View Poll Results: Did you know about Wilmington?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 50.00%
  • No

14 50.00%

Thread: An American Coup - did you know?

Default An American Coup - did you know?

I knew about Tulsa, but I did not know about this, did you?

Below is an excerpt from a much larger article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmin...ection_of_1898
    When Waddell and the Committee did not receive a response by 7:30 a.m. on November 10 (it is unclear when Waddell checked his mailbox), about 45 minutes later, he gathered about 500 white businessmen and veterans to the Wilmington's armory.[16] After heavily arming themselves with rifles and the Gatling gun, Waddell then led the group to the two-story publishing office of The Daily Record. They broke into Manly's building, vandalized the premises, doused the wood floors with kerosene, set the building on fire, and gutted the remains.[1][7][22][86] At the same time, black newspapers all over the state were also being destroyed. In addition, blacks, along with white Republicans, were denied entrance to city centers throughout the state.[10]

Following the fire, the mob of white vigilantes swelled to about 2,000 men. A rumor circulated that some blacks had fired on a small group of white men a mile away from the printing office.[37] White men then went into black Wilmington neighborhoods, destroying black businesses and property and assaulting black inhabitants with a mentality of killing "every damn nigger in sight".[22]

As Waddell led a group to disband, and drive out, the elected government of the city, the white mob rioted. Armed with shotguns, the mob attacked blacks throughout Wilmington, but primarily in Brooklyn, the majority-black neighborhood.[7]

The small patrols were spread out over the city and continued until nightfall. Walker Taylor was authorized by Governor Russell to command the Wilmington Light Infantry troops, just returned from the Spanish–American War, and the federal Naval Reserves, taking them into Brooklyn to quell the "riot". They intimidated both black and white crowds with rapid-fire weapons, shooting and killing several black men.[7] Hundreds of blacks fled the town to take shelter in nearby swamps.[16]

As the violence spread, Waddell led a group to the Republican Mayor, Silas P. Wright. Waddell forced Wright, the board of aldermen, and the police chief to resign at gunpoint.[22] The mob installed a new city council that elected Waddell to take over as mayor by 4 p.m. that day.[7]

Once he was declared mayor, "The Secret Nine" gave Waddell a list of prominent Republicans who he was to banish from the city. The next morning Waddell, flanked by George L. Morton and the Wilmington Light Infantry, marched six prominent black people on the list out of Wilmington; the other blacks on the list had already fled. Waddell put them on a train headed north, in a special car with armed guards who were instructed to take them over the state line.[95] Waddell then gathered the whites on the list and paraded them in front of a large crowd, allowing G. Z. French to be dragged on the ground and nearly lynched from a telephone pole, before he was allowed to board the train and leave the city.[23]
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-03-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: problems posting the poll

Default Re: An American Coup - did you know?

Sounds more like a pogrom.
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

-- James Madison, Federalist 55

I leaned about it couple of months ago, so I answered yes - but not for 64 years, even reading a fair bit of history.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I knew that Reconstruction generally devolved into "free" form of black servitude. I did not know about the Wilmington Coup.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I leaned about it couple of months ago, so I answered yes - but not for 64 years, even reading a fair bit of history.
    I can't imagine that you'd find this in school textbooks.

I actually learned about it in high school, but I was lucky enough to go to a private school & history there taught me many things my compatriots in public school never heard about. There were many things I'd bring up with friends that got me blank looks & quite a bit of disbelief.

US schools have left out a lot of inconvenient thruths. While a lot of things that happened to African-Americans were "left out", treatment of Native Americans was even more glossed.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

High school for me also. It was not part of the regular curriculum. But I had good relationship with a subversive Social Studies teacher. He's the one who helped me discover the roots of the Vietnam War when I started asking questions. When he discovered I had a chunk of family from N. Carolina - he asked if I knew about the 'Wilmington Coup'. Then he provided some references that told a fairly whitewashed version of it, and told me the rest.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I learned about it only a year ago, entirely by accident, while reading a book About the cape fear river that I found in a beach house. Am certain I never heard a single thing about it prior to that.

Edit to add: I’m also certain that I could have heard about it earlier if I had asked more questions. Don’t mean to blame my ignorance on everyone else.
    Last edited by NickN; 08-03-2020 at 08:32 PM.

I heard of it though Jon Oliver on HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I actually learned about it in high school, but I was lucky enough to go to a private school & history there taught me many things my compatriots in public school never heard about. There were many things I'd bring up with friends that got me blank looks & quite a bit of disbelief.

US schools have left out a lot of inconvenient thruths. While a lot of things that happened to African-Americans were "left out", treatment of Native Americans was even more glossed.
    Same here. But I went to a decent public high school, styled after, and accredited as, a gymnasium in Deutschland. 6 year program, 2 years of Latin, 2 years of another language, gobs o' maths.

I had an Econ class in 9th grade. To this day, "Gentlemen, defend capitalism."

8th grade English... Tim Morehouse had us reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales... in Old English. Aloud.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I learned about it in John Sayles novel, "A Moment In The Sun". About 10 years ago.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I did not learn about it until I got into College. Grade School never touched anything past the Civil war and High School glossed over most of reconstruction into the World Wars. I got very tired of being taught the Revolutionary War over and over and over again.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Bingo. HS 'history', isn't.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I’ve had a few layovers there. Learned about it when I was googling the town.
    It’s a nice little city. Our daughter is interested in living and working there.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

No and I grew up 100 miles from Wilmington.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Bingo. HS 'history', isn't.
    Well, yes, but . . . All history is incomplete, more or less. Folks' choice of what to leave out is often very interesting. I've said this before, but I read a lot of history of the mid-19th century growing up, lots of Civil War stuff, and I find it fascinating that in most of what I read in the 1960s and '70s, the ex-Confederacy vanished entirely after 1877 until well into the 20th century. The whole post-Reconstruction restoration of white rule just wasn't there. Its effects, sure, since the civil rights movement was well underway, but how we got from emancipation to George Wallace? Nada. I'm sure I could have found it had I gone looking, but it wasn't in standard popular histories.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Same year as the annexation of Hawaii and the seizure and colonization of the Phillipines, Cuba and the Caribbean. Indian wars officially continued until 1924. Imperialism domestic and abroad.

We are going to paying retributions to everyone. To pay for it, let's begin by taking from social security and medicare.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-04-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    My mind wanders terribly. My daydreaming as it is has been of immense use to me as regards to imaginative thought. I use it to take me to places others have yet to go and brings me back safely home.

The vast majority of 'us' have little clue as to our 'origins', how we got where we are today. And as sympathetic as 'we' may be to the plight of those we used/stole from - it's all part/parcel of why so many of us live relatively comfortable lives.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

The vast majority of 'us' have little clue as to our 'origins', how we got where we are today. And as sympathetic as 'we' may be to the plight of those we used/stole from - it's all part/parcel of why so many of us live relatively comfortable lives.
    This is why we are a Christian Nation. We can ask for Jesus personally for help and God's forgiveness when the day is done never having to give anything back.
    My mind wanders terribly. My daydreaming as it is has been of immense use to me as regards to imaginative thought. I use it to take me to places others have yet to go and brings me back safely home.

It's true that conquest and expansion has long been baked into the human dna.

The issue for me is that we (or any victor/conqueror) didn't and don't have to be cruel into the bargain. An example -- we'd be presently living no diminished sort of life if we had treated the Creek, et.al. better. The 'Trail of Tears' didn't have to be that ugly and inhumane. Bad enough that we were banishing them to a new, unknown, locale, far from their familiar lands and climate. But we insisted on viewing the 'other' as also 'lesser'.

The wisest of leaders are able to make the switch - when victory is achieved - from aggressor to human. Analogous, I suppose, to the switch from Type 1 to Type 2 thinking when such is more appropriate. It takes judgement... and some skill. Which we too often don't have.

One example... compare the above example to WWII, and the Marshall Plan. In the first case, we acted shamefully. In the second, admirably (and more productively in the long term).

Another phenomenon - the worse we behaved, the harder it seems to be for us to admit it and correct it. See... BLM. And the whole 'Indian Reservation' system. By any rational measure, we have had plenty of time to switch to more humane approaches.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

NPR had a segment on this early this year.
    Will

I'd guess that I first learned about it 10 years ago, but it might have been 14 years, or 8.

I agree no one was teaching about it when I grew up, or after.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter