Thread: ceramic guide sparks

Default ceramic guide sparks

Ok, I knew when I bought the Laguna bandsaw that the ceramic guides gave off sparks. This is the best bandsaw I ever had. I'm so tired of having a smoldering fire under the table in the sawdust. Usually by the lower guide. With the dust collector on it's even worse. Even with everything adjusted correctly the sparks still fly. Some woods are different, big planks of dry cedar and I always have to check for something smoldering. I would replace that back guide with a roller if I could. Yes I should have thought of this before I bought the saw. Though I still love the saw. Anybody else notice this with ceramic guides?

Default Re: ceramic guide sparks

My Grizzly came with rollers. I'd thought about witching to ceramics (I really don't know why) but maybe I'll refrain. I finally had to replace the rollers after 20 years, but I'm just a hobby woodworker, so that might not tally for you.

I didn't know that ceramic guides give off sparks. I've had a Sears Craftsman bandsaw for well over 30 years, and somewhere along the line - at least 20 years ago - I switched to ceramic guides, and have never seen a single spark. Don't remember the brand, or where I got them, all I can tell you is that they are white, and work great!

The guides give off sparks?!!! I would replace them immediately with something/anything else. Carve some out of some teak before you use those ceramic ones again. Sparks, smoldering fires... good grief!

There has to be something else. Is Carter still making guides. Way back when they had replacements for most saws. Research....

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    The guides give off sparks?!!! I would replace them immediately with something/anything else. Carve some out of some teak before you use those ceramic ones again. Sparks, smoldering fires... good grief!

There has to be something else. Is Carter still making guides. Way back when they had replacements for most saws. Research....

Jeff
    If you look online, people say it's normal & they're tiny little sparks that aren't an issue. https://www.google.com/search?client...c+guides+spark

The idea of sparks around sawdust gives me the willies. I'd have to clean up every speck of sawdust & wait an hour before I left the shop.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

All bandsaws have the potential for making sparks at the guides.
    This was a big concern in the saw shop I worked in because Aluminum burns so much hotter than wood...

I used cool blocks for years. Bought some fancy rollers a couple of years ago. Frankly dont see or feel much of a difference except I havent had to replace them.
    I got a year out of set of cool blocks typically. Spin 'em around once and then spend another 12 bucks for a new set.

Sparks in the shop? No thanks.

patrick's suggestion of teak blocks makes me wonder how blocks of lignum vitae would serve. I currently use cool blocks in my 14" Delta and I am happy enough with them. I would NOT use guides that made sparks.

I made some guides out of UHMW once. They worked just fine and didn't produce any sparks. The OP said he's had to put out small smoldering "events" in his saw. That is troublesome.

Jeff

Troublesome? Thats scary as Hell!!

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Carter makes AWESOME guides still! I’ve had a set on my ‘70’s era Rockwell 14” since ~ 1985, wouldn’t have anything else!

https://www.carterproducts.com/

Guides, wheel tires, tension springs, blades... they’re my #1 source!!