Thread: Brrh!

Default Brrh!

11 degrees C this morning, and over 50mm of rain forecast for today.
    Wood stove now lit- it was warmer at Christmas!

Default Re: Brrh!

Same here in Aberdeenshire. 10C and raining this morning. July was very wet this year, so I was hoping that August would be better, but little sign of that yet. The Met Office forecast for my area shows the temperature struggling to get into the low 20s through the week, then back to 17/18C next week.
    Gloom
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

Lucky. We’ve had a very hot, humid stretch here this summer.

We had a bona-fide toad-strangler/pond filler of a downpour yesterday afternoon. Got about 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes. We needed rain, but not all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    We had a bona-fide toad-strangler/pond filler of a downpour yesterday afternoon. Got about 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes. We needed rain, but not all at once.
    I could have used that here...zero inches!

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    11 degrees C this morning, and over 50mm of rain forecast for today.
    Wood stove now lit- it was warmer at Christmas!
    So... in English that means 52F and 2 inches of rain.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The hurricane / tropical storm passing along the coast seems to have pulled some of the oppressive heat out of here - down from the mid 90's (F) to mid 80's - a most welcome change ! Still concerned for the storm surge / power loss further up the coast . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    No- in American!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    OK that's a can of worms

If you look at the Met Office website, you will see that temperature is shown in degrees C, but wind speed is in MPH. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2020-08-04
    The UK Environment Office publishes rainfall in mm - https://assets.publishing.service.go..._July_2020.pdf
    UK road distance signs are still in miles, and speed limits are shown in MPH, so speedometers and trip meters in cars are usually in MPH and miles, although modern electronic ones can be switched to metric.
    Petrol prices at the pump are shown in pounds and pence per litre, but fuel economy is still expressed in Miles Per Gallon.
    Bridge heights are shown in both imperial and metric measurements, but I have checked most of my local ones and the conversion is inaccurate, often by several inches.
    Beer in pubs is still served in pints

If you're going to be pedantic, the guy who invented the F scale - Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, was born in Danzig (now Gdańsk) Poland and claimed at various times Dutch, German, Polish and Polish–Lithuanian nationalities. Otherwise you're spot-on.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I’m still marveling that it was warmer than 11C last Christmas in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    OK that's a can of worms

If you look at the Met Office website, you will see that temperature is shown in degrees C, but wind speed is in MPH. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2020-08-04
    The UK Environment Office publishes rainfall in mm - https://assets.publishing.service.go..._July_2020.pdf
    UK road distance signs are still in miles, and speed limits are shown in MPH, so speedometers and trip meters in cars are usually in MPH and miles, although modern electronic ones can be switched to metric.
    Petrol prices at the pump are shown in pounds and pence per litre, but fuel economy is still expressed in Miles Per Gallon.
    Bridge heights are shown in both imperial and metric measurements, but I have checked most of my local ones and the conversion is inaccurate, often by several inches.
    Beer in pubs is still served in pints

If you're going to be pedantic, the guy who invented the F scale - Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, was born in Danzig (now Gdańsk) Poland and claimed at various times Dutch, German, Polish and Polish–Lithuanian nationalities. Otherwise you're spot-on.
    Isla, some years ago I flew into Shannon and rented a car - as I left the airport there was a LARGE sign warning that posted speeds were in kilometers, NOT Miles per hour. Also, the rental car had a large arrow affixed inside the windshield (windscreen) to remind one which was the proper side to drive on...

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Isla, some years ago I flew into Shannon and rented a car - as I left the airport there was a LARGE sign warning that posted speeds were in kilometers, NOT Miles per hour. Also, the rental car had a large arrow affixed inside the windshield (windscreen) to remind one which was the proper side to drive on...
    Driving in the US Virgins is even a bit more challenging, as the roads are drive left, but the cars are brought in from the US, so they are LHD. Makes it really easy to drive on the wrong side. I made my own big arrow & taped it to the dash.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Yes that's understandable. The Republic of Ireland is much more integrated with the EU than the UK ever was, and adopted the metric system more wholeheartedly than we did.
    Since 2005 all new cars sold in Ireland have speedometers that display only kilometres per hour; odometers are usually metric as well. The metric system is the only system taught in schools. Beginning in 1970, textbooks were changed to metric. Goods in shops are labelled in metric units.

It's been decidedly less than summer like for the most part here in my little corner of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    Seems like that's mostly the way it comes there. One of the things we never tired of in Texas was watching the stupendous thunder storms. Esp. at night. What a light-show! And the gutters would fill. And things would flood. And we'd oooohhh and ahhhhh...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Dreich day here in Scotland's Central Belt. Rain (lots) and wind (too much). One of those 'lost days' where it's pointless to go out, and fixing the small leak on an internal radiator was the absolute highlight.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Move south, 24C and sunny tomorrow in Suffolk.

And miss out on my free get-out-of-the-UK card?! Thanks, but no. We'll get some reasonable weather shortly.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    And miss out on my free get-out-of-the-UK card?! Thanks, but no. We'll get some reasonable weather shortly.

Andy
    Don't blame you, if it wasn't for work I'd avoid the place as well