Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Music and Recordings

Default Re: Australian Music and Recordings

HS, here's one for you. A live recording of Chain I did at Ruby's in Belgrave. I will upload one of Chris Wilson down the track a bit.
    I know Dirk well from years ago and Phil from recording the Blues Big Day Out festivals around 97 and later when I was on the Committee of the Frankston Guitar Festival. I miss those days and was planning to record Chain this summer but Covid might put a stop to that one.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Nattali Rize. Is Australian reggae an inherent contradiction? Or an inevitable outgrowth of colonialism?

Well, probably more an outcome of globalism than colonialism, but reggae has been popular in Australia for a long time. And there are a lot of Aboriginal bands that include reggae songs in their program - happily so, for those of us who really like reggae!
    Rick

An Aussie legend and all round top bloke- Billy Thorpe (and The Aztecs) with an Aussie favourite https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

The feller who owned the little corner store near where i used to live was the drummer in the sixties for a band called The Missing Links. I think they were the first Aussie rock and roll band to have a hit overseas. Anyway, Billie Thorpe and some other old rockers were organising a nation wide tour, and the plan was to pick up old musos from all over the country to play different parts of the tour as they went. Our shop keeper was getting really excited about it- and then Billie died at sixty and it didn't happen. JayInOz

I have no such claims to fame except - my sister made leather jackets for the Divinyls, and me old(est) mate's older brother used to play in a local band called The Mob. They were preparing for a local gig they were doing on the next weekend and got the other band playing to come around to the mate's place to rehearse, which they did. The other band was the Bee Gees. But I wasn't there - waaaaahh!!

Last edited by RFNK; 08-09-2020 at 12:55 AM.
    Rick

Rick

Rick

Chrissy Amphlett- source of many an impure thought for an impressionable country lad Dead at 53. JayInOz

Little Pattie's cousin.

Rick

Rick

Leather Jackets for the Divinyls! Wow, fantastic! I'd love to hear every story you guys have. I love that side of music when we cross paths as fans. My first concerts were when I was still at boarding school in Hamilton, rural Vic. Chain, Spectrum, Daddy Cool and Billy Thorp where the first concerts of that time. These guys were my heroes and i still scratch myself that in later years i got to meet and record some of them. I will put up recordings from my archive hardly anyone has ever heard because I think now's a good as time as any. Many will be obscure but there is so much good music that doesn't go wide stream.

And please, I don't see this as a pissing match so any and every story and experience is more than welcome. I have been thinking for a while should I do this thread or not but life's too short and really I just want to share this stuff from the archive and hear your oz music stories, likes, here and overseas.
    Back in the 70's my mum worked at Chadstone and got to know the BG's mum as a customer. That was as close as i got except for a few instances at concerts like when I saw Billy Thorp and the Aztecs at Hamilton as a 16 year old. I was hanging around after the show and Billy walked back on stage, grabbed his valve amp head and threw it on the stage smashing every valve in the amp!!! I was shocked but walked up after he left and asked the roady if I could salvage the amp! He laughed and said he would have it fixed by Billy's next show in a day or two! Years later when I was recording at the Murcury Lounge at Crown for The Legends Of Sunbury, an ABC series that never got off the ground, the line up was Billy, Spectrum, Chain and Madder Lake. Billy was the only one who refused to be recorded. He insisted he was headlining and was the last act and invited Phill Manning on Stage mid way through his set. Of course a bit of a guitar duel ensued and when Phil after a soulful start hit his straps and took off into the stratosphere leaving Billy in his wake and Billy is no slouch on the guitar. I was so pissed i didn't record that!
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-09-2020 at 01:58 AM.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Oi Rick, Patricia Amphlett was Chrissy's aunt. Patricia headed the Scribblers and Jugglers Union (Arts and Medial Alliance) for a while where my missus had some dealings with her. My missus went to school with Phil Manning and remembers the annual high school concerts where Manning would just blow away the competition.

Walking up Degraves Street in Melbourne early one Saturday morning I had puffin' Billy walk backwards into me as he lugged an amp to a van..."****!, sorry about that" he said with a big grin. That was during his full ruffled shirt/velvet suit days.
    Last edited by HS; 08-09-2020 at 02:14 AM. Reason: format

Lloyd Speigel 2013 Thornbury Theatre.

2013_LS.jpg

Who can resist a sing-along with Mike Rudd. Memo Music Hall 2015.

2015_MR.jpg

...yeah, I know he was once a Kiwi!

Ross Hannaford at Sub Station Newport in 2013. Sadly missed.

2013_5070c.jpg

Through a beer soaked lens!

Spectrum & Madder Lake...Brendan Mason and Mike Rudd at Newport Bolo 2018.

