Thread: So I built a Dinghy in my bedroom and now I want to build another one. But which?

Default So I built a Dinghy in my bedroom and now I want to build another one. But which?

Hello.

So I did it. With all the craziness going on, I just went for it, abandoned my bedroom and converted it into a boat workshop.

As I was advised - I started with something small and easy instead of my actual dreamboat and went for a 15’ kit dinghy - a ‘Colin’s Pathfinder’ from fyneboat kits in the Lake District (UK).

It’s plywood panels stich and glue fibreglassed outside and part inside. And this is what it looked like before the final sanding, varnishing and ‘topside’ paint.

IMG_8892.jpg

I might start a thread with a few impressions of the build and all my stuff ups on the way if anyone wants a laugh

I’m still negotiating a bit regarding the rigging and sails - she was designed as a gaff/gunter sloop but getting the details for the rigging and sails from fyne boat proofs a bit frustrating at the moment, so I might have to open another thread about that here at some point to get your thoughts.

But while I am getting ready to break down my makeshift bedroom workshop I am starting to think about the next project, since it will take a bit to sort it all out and get going.

So here is (already) my actual ‘question’:

My ultimate ‘dream boat’ was a Buzzards Bay 15 - which just started me on this whole craziness.

Realising that that’s not exactly a realistic endeavour (definitely not for a first boat), so I started looking at some more feasible options and what I actually want to do with the boat when I have built her.

Ideal would be a boat that I can take on a trailer around the UK and to Europe (Lake District, Alps - stuff like that to start with.
    Daytrips and to camping weekends. Then in a while some nice weather coastal day trips maybe.
    Launchable from a trailer and can be sailed confidently single handed.
    Space for my partner her daughter (10) and me.
    So a trailerable costal daysailer / camping cruiser.

Looking into commercial boats, I found the Swallow Yachts Bayraider 20 and in a way that seems to tick pretty much all my boxes.
    Even self bailing and self righting with a full water ballast.
    Good size but reasonable trailer weight, and a flexible sail plan that also gives the chance to get a bit of speedy fun on a nice day.
    She’s not anywhere as elegant as a Buzzards Bay or a Haven 12 1/2 but could be uglier

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 17.22.15.jpg

Problem: I want to build a boat, not buy it.

So I am looking for something that is somewhere in that ballpark and I found John Welsford’s designs specifically the Pathfinder, Pilgrim
    and Whaler. I do like the practicality of his designs and from their popularity and all the cruising blogs/videos I assume they are quite capable.

Now I come from a very visual background (I’m a cinematographer), which means I am unreasonably biased towards looks over practicality and
    while all of those are beautiful boats, the stitch and glue carvel shape never quite appealed to me as much as a smooth hull.
    So I wonder if one could perhaps modify the design to strip plank (cold mold) and fiberglass the whaler or pathfinder and how that change would
    affect how they sail.
    I’m aware that this means a lot more effort and cost than a stitch and glue plywood boat.

There’s also the William Garden Eel, which I quite like - although I suppose an open boat gives more options and feels more spacious than ending up
    With a tiny cabin and a tiny cockpit.

otter_gbay_72dpi.jpg

But then every time I think I have made up my mind I end up coming back to the Haven 12 1/2 or Flatfish (ideal would be something in-between) or the Buzzards Bay and I wonder, maybe I should just go for one of those real classic designs, because they are so beautiful.
    And then I think again about how a heavy 100% displacement boat like that would sail today compared to those modern lightweight flat hulls and at what point that ballast becomes a pain to trailer.

And I wonder if there’s a design out there, that goes a bit towards the flexibility of a BayRaider, that I can build myself and that has some reminiscence of those beautiful slender lines of the old small racing yachts.

I know I’m throwing a lot of very different animals into this mix and that a lot of these old design elements like the overhangs to minimise nominal waterline length etc don’t make much practical sense any more these days but I just wanted to throw this all out there and see what all your thoughts are

Haha ... this got much longer than intended.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ArthurDent; 08-01-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Default Re: So I built a Dinghy in my bedroom and now I want to build another one. But which?

Nice boat! Say, keep in mind that water ballast in an open boat is a two-edged tool. The boat can right itself and go sailing off without you. This can be inconvenient, especially if you're single-handing. With more people, there's more chance someone will hang onto the boat.

Default Re: So I built a Dinghy in my bedroom and now I want to build another one. But which?

You might look at the Somes Sound 12 1/2, glued lap construction but I suppose it could be strip-planked. I know somebody who tows his behind a VW Eurovan so it's not all that heavy.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

If you want a big-ish boat that's beautiful and build-able, one possibility would be Don Kurylko's Myst design:

Myst.jpg

(Photo stolen from this lovely BUILD THREAD)

Strip-planked, large enough to haul a few people around, light-weight for trailering.

Plans available HERE printed or download.

I built Don's smaller Alaska design (my first real build, but with lots of help) and have been very happy with it.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Have a look at Bolgers Spartina. Pretty boat, especially when sloop rigged. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl

Arthur

Admin (Scot) frowns on swearing so you may wish to change "f##kups" to something else.

Nick

I wonder if Vivier's Ebihen 16, which he has strip plank plans for, might be interesting to you: http://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/ebihen-16-strip/

Thank you all for your thoughts (and sorry for the cussing - I learnt most of my english in Australia in a warehouse - it took some time to adjust when I got the UK. haha)

All the boats suggested are very nice - especially the D18. - Myst is beautiful!

I ended up on John Welsfords facebook and he very kindly replied super quickly regarding strip planking. It turns out, both Pathfinder and 6m Whaler have been built strip planked and I was pointed to some images of a strip planked Navigator, which looked amazing.
    With the comfort of all the blogs and the community of people who have built these boats and Johns incredibly generous 'customer service', I think I am pretty much sold on either the Pathfinder or the Whaler built in strip planking.

I don't mind the extra work - I'm looking as much forward to the building as to the sailing some day.

He also said water ballast could be added to both designs although he doesn't think it is necessary in competent hands (which means he has not seen me sailing - haha).

Now the question is Whaler or Pathfinder - I like the shape of the whaler and the possibility of a motor well instead of a transom hung outboarder, but I'm not sure if the shape and slightly larger size will mean a lot more work and if the 6m/300kg will make much of a
    difference for launching and trailering over 5.25/220kg?

What would you think regarding those two?

Cheers!

Where are you planning to build a 6m 220kg boat? You do have to get it out the door and onto a trailer. Just curious.

Not sure yet - haha.

The bedroom won't work for this one ... haha. I could use the lounge instead but the windows there are smaller and it's also my kitchen, so the sawdust and epoxy are probably prohibitive - lol.

Maybe my landlord allows me to build a boat shed in the garden or I find a double garage to rent. I live in London and a moderate workshop space costs about a grand a month.

A friend with a limited workspace at the time built a Lyle Hess Catboat. Big short boat. Joel White has a very nice open catboat design.

Where I live (Rotterdam area, Netherlands) it's almost impossible to get permission to build a shed without first tearing down something of roughly the same size. However, things like pergola's or gazebo's are considered 'garden furniture' and don't need permission, as long as the neighbours are okay with it. So I decided to stretch de definition of pergola to it's limits and built this contraption in my garden.
    DSC05240.jpg