave away at garages but I think I lost it Amoco In Your Machine

Looking it up, I can't find any reference to Helen Reddy doing that jingle. Maybe I dreamt it!
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-09-2020 at 07:09 PM.
    Rick

There was this too: ......I am Woman......

but my favourite of hers was the tv ad she did for Amoco Petrol. I had it on one of those thin records they gave away at garages but I think I lost it Amoco In Your Machine

Looking it up, I can't find any reference to Helen Reddy doing that jingle. Maybe I dreamt it!

Here is a good sounding clip uploaded to youtube from her Greatest Hits record. Other great songs in there too.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Comparisons between studio and live performance recordings is a bit of a thing for me; there is a strength and defiance in her vocal delivery in many live recordings that isn't captured in the studio.....

Bruce Cockburn

Remember Bob Hudson.

​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Love that Tash Sultana recording.

Andy Baylor is one of my all time favourite guitarists from Melbourne. I recorded this direct to dat from the foh desk outs while mixing the new years eve concert the mornington peninsula shire used to put on at sorrento. Andy used to sit in with a band i played in, terry dactyl and the gliders, for our regular thursday night gig at the greyhound hotel in st kilda in 1976. The pic at the start and later in the vid is from a Greyhound Hotel gig back then. I'm on the right playing the hofner my dad bought for me in 1965. I've lost the recordings of that band but lets just say my playing wasn't up to Andy's standard. I learnt a lot from him. Hde was in the Honeydrippers at the time and every now and then I'd sit in for a set at the Central; Club
    http://www.andybaylor.com.au/

Andy Baylor was born in Melbourne in 1954 and is a respected and influential Australian musician known for his multi-instrumental skills, songwriting and versatility. Andy’s early life was spent living in St Kilda with his father, Jack Freeman, a leading social realist Artist before eventually settling with his mother,politician Gracia Baylor, in the small mountain town of Healesville.
    Early lessons on violin and singing in church choirs led Andy to an interest in music which blossomed in the late 1960’s with the Beatles, Dylan and other rock music icons.He moved past mainstream rock’n’roll and pop music when he was introduced to records by Lightnin’ Hopkins, Fats Waller, Django Reinhardt and other legendary blues,folk and jazz artists of the “pre-Beatles world”.“When I heard these musicians, I knew there was something else, something deeper than the pop music on the radio.This happened pretty quickly for me and by the early 1970’s I was immersing myself in the roots of popular music and flying an ‘alternative’ flag”
    In the heady days of Melbourne’s busy music scene in the 70’s and 80’s, Andy was a key figure in the formation of several popular bands such as the jump blues band, The Honeydrippers (pre-dating the band of the same name formed in the mid 80’s by Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant) and the much-loved Western Swing band, The Dancehall Racketeers.Both of these bands were hard-working touring bands who introduced many different styles of music to Australian audiences.

.....there's a story about the Robert Plant's Honeydrippers name, as Andy opened for Robert Plant on an Australian tour a year before Robert formed his own Honeydrippers......

Last edited by Hallam; 08-10-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

I'd never heard of Tash Sultana.

I wonder if she was called Tash Grape as a kid? I wonder if the other kids had trouble getting a date?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Dirty Deeds
    In internet conversations on Terry Mannings recording engineers forum, many including Terry reckon AC DC is the greatest rock band ever. I was more than surprised to hear this is what they thought. Back in Black was recorded at Compass Point Studios with Mutt Lange producing and Tony Platt engineering. It's interesting to hear the change from Australian production at Albert Studios to American at Compass Point Studio Nassau Bahamas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_Black

and some nerd recording engineer info:
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pror...334240#p334240

My mate John Boshua was assistant live engineer along with their main mix engineer Sid Grondman in the early days. Sid designed and built high powered valve amps under the brand of Phone that the band used. Sid is the house tech at the studio in Perasedale where i have done most of my studio recordings. The other house tech is Alan Jenkins who built my one of a kind Audek custom console back in 64. I got the Audek desk 10 years ago. John Bosh provided the huge PA systems for AC DC's Australian tours over the last 20 or so years. He was very lucky to survive untill they found a liver for transplant. He went cold turkey in the early 80's and has been clean ever since. A wonderful man as is Syd. Lots of stories.

Last edited by Hallam; 08-10-2020 at 05:59 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

I'd never heard of Tash Sultana.

I wonder if she was called Tash Grape as a kid? I wonder if the other kids had trouble getting a date?
    .....sweet or sour?

Bruce Cockburn

Here's an Australian song writer/guitarist who never received the acclaim I thought he was due- Mike McClellan. This song was on an album I bought probably thirty five years ago. I had a farm between Glenn Innes and Emmaville, and one of my neighbors was a retired session musician and friend of Mikes, and he used to play a lot of Mikes stuff at home. Rated him as one of the best guitarists he knew, but Mike kept it simple in his performances. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A1&FORM=WRVORC JayInOz

+1 re Mike McClellan.

Bruce Cockburn

I went to school with Mike McClelland's younger brother, Geoff. Mike went to the same school but I didn't know him. I remember going on some sort of school camp and there was a singalong thing. So we all sang `comin' round the mountain' or something but it soon became obvious that Geoff's singing (we were only about 12 or so) was in a completely different class to the rest of us. I don't think he'd had any formal training so my guess is that music was an important part of his family life. There's a scene in Master and Commander where the struggling midshipman joins in singing with the rabble and sings beautifully. That scene always reminds me of Geoff.
    Rick

Here is a track from the Blue Dawn CD, with a who's who lineup of Musos. Economy of scale and the tyranny of distance has always been an obstacle to the music scene in Australia. So much great music didn't get airplay on the commercial stations and wider public recognition. Yet followers of music who sought out the live shows have enjoyed a music scene second to none.

Diamonds, Harry Brus from the Blue Dawn CD.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Brus
    Harry Brus Bass
    Sam Boyd, Hammond organ, Adam Pringle, Amarnath Jones , Guitar, Mick Skelton, Drums, Ross Middleton Sax, Milena Barrett, David adams , Backups.

Bruce Cockburn

Not many Maltese people around your neighbourhoods huh guys? :-) Sultana surname pops up often. I have seen her busking in the Bourke St mall, quite impressive and she draws a large crowd.

Boat and Oz music story...at the Mowtown 50th anniversary concert at Rod Laver arena back in 2010. A few minutes after taking our our seats I realised the curly head in front of me belonged to Ross Wilson and that the guy three seats to his left was John Bertrand, with their partners in between. Wilson was pretty impassive during the first half of the show, just focussed intently on the stage and a succession of beers. Come the interval, the staid Mr Bertrand quietly asks "Well Ross, how do you like it so far?" at which Wilson instantly explodes half out of his seat and shouts "LOUDER, I WANT IT LOUDER!!" He then went back to his earlier demeaner. The WTF's going on glances from the other punters soon turned to recognition. Well, it was funny at the time :-)

Some bands we used to go to see, although listening to some of them now, I wonder why!

Rick

Rick

Rick

Rick

And i shared a house with friends of these guys in umm ... 1979. I didn't get it then .....

Rick

Aaaand we should include this lot (never saw them live):

Last edited by RFNK; 08-11-2020 at 12:31 AM.
    Rick

First saw these guys in 1971.