DSC02358.jpg

Kerrrist I'm missing live music :-(

Anybody remember Hush? This one's from about 1975. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNjVAOnbdQ
    They got together and performed it again at a concert in 2006- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bx7MuA5YGQ
    They were the opening act for Alice Cooper at the Sydney Showground in 1979. The crowd booed because they wanted Cooper, but I thought Hush were bloody brilliant at that show- my girlfriend Glenda and I were in the back of the grandstand- so far from the stage it was hard to tell who was who- but it was still loud enough to hurt
    I saw on the news one night that Les Gock, the lead guitarist, had been injured on stage when he turned towards the speakers to tune his guitar just as a flash bomb was set off. Couple of weeks later I was at my girlfriends place in Sydney and went to the little corner store for some smokes and this long haired Chinese guy walked in with his wrist bandaged- Les Gock. I chatted with him for a couple of minutes and grinned like an idiot for the rest of the day JayInOz

First heard this song in a movie called " The Tracker " which is good if you like westerns .. only in Australia

Archie Roach sings " All Men Choose the Path They Walk "

Nature is the result of human caused extinctions

Are they your photos HS? They are fantastic. Here's that Chris Wilson recording hot out of adobe premier....

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I was staying with my friend Donella in Toowoomba in the early eighties. There was a knock at the door- it was her friend Kev Carmody. He's just scored his first record deal and had to tell somebody We made a coffee and spent an enjoyable couple of hours. Kev played some songs and then said he wanted to play something that he'd just written for his best friend- a bull rider who'd been killed by a bull at a show. He said he probably wouldn't be able to get through it- and he was right. Tried his best but broke down and cried and couldn't continue. Really moving for all of us. JayInOz
    Last edited by JayInOz; 08-09-2020 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    Oi Rick, Patricia Amphlett was Chrissy's aunt. Patricia headed the Scribblers and Jugglers Union (Arts and Medial Alliance) for a while where my missus had some dealings with her. My missus went to school with Phil Manning and remembers the annual high school concerts where Manning would just blow away the competition.

Walking up Degraves Street in Melbourne early one Saturday morning I had puffin' Billy walk backwards into me as he lugged an amp to a van..."****!, sorry about that" he said with a big grin. That was during his full ruffled shirt/velvet suit days.
    I'd always thought she was her aunt too but when I looked it up on Wiki last year (?), it says she was her cousin. i always reckoned Aunt Pattie sounded better than Cousin Pattie anyway.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I was staying with my friend Donella in Toowoomba in the early eighties. There was a knock at the door- it was her friend Kev Carmody. He's just scored his first record deal and had to tell somebody We made a coffee and spent an enjoyable couple of hours. Kev played some songs and then said he wanted to play something that he'd just written for his best friend- a bull rider who's been killed by a bull at a show. He said he probably wouldn't be able to get through it- and he was right. Tried his best but broke down and cried and couldn't continue. Really moving for all of us. JayInOz

.......doesn't get any more real than that.

Bruce Cockburn

HS' photos are great!

I'm trying to remember who I saw at pubs and concerts, dances etc. as a young fella .... Oh, I did a year at uni with Greedy Smith's brother. Went to see the Emmanuel Bros plenty of times, Men at Work, Sunnyboys, Captain Matchbox, Hush (yes), Rose Tattoo - hated them, still do, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Country Radio (A GTK session at the ABC), Flowers (became Icehouse), Divinyls (of course), Bruce Mathiske ... my high school art teacher was the girlfriend of a musician with great contacts and got her friends to put a band together for our 6th form formal, at the Operas House, no less. The band was Ian Glover, Judy Bailey, Warren Daly, Johnny Nicole and Renee Geyer - pretty amazing really, for an ordinary Sydney high school (Normanhurst). Who else ... umm, Dave Warner, Hoodoo Gurus, seen Richard Tognetti with the ACO a few times, Kerrie Biddel - there'd be plenty of others but those are the ones that spring to mind.
    Rick

And thanks for this thread Hallam! I've really enjoyed trawling through Youtube to see what old stuff is out there - some great memories and real gems!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    .......doesn't get any more real than that.
    So fantastic!
    Rick

I haven't seen The Tracker but I think I ought to try to find it. I like that Archie Roach track - I'd better find the soundtrack. You might enjoy Rabbit Proof Fence.
    Rick

​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

This is a great song by The Bushwackers- Weevils In The Flour. Couldn't find a live version of it. If you click on the comment underneath from Casey D you'll be able to view the lyrics- which are excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaHRyZkniS0
    I bought the original Bushwackers dance album when it came out in 1980 and sat down and learned to play every track on the mandolin. I didn't own a capo, didn't know anything about alternate tunings- I just twisted myself out of shape and played it as it sounded on the album. My muso friends later told me that my efforts were commendable but bloody ridiculous JayInOz

Cheers Hallam & Rick, yeah they're mine.

Keep the Chris Wilson coming!

Hans

BW_049.jpg

One of my favourites...

BW_039 - Copy.jpg

Kutcha Edwards at Fed Square 2018.

750_5634.jpg

Thanks for all the contributions! Top stuff.
    Kerrie Biddel! Thanks for reminding me. I used to see her at the Pink Vic hotel on Beach Rd Port Melbourne. She was the real deal. Originally an accomplished pianist she had to give it up at an early age because of
    arthritis. So she took up vocals! Some of Australia's best session jazz players in her band. I have an autographed record of hers that was the first digital recording but cut via digital direct to vinyl disc.

Here is a Sydney band that i recorded here in 2013, their early days. As soon as i heard them i knew they were going to go places. They became hugely popular in Europe and had a following in the US. The camera guy didnt turn up so i managed to get this one on my iPhone!
    At the time i had my desk and gear set up in the green room of a local mexican restaurant that after meals was a great small music venue. The last pic of the vid is the green room studio.

Bruce Cockburn