Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superspreaders on Two Wheels

Default Superspreaders on Two Wheels

Riding a Harley is all about freedom.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...virus-concerns

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Expects 250,000, Stirring Virus Concerns

Sioux Falls, S.D. (AP) -- Sturgis is on. The message has been broadcast across social media as South Dakota, which has seen an uptick in coronavirus infections in recent weeks, braces to host hundreds of thousands of bikers for the 80th edition of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

More than 250,000 people are expected to rumble through western South Dakota, seeking the freedom of cruising the boundless landscapes in a state that has skipped lockdowns. The Aug. 7 to 16 event, which could be the biggest anywhere so far during the pandemic, will offer businesses that depend on the rally a chance to make up for losses caused by the coronavirus. But for many in Sturgis, a city of about 7,000, the brimming bars and bacchanalia will not be welcome during a pandemic.

Though only about half the usual number of people are expected at this year's event, residents were split as the city weighed its options. Many worried that the rally would cause an unmanageable outbreak of COVID-19...............
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Default Re: Superspreaders on Two Wheels

Uh huh…………………..

If it only involved the attendees then a usefull cull could be expected. Unfortunately they all go hme again. If only you could keep them there for a month…… but that's not fair on the residents is it.

So if it has 250,000 come that’s ten times the population of the county

from the article:
    The attorney for a tourism souvenir wholesaler in Rapid City wrote to the City Council reminding that a judge found the city does not solely own rights to the rally and threatening to sue if the city tried to postpone it. Meanwhile, the Buffalo Chip, which is the largest campground and concert venue that lies outside the bounds of the city, made clear that it would hold some version of the rally.

The gathering would simply be declared a public health hazard in my country, that would make it illegal. Over here it's a decision of the mayor, if necessary this decision can of course be reviewed by a judge.
    I'm not surprised that you don't get a grip on the pandemic if your authorities do not have the proper jurisdiction or courage to ban these irresponsible initiatives during this Covid 19 pandemic.

#cheapharleysnow
    Play the opening like a book, the middle game like a magician, and the endgame like a machine. – Rudolph Spielmann

The comments section of the Fox News article was one email after another using the BLM protests to justify Sturgis.

of course trying to point out one was protest for the extrajudicial execution of a blackman vs Sturgis, a bunch of ne’er-do-wells out for a good time would be pointless.

I really hope they don’t get anywhere near the 250,000 they fear they might get.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I am so glad I'm out of SD.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    #cheapharleysnow
    Ouch.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Just think! All those Trump voters gone by November.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

A former co-worker now owns a restaurant / bar in Deadwood - things could get 'interesting' for them, as the annual ride brought in lots of revenue.

Rick

I'm beginning to think it's time to question why so many among us don't take this virus more seriously.

There's no cure. It's obviously quite contagious. It seems quite severe and even if one survives, one does so with lasting health issues.

Hard to believe there are so many people who refuse to believe this.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

I have a co-worker (I suppose that’s former coworker now since I retired) that just headed there from GA with his wife and a few friends. Of coarse they are trump supporters and think it is all a hoax. We shall see. I expect a large number of cases will arise from it. Hope I’m wrong.
    Tom

So, if incubation takes 2 weeks, they'll all be kickin' in between the 21st and 30th of August.
    Screenshot_20200803-144953_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Bow; 08-03-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    So, if incubation takes 2 weeks, they'll all be kickin' in between the 21st and 30th of August.
    All over the country. And these are people that don’t believe in contact tracing. Violation of rights or freedom or something.
    Tom

Only rights that seem to matter are theirs. The right to not be infected by these stupid bastids apparently doesn't exist. If only they were the only ones to suffer I would be okay with that. If only 50% of the braindead were infected you would see your government react quickly. Can't dilute the base!

Well at least they’ll be easy to pick out and avoid.
    Beer gut, bald head, facial hair, Tattoos and very possibly a MAGA hat.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

The Algorithm Is Watching

In the big book of bad ideas, this one is monumental. Astonishingly poor judgment.

I just do not understand how anybody things a possibly life threatening virus is a hoax. All you need do is look at the sheer numbers of dead or those hospitals completely full to the brim.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

EAA, about the same size event, was canceled. Rock & country USA (Week long music festivals across the highway from EAA) We’re also canceled. I believe Jesusfest was also canceled. These are huge hits to the fox valley economy but the responsible thing to do. The organizers of Sturgis should be held accountable. I’m surprised they can still get insurance for this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    EAA, about the same size event, was canceled. Rock & country USA (Week long music festivals across the highway from EAA) We’re also canceled. I believe Jesusfest was also canceled. These are huge hits to the fox valley economy but the responsible thing to do. The organizers of Sturgis should be held accountable. I’m surprised they can still get insurance for this fiasco.
    "Nobody owns Sturgis" is the mantra. Nobody has authority, so nobody is liable.

Too bad we don't have any federal leadership. None.

Does the city face a 'duty of care' obligation for just being the location, or is the event being held on private land? It would seem to me that if the event is deemed a threat to pubic health (and it is) then no city (public) locations should be permitted to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    "Nobody owns Sturgis" is the mantra. Nobody has authority, so nobody is liable.

Too bad we don't have any federal leadership. None.
    so Sturgis can’t be stopped? No ones in charge? 250,000 show up and not one permit is required? I drove by EAA last week. There were posted signs “do not enter”. They anticipated misguided loyal aviation worshipers showing up. Some did, but not many. They did a great job putting the word out.

Sturgis could have done the same thing. They let themselves get rolled by a lawyer representing a gift shop. Sad.

Think of it as a Trump rally on wheels.

