Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Brrh!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Mull, Scotland
    Posts
    7,188

    Default Brrh!

    11 degrees C this morning, and over 50mm of rain forecast for today.
    Wood stove now lit- it was warmer at Christmas!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NE Scotland
    Posts
    10,475

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Same here in Aberdeenshire. 10C and raining this morning. July was very wet this year, so I was hoping that August would be better, but little sign of that yet. The Met Office forecast for my area shows the temperature struggling to get into the low 20s through the week, then back to 17/18C next week.
    Gloom
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    20,231

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Lucky. We’ve had a very hot, humid stretch here this summer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas ya'll
    Posts
    1,719

    Default Re: Brrh!

    We had a bona-fide toad-strangler/pond filler of a downpour yesterday afternoon. Got about 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes. We needed rain, but not all at once.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    26,802

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    We had a bona-fide toad-strangler/pond filler of a downpour yesterday afternoon. Got about 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes. We needed rain, but not all at once.
    I could have used that here...zero inches!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    14,722

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    11 degrees C this morning, and over 50mm of rain forecast for today.
    Wood stove now lit- it was warmer at Christmas!
    So... in English that means 52F and 2 inches of rain.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    2,401

    Default Re: Brrh!

    The hurricane / tropical storm passing along the coast seems to have pulled some of the oppressive heat out of here - down from the mid 90's (F) to mid 80's - a most welcome change ! Still concerned for the storm surge / power loss further up the coast . .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Mull, Scotland
    Posts
    7,188

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    So... in English that means 52F and 2 inches of rain.
    No- in American!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NE Scotland
    Posts
    10,475

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    So... in English that means 52F and 2 inches of rain.
    OK that's a can of worms

    If you look at the Met Office website, you will see that temperature is shown in degrees C, but wind speed is in MPH. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2020-08-04
    The UK Environment Office publishes rainfall in mm - https://assets.publishing.service.go..._July_2020.pdf
    UK road distance signs are still in miles, and speed limits are shown in MPH, so speedometers and trip meters in cars are usually in MPH and miles, although modern electronic ones can be switched to metric.
    Petrol prices at the pump are shown in pounds and pence per litre, but fuel economy is still expressed in Miles Per Gallon.
    Bridge heights are shown in both imperial and metric measurements, but I have checked most of my local ones and the conversion is inaccurate, often by several inches.
    Beer in pubs is still served in pints

    If you're going to be pedantic, the guy who invented the F scale - Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, was born in Danzig (now Gdańsk) Poland and claimed at various times Dutch, German, Polish and Polish–Lithuanian nationalities. Otherwise you're spot-on.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2
    Posts
    12,075

    Default Re: Brrh!

    I’m still marveling that it was warmer than 11C last Christmas in Scotland.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    2,401

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    OK that's a can of worms

    If you look at the Met Office website, you will see that temperature is shown in degrees C, but wind speed is in MPH. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2020-08-04
    The UK Environment Office publishes rainfall in mm - https://assets.publishing.service.go..._July_2020.pdf
    UK road distance signs are still in miles, and speed limits are shown in MPH, so speedometers and trip meters in cars are usually in MPH and miles, although modern electronic ones can be switched to metric.
    Petrol prices at the pump are shown in pounds and pence per litre, but fuel economy is still expressed in Miles Per Gallon.
    Bridge heights are shown in both imperial and metric measurements, but I have checked most of my local ones and the conversion is inaccurate, often by several inches.
    Beer in pubs is still served in pints

    If you're going to be pedantic, the guy who invented the F scale - Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, was born in Danzig (now Gdańsk) Poland and claimed at various times Dutch, German, Polish and Polish–Lithuanian nationalities. Otherwise you're spot-on.
    Isla, some years ago I flew into Shannon and rented a car - as I left the airport there was a LARGE sign warning that posted speeds were in kilometers, NOT Miles per hour. Also, the rental car had a large arrow affixed inside the windshield (windscreen) to remind one which was the proper side to drive on...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    35,548

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Isla, some years ago I flew into Shannon and rented a car - as I left the airport there was a LARGE sign warning that posted speeds were in kilometers, NOT Miles per hour. Also, the rental car had a large arrow affixed inside the windshield (windscreen) to remind one which was the proper side to drive on...
    Driving in the US Virgins is even a bit more challenging, as the roads are drive left, but the cars are brought in from the US, so they are LHD. Makes it really easy to drive on the wrong side. I made my own big arrow & taped it to the dash.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NE Scotland
    Posts
    10,475

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Isla, some years ago I flew into Shannon and rented a car - as I left the airport there was a LARGE sign warning that posted speeds were in kilometers, NOT Miles per hour. Also, the rental car had a large arrow affixed inside the windshield (windscreen) to remind one which was the proper side to drive on...
    Yes that's understandable. The Republic of Ireland is much more integrated with the EU than the UK ever was, and adopted the metric system more wholeheartedly than we did.
    Since 2005 all new cars sold in Ireland have speedometers that display only kilometres per hour; odometers are usually metric as well. The metric system is the only system taught in schools. Beginning in 1970, textbooks were changed to metric. Goods in shops are labelled in metric units.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    16,656

    Default Re: Brrh!

    It's been decidedly less than summer like for the most part here in my little corner of the world.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    66,508

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    We had a bona-fide toad-strangler/pond filler of a downpour yesterday afternoon. Got about 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes. We needed rain, but not all at once.
    Seems like that's mostly the way it comes there. One of the things we never tired of in Texas was watching the stupendous thunder storms. Esp. at night. What a light-show! And the gutters would fill. And things would flood. And we'd oooohhh and ahhhhh...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Now
    Posts
    3,002

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Dreich day here in Scotland's Central Belt. Rain (lots) and wind (too much). One of those 'lost days' where it's pointless to go out, and fixing the small leak on an internal radiator was the absolute highlight.

    Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    1,170

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Move south, 24C and sunny tomorrow in Suffolk.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Now
    Posts
    3,002

    Default Re: Brrh!

    And miss out on my free get-out-of-the-UK card?! Thanks, but no. We'll get some reasonable weather shortly.

    Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    1,170

    Default Re: Brrh!

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    And miss out on my free get-out-of-the-UK card?! Thanks, but no. We'll get some reasonable weather shortly.

    Andy
    Don't blame you, if it wasn't for work I'd avoid the place as well

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •