Thread: Asbestos in the galley?

Default Asbestos in the galley?

100_1626.jpg

I'm restoring a 40' yawl. To access the planking, I had to remove the stove and disassemble the galley. As shown in the pic above, the stove is surrounded by sheets of stainless. Behind the the stainless, I found sheets of thin fibrous material.
    This raises a few questions ...
    (1) What is the purpose of this material? Insulation to protect the wood behind?
    (2) If so, is it likely to be asbestos? The boat was built in the early 60's in Uruguay.
    (3) Should I replace it with something else?

Thanks.
    Denny

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Asbestos in the galley?

Is is radio active asbestos ? I think the danger is prolonged exposure to the fine dust, not static lagging.
    If it's not needed to come out, I'd leave it.
    If it needs to come out for rotton frames or something, I'd put on a paper mask and stuff it in a garbage bag.
    ...or I might save it for something later.
    I worked in Raybestos, the Bridgeport brake factory for a year.... I should be long sick or dead from the "wheel o brator".

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Is is radio active asbestos ? I think the danger is prolonged exposure to the fine dust, not static lagging.
    If it needs to come out for rotton frames or something, I'd put on a paper mask and stuff it in a garbage bag.
    I worked in Raybestos, the Bridgeport brake factory for a year.... I should be long sick or dead from the "wheel o brator".
    The material had to come out. It's been in a bag for years. The question is to either discard it, install it, or replace it with something else? Thanks.

Well, I think the SS is a sufficent heat sheild, if there is an airspace behind it.
    This is a cookstove, right? Not a diesel heater or wood stove.
    I'm just guessing/talking here.
    I believe Denise 30 is an HVAC person,who may be able to do better than guess an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisfdunn View Post
    The material had to come out. It's been in a bag for years. The question is to either discard it, install it, or replace it with something else? Thanks.
    It will have been to insulate the boats structure from the heat of the stove. Is it white and kind of fluffy? Like this
    or this
    Do not disturb it until you know that it is definitely not asbestos, the stuff is a killer.
    Get professional help to a) identify it, b) remove it so that it does not contaminate the rest of the boat.
    Bruce's exposure to asbestos fibres may yet kill him, it can take 30 years for the plural plaques and mesothelioma to develop.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

...49 years ago.

...49 years ago.
    So far so good. I hope that you do not succumb, mesothelioma is not a good way to go, Three of the four friends that I lost to it were over 65, one was still working.

So - 1971? I visited that factory dozens of times picking up brakes for Friedman's Auto Parts in 72.

@ the OP: If there's at least 1/2" gap behind the stainless, you should be fine I'd think. If not, and since the old material is gone, I'd replace it with a modern replacement for asbestos.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Well, I think the SS is a sufficent heat sheild, if there is an airspace behind it.
    This is a cookstove, right? Not a diesel heater or wood stove.
    I'm just guessing/talking here.
    I believe Denise 30 is an HVAC person,who may be able to do better than guess an opinion.
    Yes. 3 burner stove + oven (kerosene fueled; although I'll probably replace it with propane).

Quote Originally Posted by dennisfdunn View Post
    Do not open the bag. Take it to a town dump that knows how to dispose of asbestos safely. Then insulate with something modern and safe.

Wet asbestos is much less of a problem if any. I suggest a float test.

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/toolbox/haz/haz07b.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    So - 1971? I visited that factory dozens of times picking up brakes for Friedman's Auto Parts in 72.
    Collecting the completed product is benign, making them and blowing the dust out of the drums with an air line when replacing them is the killer, as that is when you breathe in the fibres.
    A really sad case occurred in England when the wives of an asbestos factories workers developed mesothelioma. They breathed in the fibres when washing hubbies overalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Wet asbestos is much less of a problem if any. I suggest a float test.

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/toolbox/haz/haz07b.htm
    No, you cannot guarantee that it stays put, especially if you try the float test in moving water.
    The only safe asbestos is bound in a resin, portland cement, or painted. AND THEN LEFT WELL ALONE.

Anyone familiar with amorphous silica? Comes in a woven fabric. Used for welding screens/tarps. Don't know if you can bond it to wood or stainless, but if all else fails you could use staples.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Collecting the completed product is benign, making them and as that is when you breathe in the fibres.
    A really sad case occurred in England when the wives of an asbestos factories workers developed mesothelioma. They breathed in the fibres when washing hubbies overalls.
    Did that thousands of times. I'm not downplaying the risks! It's just that we didn't know. I remember the class handing around globules of mercury & paying with it in our hands...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Did that thousands of times. I'm not downplaying the risks! It's just that we didn't know. I remember the class handing around globules of mercury & paying with it in our hands...
    As with smoking, the asbestos vested interests kept the lid on it until they could not.
    My industry, British shipbuilding was insured by a company called Iron Trades. As soon as they realized that there were going to be asbestos fatalities and claims for industrial injuries, the moved all of the risky policies into a newly created subsidiary, that they allowed to go bust. That cost my employers a small fortune.
    Mercury is much less of a problem, if you have amalgam fillings in your teeth they are mercury. Some Dental assistants developed purple fingernails from daily exposure, but not much else.

My father worked for a boiler manufacturer at the beginning of his career after getting his engineering degree. Not in direct manufacturing, just visited the shop periodically. Through my childhood he had an intermittent undiagnosed cough. At age 83 - ten years ago, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. Died within the year. As Nick said, it was not a good way to go. That job, over 50 years earlier, was his only known contact with asbestos.
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

Lou, that bought it home to me again. So sorry for what your family will have suffered.

Thank you Nick. I finished the guideboat in my avatar picture as he was dying. He wasn’t able to see it launched, but I was able to get a video of its first splash, which he saw, a week or so before he died. I was able then to go to be with him in Florida from my home in Maryland, and was with him when he died.
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

Denny, I can't help with the asbestos question, but I fabricated a stove heat shield for our boat a couple of years ago using ceramic fiber board and copper sheet. Some details can be found at this thread if it's useful:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...65#post5852065
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!