Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help with small DIY sail plan, trimaran setup.

Default Re: Newbie needs help with small DIY sail plan, trimaran setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Yep. Or just add a little loop of line (roband) at the clew corner that goes around the boom and keeps it close to the sail.
    Roband on the clew! Here I am with robands all up and down the luff, and I didn't even think of putting one on the clew. Thats perfect Todd. That will let me tension the foot too. You should write a book. I would definitely buy it.

What about the tack? Can I roband it too? And tension it similar to an outhaul?
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.”
    “You’re never beaten until you admit it.”
    - General George Smith Patton

https://www.amazon.com/Canoe-Rig-Ess.../dp/0937822574

Small feedback from a cheap guy... I just ordered a used copy, I looked for a cheaper digital copy when I started my project. I'll bet you would sell alot of digital copies in the 5-10 dollar range to people like me thinking about such things but too cheap for a 30 dollar hardback. Besides being cheap I am trying to declutter my life and my physical library was one of the hardest things to let go, digital is a great compromise for me.
    Last edited by narfiwillem; 07-07-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Woo Hoo! Tropical Storm Elsa is coming to town! 30 knot winds and all the rain you can drink! Anybody wanna take a quick ride from Strom Thurmond dam to the head waters of the Savannah River in northern Georgia tonight? 30 knot winds should get us there pretty quick, right?

Of course I am kidding. I did that once, scared the crap outta me and broke my leeboard. I try not to make the same mistake twice...

Todd's book is great but don't lend it out like I did.

I'll bet you would sell a lot of digital copies in the 5-10 dollar range to people like me thinking about such things but too cheap for a 30 dollar hardback.
    Possibly, although I only get about $2 in royalties per copy sold of the $30 hardback version, so instead of just peanuts per copy, I'd only get portions of peanuts. Plus, knowing what I could do in Photoshop and my drawing program to other people's digital illustrations if I had the desire to do so, I'd rather not make them quite as accessible to those who might modify and/or use them for other purposes.

I do have a copy of the book in PDF form that I use myself and I'll agree that it is very handy and only uses 27.5 megabytes of storage space. Also, being able to zoom in and see things can be really nice on a book full of illustrations showing how to do stuff, but I'm not at all keen on the idea of offering it up that way at this point. It just makes it way too easy for people who are looking to pirate stuff. I suppose that like music and everything else, it will sooner or later get digitized, but later works better for me. Nobody in their right mind writes boating books to make money, and the process is not fun at all, but getting a few bucks here and there for your work is still nice.

Sample:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm65nf5rez...ample.JPG?dl=0

With four canoes, three kayaks, two catarafts, two sit on tops, an iceboat, a river raft, a small sailboat and a motorboat I may be pretty much "built-out" at my age and should probably concentrate more on just using the stuff we already have. However, if I was going to build one more, it would probably be a strip version of Gary's Ulua design. I have a lot of small hunks of leftover Dacron sailcloth and have always thought that it would be neat to do one loosely inspired by the primitive sails made from small bits of whatever fabric the boat's owners could find. It would be kind of fun.

ulua.jpg

Possibly, although I only get about $2 in royalties per copy sold of the $30 hardback version, so instead of just peanuts per copy, I'd only get portions of peanuts. Plus, knowing what I could do in Photoshop and my drawing program to other people's digital illustrations if I had the desire to do so, I'd rather not make them quite as accessible to those who might modify and/or use them for other purposes.

I do have a copy of the book in PDF form that I use myself and I'll agree that it is very handy and only uses 27.5 megabytes of storage space. Also, being able to zoom in and see things can be really nice on a book full of illustrations showing how to do stuff, but I'm not at all keen on the idea of offering it up that way at this point. It just makes it way too easy for people who are looking to pirate stuff. I suppose that like music and everything else, it will sooner or later get digitized, but later works better for me. Nobody in their right mind writes boating books to make money, and the process is not fun at all, but getting a few bucks here and there for your work is still nice.

