Thread: A thought on the postal service

Default A thought on the postal service

Ed Schultz, when he had his show, often reported on efforts to privatize the postal service.

Republicans have wanted to do so for a very long time.

One of the things Schultz pointed out is there are large portions of this country that are quite sparsely populated. Perhaps as much as 25% of our geography.

UPS will accept a package for addresses in these areas, but the postal service delivers it. Same thing, I believe, with Fed EX.

It's simply not profitable to deliver in sparsely populated areas.

Seems to me these are areas that tend to vote for Republicans. I wonder if they know any of what's going on, and if the do, how they feel about it.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: A thought on the postal service

There will have to be a Constitutional Amendment for those sick, criminal bursteds to do it legally, and that is a can of worms nobody wants to open in a politically stable environment, much less the fustercluck we seem to be in right now.

So, the great, criminal, seditionist cabal formerly known as the Republican Party will forge ahead and attempt to destroy the USPS extra-legally, and that suits me fine.

Just another reason to hang a bunch of them when all their treasonous doings shake out.

Let's hope we don't get another "Let's look forward" speech from Biden if he wins.

I wish we had looked back at G.W.'s legalizing torture and a few other things he did.

The postal service has been trusted with a great many things; bills, payment of bills, census, magazines, etc.

And most people, if they take a moment to think, will be hard pressed to find something that's given more reliable service at a more reasonable price than the USPS.

Maybe we've all had one or two bad experiences, but they are the exception and not always the fault of the postal service. Bad weather grounds planes. Planes crash. Planes get hijacked. They all have mail on board. A traffic accident can cause a traffic jam, which the mail truck has no magic way around, and the mail on that truck misses a connection. S**t happens. but virtually everything that's been mailed to me has arrived the next day.

I live in a rural area of sorts. The mail only comes to the nearest road, about a mile walk from the house. I love the Usps, and our carrier Debbie gets a steady input of fresh avocados in season, apricot and strawberry jam, and a couple of bottles of good wine at the holidays.

In many respects as soon as you become rural, nothing has changed since the days of the Sears and Roebuck catalog. (They call it Amazon now)
    And (for the last 20 years) we vote by mail

There are only two words for the current diversion and the second one is trump.

Red states are net receivers of federal dollars and services. Yet they vote to cut taxes. Because they tend to be less educated. Which is by design for republicans.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

How reds in rural America can reconcile the idea is very simple. They simply do it the same way they do Obamacare. Get rid of it, just don't touch my ACA! (This is also the demographic that seems to be intellectually more susceptible to covid19.)
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    How reds in rural America can reconcile the idea is very simple. They simply do it the same way they do Obamacare. Get rid of it, just don't touch my ACA! (This is also the demographic that seems to be intellectually more susceptible to covid19.)
    True. Kentucky proved a shining example of that.