Thread: Tropical storm Isah..... whatever

Default Tropical storm Isah..... whatever

Was fortunately a non event here. One good soaking rain. Not much wind. Looks like she might be more problematic further north.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Tropical storm Isah..... whatever

Isaias is parked right over our house now. Heavy rain, and the wind is just starting to pick up though still pretty light. My driveway is a small river, and the ditch alongside the road is running full. The road will probably go under at the little creek crossing down the road a peice, but I am not inclined at the moment to go out and look. Last time that happened was Sandy in 2012.
    Steve Martinsen

At 8 AM they posted a tropical storm warning for the entire Maine coast. This is for a storm that is supposed to be extra tropical with 35 knot winds when it passes 300+ miles west of us on the other side of what passes for a mountain range here in Maine. Note that the entire forecast cone for the storm is west of Maine. The local pin point forecast for Southwest Harbor, ME where my boats are is calling for peak winds of 18-23 knots tonight with seas of ONE foot or LESS. It was windier and rougher yesterday.

Supposed to come right over western Vermont. Raining hard now & they are warning of 60+MPH gusts. Should be fun - I'm sure we'll see trees down, roads washed out & power out for lots of people.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Sustained wind of 55 miles per hour here at the oyster house for a while this morning.

Gust a little higher.

Had about a 45 minute period of very little wind, and now it's clocked around to the opposite direction. A couple of tornadoes have spun-off in the local area.

So far, very little storm surge, and I'm okay with that!

A couple of tree limbs down, some shingles blown off, and the power is out.
    Even a fish wouldn’t get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Supposed to come right over western Vermont. Raining hard now & they are warning of 60+MPH gusts. Should be fun - I'm sure we'll see trees down, roads washed out & power out for lots of people.
    i have a tab in my phone for the weather in St Albans, pretty close to you, right? The NWS is calling for winds around 10 mph for today tonight and tomorrow, fwiw. Dead calm here now, and rain starting to let up.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    i have a tab in my phone for the weather in St Albans, pretty close to you, right? The NWS is calling for winds around 10 mph for today tonight and tomorrow, fwiw. Dead calm here now, and rain starting to let up.
    It is close (20 miles) - but the joys of mountain weather. 20-30 miles east of Snalbans - on the western slopes of the green mountains they are predicting 50-60MPH gusts.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Having one of the calmest mornings I’ve seen in a while here. Overcast, which is a nice change. Little bit of fog. Put the powerboat back in the water on the high tide. Decided to run downtown to grab a coffee and sit in the park by the dock.

925E47BB-D39E-4F23-85AB-DFB2F6AF0060.jpg
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

it is going west of us, right over Philly. We had a nice tornado south of us hit Strathmere and head to the NorthWest across the marshes. Lost a couple of trees, and our wires are hanging low from one of them. We are coming through decently so far.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Thanks to this storm, it's gonna be Sunny, with highs in the 70's for about 5 days here in Ohio.
    Just what I need to finish painting the house.
    One man's misery is another man's blessing.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

So is painting the house blessing, or misery?

I don't know if this is related to Isaias but a severe microburst tore up Lake Lanier's Aqualand Marina just north of Atlanta Monday afternoon.

https://www.ajc.com/news/hour-of-ter...BD25DG3D56XKE/

I don't think anyone got hurt but there was enough damage that it had to be closed to the public.
    Will

Wind driven rain from the east arriving just now. Trees moving too much for comfort.

That is all. Carry on.

Fitz
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Raining hard and wind really starting to pick up here in central Vermont. Might hit 60 mph before it's done. Trees are whipping around pretty good.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

A number of trees down. Power out. Generator running after a little persuasion.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

https://www.facebook.com/elfpix/vide...8816305424917/
    Sound, not much fury, lots of joy and play
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

we wound up with a couple of Tornadoes, which are rather rare for New Jersey. This is the furthest east I have ever been of a Hurricane's eye. I will take the west side any day.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama