Thread: Mini-split AC in shop- dust problem?

Default Mini-split AC in shop- dust problem?

A friend is building a new shop and is thinking of a mini-split AC-heater.
    Can they be made dust-tolerant?

Default Re: Mini-split AC in shop- dust problem?

I think you would just need to be diligent in your filter cleaning. It would be bad if it got too clogged with sawdust.

Add an extra filter and call it a dust elimination system. A twofer!

Jeff

I’ve not owned a split system. But I don’t see how it would be different from any other AC system in terms of pulling in the air, cooling, and exhaust. Maybe better since you are dealing with a single fan unit instead of pulling/pushing the air throughout the house.

I imagine some thought could be given to an additional filter on the front and to the ease of thoroughly cleaning the blower using a long brush or spray hose when the juice is disconnected. I sometimes take a spray bottle to the coils on the bottom of my fridge for similar reasons.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I recon one could make a pre intake filter of doorskin plywood and a few pumps of dukee to fit a standard home furnace filter.
    Look like a VW camper pop up.

I seriously looked into a mini-split for my new shop in the PNW. Cleaning the filter was one of my concerns, but after looking at the units I felt a pretty simple pre-filter could have been built.
    I finally decide to install a Rinnai wall mount, direct vent propane heater, it draws air at the top of the unit and blows heated air at floor level. The minimal dust filter is easy to get to and has not shown too much build up after a year of use.
    Since I have no need for AC, the installed cost of the Rinnai was less than half the mini split, and the monthly cost difference between electric and propane will probably take a decade to even up.

Other energy sources are less favored as my chum’s solar system produces more power than he uses.

The mini split in my combined shop/garage collects less dust than the mini split in the smaller adjacent entry room. It's partly a function of traffic in and out, and density of dog hair.

Just vacuum your filter, collect dust at your machines, and install an air filtration device. Mine is just a poor man's AFD using a box fan and furnace filters.

Having A/C in the shop during Virginia summers is really nice. The mini-split, being a heat pump device, is not so great at heating in cold weather (20*F). I have a small electric radiant heater in the shop area.

The electric bill for all this is....not so desirable.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

I’m following a similar thread on the AAW (association of woodturners) site. Turners generate an awful lot of sanding dust. The consensus seems to be that the mini-split works wonderfully as long as you keep on top of cleaning the filters. I’m getting close to deciding to install a Mr. Cool unit in my detached garage shop. About 350 sq. ft. I’m debating going with an 18,000 btu unit as the space is uninsulated.
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

ALL types of air moving devices will get dust laden, because you will be cool and comfortable you will use the shop more which means you're going to generate more dust!

you absolutely have to be religious about keeping the dust at bay on the filters and blower wheels, of mini splits or any type of AC (heretofore called air handling equipment)

Mini split filters are not up to shop duty and a built-in type so you can't use the throwaway type.

Don't be mistaken, you will have a mess on your hands trying to keep these things clean,
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 08-07-2020 at 08:13 AM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

For the visually needy...lol

https://youtu.be/T2ybK30WNVk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto