Thread: Top ten car producing countries year by year.

Default Top ten car producing countries year by year.

Once the video starts, the order changes as the years go by. Scroll ahead to around four minutes in.

Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Default Re: Top ten car producing countries year by year.

trippy

Pretty cool! Huge tariffs are a big reason for Spain’s auto production , at least historically, and probably had a lot to do with China’s rise - that and cheaply made cars with no pollution control.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Pretty cool! Huge tariffs are a big reason for Spain’s auto production , at least historically, and probably had a lot to do with China’s rise - that and cheaply made cars with no pollution control.
    In Spain, Santana making licensed versions of Land Rover and Suzuki off-roaders, and Seat making licensed Fiat models up until the 80s when they were bought out by VAG, and that's where you see the second of Spanish output.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Yes I remember Seats, the Spanish Fiats, very well. Chrysler bought Barreiros so they could produce locally, which lasted until they were sold to Peugeot/Renault for $1.

How many cars can this world support?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Interesting transitions. I knew China was booming, but had no idea it was putting out those kinds of numbers.
    Watching Great Britain's slow fade reminds me that the End Of Empire plays out over a very long time, and a variety of quick and slow ways.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It's funny seeing all the MGs around here. Lots of 'em with four (fake) exhaust pipes and British flags all over them. Made in China, of course.... like the Volvos and....

I am surprised how constant the USA production was. It was very close to 8 million from 1950 to 1981.

One of the things that struck me when lockdown started here in the UK, when all the cars were parked up at home, was how they are, themselves, pollution. Ignoring all the emissions from manufacture and use the sheer amount of tin boxes cluttering, disfiguring and dominating the local environment was quite shocking. I think we need to look much more closely at smaller, personal vehicles for local use and try to get away from multi-car households.

FWIW, only about 3% of Chinese auto production is exported. Lots of people, lots more money, starting at just about zero thirty years ago; quite the market.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
    I am surprised how constant the USA production was. It was very close to 8 million from 1950 to 1981.
    That struck me also. I was expecting more of a dip during the years of Japanese auto ascendance. It's risen in recent years, it seems, but not nearly as much as Chinese production has... and only after a lot of years hovering in that 8-9m range.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    One of the things that struck me when lockdown started here in the UK, when all the cars were parked up at home, was how they are, themselves, pollution. Ignoring all the emissions from manufacture and use the sheer amount of tin boxes cluttering, disfiguring and dominating the local environment was quite shocking. I think we need to look much more closely at smaller, personal vehicles for local use and try to get away from multi-car households.
    One of the benefits our family is envisioning from creating a Family Compound is that we can probably thin the herd some when it comes to autos. We currently own 6 among us. We're hoping to cut it down to 3-4.

On any given city block... there are always a ton of autos parked. And more parked in a lot/structure at work. Some genius is going to make her pile by reconceptualizing the situation. Something less expensive than Lyft, but more flexible than mass-transit. Of course any area will need a multi-modal approach, but I think you've called out the weakest link. We got here by accident, but we can improve it by intention, methinks.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'd like to see that done by country of ownership, so that Hondas built anywhere counted as Japanese.....
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I'd like to see that done by country of ownership, so that Hondas built anywhere counted as Japanese.....
    That WOULD be an interesting perspective to compare.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I found that video fascinating to watch. Thanks for posting. Things that really caught my attention:

1) the USSR was consistently in the top ten, it dropped out from 5 or 6th place in 89, ok the country ceased to exist, but was not replaced by Russia for even a short period of time. I suppose the USSR car production was spread across multiple republics.
    2) the US comeback in the 90s, precisely when it seemed to me the quality improved dramatically
    3) India's emergence
    4) the extreme drop off after the 2008 financial crisis and how slow the recovery was

Those are off the top of my head, after watching it last night. I am sure I could list half a dozen mire things about it if I watched it again. Super cool to watch. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I found that video fascinating to watch. Thanks for posting. Things that really caught my attention:

1) the USSR was consistently in the top ten, it dropped out from 5 or 6th place in 89, ok the country ceased to exist, but was not replaced by Russia for even a short period of time. I suppose the USSR car production was spread across multiple republics.
    More like no one in the former East block would buy a Lada after real cars were allowed. Much of the industry of the USSR simply ceased to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Interesting transitions. I knew China was booming, but had no idea it was putting out those kinds of numbers.
    Watching Great Britain's slow fade reminds me that the End Of Empire plays out over a very long time, and a variety of quick and slow ways.
    In Chile a couple of years ago, I sat down with an older gent who had worked in a car dealership workshop all his working life. I asked him about the changes he'd seen, he said that when he started work in the mid 60s most of the vehicles were American with a sprinkling of French. Today, there are no American cars to be seen. Probably half of those on the road are Chinese, with most of the balance split about evenly between Indian and South Korean, with the occasional Citroen or Peugeot.
    I asked him about reliability, and he said if the current cars were any better in that respect he'd be out of a job, and that they were incredibly reliable in comparison to the ones he'd worked on in his early days.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

My "Japanese" brand pickup truck was built in Thailand, there is a much bigger car industry there than most people realise.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    FWIW, only about 3% of Chinese auto production is exported. Lots of people, lots more money, starting at just about zero thirty years ago; quite the market.
    They actually supply some pretty big export markets, lots of them in South America. We get them here, we're a small market so not huge numbers but they're becoming more common all the time.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    They actually supply some pretty big export markets, lots of them in South America. We get them here, we're a small market so not huge numbers but they're becoming more common all the time.

John Welsford
    Finished vehicle exports are pretty small < million vehicles, but the parts chain they supply is global.

in the 1960s-70s Chilean vehicles might have been American branded but locally produced

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    And more miles of highway than the US. That’s one heck of a commitment to increased oil consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I asked him about reliability, and he said if the current cars were any better in that respect he'd be out of a job, and that they were incredibly reliable in comparison to the ones he'd worked on in his early days.

John Welsford

It's funny. forty years ago, reliability would have been going 20some thousand miles without a major repair with a "tuneup" every 3 to 5 thousand miles. Today's cars can run hundreds of thousands of miles on just oil and filter changes. I find that amazing.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Since I spent about four years at a company that produced these statistics, I might add some observations. The US has more cars on the road than there are people of driving age, something that has existed since the late 1950s. New car sales are mainly based on scrappage--replacing cars being scrapped. That rate has stayed fairly constant, as cars are more durable, but are driven more miles each year. US-based production has been negotiated via tariffs, but also with the implicit understanding that producing autos sold in the U.S. in the U.S. is necessary to reduce political pressure on imports. All the major players in the U.S. market have manufacturing plants here today. As for the ups and downs for demand, the primary motivation for buying a new car is the formation of a family. The numbers here haven't changes much since the end of the post WWII baby boom. What has changed is the dramatic increase in two-income families, something that pretty much demands more cars in a household. I would bet that this is what caused the uptick in the 1990s.

Watch, and keep a mind’s eye on the gas crunch in the 70s, and the opening of “foreign” makes inside the US in the 80s and 90s.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Might note that the chart is obviously wrong, as it excludes Mexico, which does some 4 million motor vehicles annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Might note that the chart is obviously wrong, as it excludes Mexico, which does some 4 million motor vehicles annually.
    mexico is there.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    And more miles of highway than the US. That’s one heck of a commitment to increased oil consumption.
    1.2 million EVs last year, 4x the us market.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    mexico is there.
    I was looking at he chart--see it came up late in the video--dunno what the timing is about. Looks like NAFTA.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    More like no one in the former East block would buy a Lada after real cars were allowed. Much of the industry of the USSR simply ceased to exist.
    Yea, I am sure that was certainly the main part.