Thread: Loops and Rolls in a P-40 Kittyhawk

Default Loops and Rolls in a P-40 Kittyhawk

Default Re: Loops and Rolls in a P-40 Kittyhawk

That was great. Thanks!
    I always enjoy flying with you.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Fun!

Dave, you get to have way too much fun at "work".

How would you compare flying these planes to what you were flying at "work"?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

That was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Dave, you get to have way too much fun at "work".

How would you compare flying these planes to what you were flying at "work"?
    Passengers are a PITA.

Flying the warbirds is the fulfillment of a dream. But the operational judgement you learn as an airline pilot is directly transferable.
    hands and feet, they get rusty in the airliners. But most airline pilots demonstrate a great deal of precision, especially when the chips are down, and that comes across well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Passengers are a PITA.
    Mooo... The cattle salute you just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Flying the warbirds is the fulfillment of a dream. But the operational judgement you learn as an airline pilot is directly transferable.
    hands and feet, they get rusty in the airliners. But most airline pilots demonstrate a great deal of precision, especially when the chips are down, and that comes across well too.
    I was thinking that the relative simplicity of the systems in the older planes must be somewhat refreshing. There used to be a commercial pilot who kept an anonymous blog who commented on the Airbus he flew having a mode he liked where it was like the flying he started out with and reminded him of the Piper Cub he started in. I think he must have been exaggerating more than a bit.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

You have the best toys! Thanks for sharing.

I love the gear indicators, those are a bit of low tech genius.

Wow, that was fun!

Fitz
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Thank you!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Woah! My son has a projector device in his garage/man cave. I watched this on an 8 foot high screen. I got airsick!
    Thank you for flying Air Hadfield.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I'll be putting this on the big TV for the kids.

Thanks!
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Very cool.

From the previous generation showing how unprepared we were - My Father's memoir

"Christmas Day 1941. I was ordered to sit out in a P-40 for six hours, prepared to take off to defend the City of San Francisco if the Japanese launched anouther sneak attack. They hadn't give me any instructions but they gave me a manual to tell me how to fly the P-40 and how to shoot the machine guns. So I sat in the cockpit on a drizzly, misty, rainy day reading the instructions, trying to check myself on the P-40."

Dad eventually got checked out, got five hours of in-flight training. Just before being shipped to the Pacific names from the middle of the alphabet were picked to go to Portland Oregon to form the 16th Squadron of the 64th Troop Carrier Group.

Dad got one more hour on the P-40.

During the Africa campaign Dad was General Doolittle's pilot. At one forward base they were strafed. General Doolittle, angered, sprinted towards three P-40 that had not been shot up with his Exec right behind. Dad followed his general and the three took off abreast. Dad always said he was glad they didn't catch up because he never did figure out how to clear the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Very cool.

From the previous generation showing how unprepared we were - My Father's memoir

"Christmas Day 1941. I was ordered to sit out in a P-40 for six hours, prepared to take off to defend the City of San Francisco if the Japanese launched anouther sneak attack. They hadn't give me any instructions but they gave me a manual to tell me how to fly the P-40 and how to shoot the machine guns. So I sat in the cockpit on a drizzly, misty, rainy day reading the instructions, trying to check myself on the P-40."

Dad eventually got checked out, got five hours of in-flight training. Just before being shipped to the Pacific names from the middle of the alphabet were picked to go to Portland Oregon to form the 16th Squadron of the 64th Troop Carrier Group.

Dad got one more hour on the P-40.

During the Africa campaign Dad was General Doolittle's pilot. At one forward base they were strafed. General Doolittle, angered, sprinted towards three P-40 that had not been shot up with his Exec right behind. Dad followed his general and the three took off abreast. Dad always said he was glad they didn't catch up because he never did figure out how to clear the guns.
    Great story Ian!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Woah! My son has a projector device in his garage/man cave. I watched this on an 8 foot high screen. I got airsick!
    Thank you for flying Air Hadfield.
    Hah, hah! I’m passing that along to my family!

Fun times. I haven't been in the Pitts in years but the last time I was getting bored of the rolls dad was doing so I did the one thing you probably shouldn't do. I started looking straight out the top of the canopy all the way around. which was differnt and cool the first three times and then:

Me: "Dad, are you going to be doing many more rolls?"

Dad: "Maybe a few more, why?"

Me: "not feeling well, wanted to see it all looking straight out the top of the cockpit a few times"

Dad: "Dumb-azz"

I was like mid 40s too and had never been queasy flying with him, but I had to try once.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Thanks Dave - that’s probably the coolest video that I’ve watched all year, very much appreciated mate.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Fun!

Thanks!
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Through the '50s and early '60s Dad supplemented his then low Pan American salary test piloting for Grumman. He flew various precision patterns while various electronic gear - surface based tracking, anti-submarine, and so on - were tested. Dad got to fly almost every type of plane that Grumman made through WWII and the Cold War.

So, for my seventh birthday Dad checked out a naval fighter (probably one of the later 'Cats) that had been modified to have tandem in-line seating and took me up to show what he did. He did a bunch of lazy eights that tracked so repeatedly that the tower applauded. But I kept begging for "real fighter" moves. So Dad obliged me with a scorching series of loops - inside and outside and loops with rolls - dives and stalls and all sorts of wriggly stuff that caused me to turn my part of the cockpit green with whatever had been digesting and Dad whooping and reminding me that we were having fun.

Edited to add: Found in Dad's memoir that they most often used a older Grumman/Northrup A-13 as a robust platform that could carry a great array of electronic grear for testing and was a robust airframe to withstand some of the high load testing.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 08-08-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Fascinating . . . thrilling . . . educational . . .
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

-- James Madison, Federalist 55

I've been saving that up to watch, thanks Dave, terrific. I assume it's the one I saw here? I'll pass the video on to the boy who sat in it , who isn't 9 anymore.

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks that was great.

My father in law flew fighter jets for the RCAF. When he retired, someone asked him if he was going to keep flying by renting Cessnas. He said, "Naw, what would be the point?'
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Thank you for the fun flight on Air Hadfield!

Looking forward to the next one.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I've been streaming "Midsomer Murders". I saw "The Flying Club" (Season 16 Episode 4) which revolves around a family owned small plane field and associated businesses - lessons, fly-ins, service, etc. - and thus thought of Dave and his family.

Well, that was dang cool. Thanks!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Great video Dave , the cockpit is so small don't know how you fit.

Growing up my pals admired the Revell kits of WW2 airplanes my favourite was the Kittyhawk P-40 , how can one resist the shark jaw look !

Local fellow and still with us is 99 year old WW2 veteran Stocky Edwards who flew a P-40 in North Africa , shooting down a German 109 on his very first operational flight , in time becoming an ace and survived a near death crash . He relates some of his experiences here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfuYQDTl5tU he is very modest but the Germans credited him with 22 victories .
    Nature is the result of human caused extinctions

I took Stocky up in our P-40 (the fuselage tank has been replaced with a second cockpit) and gave him the stick.

It was a wonderful connection with history.

trescool.