Thread: herreshoff 12 1/2

Default herreshoff 12 1/2

Are the dimensions for a Marconi rig given for the Haven the same as the Herreshoff boat?
    Are there dimensions specified somewhere for the Herreshoff that race with the Marconi rig.I can see the Gaff rules but not the Marconi?
    advice appreciated
    Frobisher

Default Re: herreshoff 12 1/2

Welcome to the Forum!
    I can't give you any exact advice, but the only thing Joel White did when designing the Haven was to make it a shoal draft boat instead of full keel. I believe all other measurements are the same.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thank you for that
    I have a H12 in build .The Gaff measurements are given to the last inch but no mention of the Marconi.
    I will work on Joel Whites figures.
    I calculate the weight of the Marconi mast at 40lbs as opposed to the Gaff mast at 29 lbs.
    Trying to decide the best taking into consideration weight lifting ability

See WoodenBoat magazine issue #217 for a really clear analysis and comparison of the H12 with all it's derivations: Haven, Somes Sound, Bolger, and Buzzards Bay 14.

The Haven is distinctly fuller in the bilge with a beam 2" wider than the H12. To my knowledge, Herreshoff did not design a marconi rig for the H12, gaff only. Haven's have been done with gaff, marconi, and gunter. John Brooks designed the Somes Sound off both the H12 and the Haven. It is spec'd with either the marconi (this is what I built for my SS) or gaff.

All the boats have slightly different underwater forms but all have the same 12 1/2' LWL. (Except for the BB14,of course.)

Jeff

Regarding the mast...... I built a marconi mast for my Somes Sound using the birdsmouth method. It weighs less than 30 pounds rigged. I can carry it and step it myself although it is helpful to have help on the ground, while I'm in the boat. Carrying it and even tipping it up isn't difficult. The crux is having to lift it while vertical and place it into the partner and step. Sort of like lifting a highland caber I'd imagine. Without a centerboard in the way, stepping would be easier.

Jeff

I intend to look at Wooden Boat magazine especially as back offers are on discount this week but the index only mentioned the Somes boat ,not a comparison of all derivatives of the H12'
    I resume NH must have designed the Marconi rig as he offered it for the first time in 1926.
    The weight figure is handy as my calculation was a solid fir.
    One of my considerations is that I want to lower the mast for bridges but want good pointing to come up the river. Gaff for one ,marconi for the other.
    weight is also a consideration
    frobisher

The article I mentioned was written about the Somes Sound. As part of the article they did a comparison of all the boats. I guess the index didn't include everything.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Are the dimensions for a Marconi rig given for the Haven the same as the Herreshoff boat?
    Are there dimensions specified somewhere for the Herreshoff that race with the Marconi rig.I can see the Gaff rules but not the Marconi?
    advice appreciated
    Frobisher
    what dimensions are you seeking? I have an original H12 Marconi rig I can look at for you.

Kind offer,
    I want to confirm the Mast,Boom,Jib Club measurements
    If Joel Whites Haven is a copy of the H12 rig I can use those figures.
    As H12s Marconi boats race I thought there would be Rules covering measurements.Pretty comprehensive for the Gaff Rig
    Have you a topping lift rigged ?

Have any Herreshoffs 12 1/2 been built in clinker