That sort of blind, determined stupidity has its drawbacks.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Sturgis: hundreds of thousands of non-conformists all dressed alike and acting alike
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Sturgis: hundreds of thousands of non-conformists all dressed alike and acting alike

Hah! Just sprayed my beer across the room!
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Superspreaders on Two Wheels

The comments section of the Fox News article was one email after another using the BLM protests to justify Sturgis.

of course trying to point out one was protest for the extrajudicial execution of a blackman vs Sturgis, a bunch of ne’er-do-wells out for a good time would be pointless.

I really hope they don’t get anywhere near the 250,000 they fear they might get.
    That would be, not "ne'er-do-wells", but "doing rather well, thank you very much".

Have you priced an H-D in these latter days?

A lot of posers, as they might say at JCSOH's beach in Orange County, who truck their Harleys to near Sturgis and make their triumphant entry on two wheels.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

And you can add 'South by Southwest' to the list of cancellations

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    In the big book of bad ideas, this one is monumental. Astonishingly poor judgment.
    Astonishingly poor judgement? You're talking about people who chose to ride Harley Davidson motorcycles. People say that some of them, the motorcycles that is, even have push rods.

Pete
    I have seven trolls on ignore

I imagine the Governor could call out the National Guard to turn the riders away, but what are the chances of that happening? With the average age of Harley rider being 47, they are well into that age group that should be very afraid of this Virus.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

There's too much to quote above, but I take multiple exceptions to a lot of the comments. In particular I and my friends are not a bunch of ne’er-do-wells and not all Trump supporters. The crowd is pretty thick with Trump supporters though

We were at Bike Week in Daytona (March 6th - March 15th) when the COVID-19 outbreak was first hitting the country. The City of Daytona pulled all vendor permits and effectively closed their portion of the event the last weekend. They even blocked off Main Street for a time, but then it reopened for riding through. Responsible businesses closed, responsible people went home, but a few businesses made it a point to say they were private property and that they could and would do as they d--- well pleased. And yes, plenty of Trump signs and flags were evident.

Thankfully it was too early in the outbreak for any of that to turn into super spreader events, but here the event is spread over portions of several jurisdictions. I can't imagine how the authorities could have shut down it all, and it would have been pretty ugly if they tried (thinking of trying to get folks off of private property, camp grounds, etc.)

As stated above and that I don't take exception with, is the fact that a lot of the riders in the demographic are over 50, but maybe they're the 50% staying home. And hopefully more will stay home or stay outside of the crowded events. I haven't been to Sturgis (yet), but I've heard the riding is exceptional. Riding down A1A is one of the best parts of Bike Week.

My .02

Lots of people around who view their "right" to "just have some fun" as being more important than others rights not to get sick and die. We currently have thousands of them here on Mount Desert Island vacationing. The sad part is that our democratic governor is encouraging them because, after all, the economy is more important than staying alive. Total Covid-19 cases in Hancock county Maine (where MDI is) were up 90% last week. That is a 90% increase in cases since the pandemic started in one week.
    Last edited by Todd D; 08-04-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Our scooter club is planning a group ride to the Kancamangas Highway in a couple of weeks. With Social Distancing and masks when needed. There have been several successful group rides already this summer. Events can be safe if people are willing to adapt and follow the guidelines. Very sad when they aren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Our scooter club is planning a group ride to the Kancamangas Highway in a couple of weeks. With Social Distancing and masks when needed. There have been several successful group rides already this summer. Events can be safe if people are willing to adapt and follow the guidelines. Very sad when they aren’t.
    A significant fraction of the local vacationers are not taking precautions. In addition there are lots of people here from states for which a quarantine is required who are clearly not paying any attention to that. The states "honor" system approach to rules is creating a hazard for those of us who live here. I was in Bar Harbor yesterday (to do my biweekly grocery shopping) and about 30% of the people on the street were not masked. Just the normal "I am on vacation so the rules don't apply to me" group. Personally I have a lot of trouble understanding the mind set of a person who thinks an out of state vacation is a good idea during a pandemic. By the way it is OK with me if you take an out of state vacation, just don't come here after your trip.

Incidentally Acadia National Park has the right attitude. They just announced that NONE of their campgrounds will be open this year. Good for them. I just wish the commercial campgrounds had as much sense.
    Last edited by Todd D; 08-04-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia...41 View Post
    There's too much to quote above, but I take multiple exceptions to a lot of the comments. In particular I and my friends are not a bunch of ne’er-do-wells and not all Trump supporters. The crowd is pretty thick with Trump supporters though

We were at Bike Week in Daytona (March 6th - March 15th) when the COVID-19 outbreak was first hitting the country. The City of Daytona pulled all vendor permits and effectively closed their portion of the event the last weekend. They even blocked off Main Street for a time, but then it reopened for riding through. Responsible businesses closed, responsible people went home, but a few businesses made it a point to say they were private property and that they could and would do as they d--- well pleased. And yes, plenty of Trump signs and flags were evident.

Thankfully it was too early in the outbreak for any of that to turn into super spreader events, but here the event is spread over portions of several jurisdictions. I can't imagine how the authorities could have shut down it all, and it would have been pretty ugly if they tried (thinking of trying to get folks off of private property, camp grounds, etc.)

As stated above and that I don't take exception with, is the fact that a lot of the riders in the demographic are over 50, but maybe they're the 50% staying home. And hopefully more will stay home or stay outside of the crowded events. I haven't been to Sturgis (yet), but I've heard the riding is exceptional. Riding down A1A is one of the best parts of Bike Week.

My .02
    If you enjoy a nice ride through the Black Hills, I'd say almost any other time - other than Sturgis - is a better option. It gets pretty crowded during the rally - and there's just enough yahoos mucking about, to make it more dangerous. I believe it's still possible to lease a Harley when you get there - and too many folk with no experience are doing just that. Needles Highway can be mighty unforgiving if you miss a curve.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....