Sample:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm65nf5rez...ample.JPG?dl=0
    Fair enough, I understand those points.
    Completely off topic and I opologize, it is interesting for me to read about the publishing and marketing process for small projects like that.
    While I am cheap, I wouldn't feel right using a pirated copy and suspect anyone who would use the pirated version wouldn't have purchased the legit version to start with.
    For $2 out of $30 I wonder what % you would get out of a $5-10 digital sale, perhaps close to the same $2 with more volume? (again nothing I know about, just interesting to think about)

There are a few scifi/fantasy authors I have downloaded and listened to serialized audio books they offered for free where I ended up buying either their print copies (before I purged my library) or payed for their audio versions on audible. I somewhat see your advise on the forum here that way, though for $2 per book, it obviously isn't worth you putting much effort into. I appreciate it none the less. Thinking about it now, buying a used copy probably didn't even get you the $2....

Hey guys, went sailing yesterday and it was a freaking good time! Until I lost my rudder.... You can go to my channel to see some new videos I posted if you want, but here is the link to one I made of the broken rudder. So guess who is going to be redesigning and making a new rudder? Yeah, me.:

Last edited by Lee.007; 07-11-2021 at 09:31 PM.

So for my new rudder design, I am thinking it is going to be a solid piece, not a hollow piece. I will probably make it out of layered plywood to get the correct foil shape, but I think i messed up making it hollow. I want to keep the foil shape cause I think it is way more efficient that just sticking a piece of plywood in the water with beveled edges. From looking at the point where it broke, it looks like water got inside more than I thought, caused some rot, and led to the failure. If I do a solid rudder, it will definitely have cedar strips on the outside to keep the theme of the boat.

I probably need to start thinking the same for the leeboard since it had some water invasion also. Make the same shape, but make it solid out of plywood instead of hollow. The hollow ones are just too weak I think. I thought the fiberglass and epoxy would make up for that, but the fiberglass snapped right in two. Granted, the wind was blowing hard yesterday evening, but I still don't want to take any chances with a hollow design anymore. Maybe if I was making it out of aircraft aluminum, but not wood.

By the way Todd, the roband idea for the clew on the boom worked like a charm. I didn't have any beads to put on it, and it was just a test anyway, but it worked great. I will make a permanent one with beads.

I will say that in general I have a lot more faith in solid wooden boards and blades than I do in those made from plywood, where half of the grain is running the wrong direction and not contributing much to longitudinal stiffness and strength. I guess it depends on the shape of that particular item, its size and the quality of the plywood, so we will see how they do.

I think the last airfoil blades I made were a single long canoe leeboard from a piece of cherry I had on hand and a new and fairly long rudder blade for a Merit 22 (I think, maybe 21) that we used to race with a club. The boat had a habit of heeling over a lot in a blow and the rudder would come all the way out of the water. The resulting spins were something to see. I did the airfoiling on my old radial arm saw with repeated 3/4" wide rip cuts with a dado blade, stepping up or down in cut depth between cuts as needed and blocking as needed underneath for the second side cuts Final shaping and removal of the stair steps was done with sanders.

I don't know whether orienting plywood diagonally, rather than up and down would be better, or just a waste of wood, but it would be interesting to find out.

You just gave me an excellent idea Todd. The only reason I wasn't going to use a solid wooden board was the difficulty in shaping. But, with your dado blade cutting process, I have an idea. Instead of using a dado blade which I don't have, I could use a single blade and make several longitudinal cuts of varying depth, matching the airfoil profile, about a 1/4" apart. Then I could use a hammer to just knock loose the "strips" of wood from the profile, sand it all down, wrap with a layer or three of fiberglass and epoxy. It would take some time, but I think that would be the easiest way to do it. The hard part is going to be finding a piece of lumber without knots in it for a decent price nowadays.

I was just down in my garage going through my stack of wood scraps. I don't have anything that is the right dimensions to cut out a profile so it looks like a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot is going to have to happen.

+1 for Todd's solid rudder.
    A rudder bends sideways primarily.
    It needs wood running vertically to take the load.
    The major bending of the rudder will be about 30% of the way from the leading edge.
    So the pivot bolt needs to be at the same spot.
    If you can push the pivot bolt as far forward in the tiller head, that will reduce bending of the tiller head cheeks.
    Where the board is inserted into the tiller head, the board needs to be flat.
    So just shape the board below the tiller head.

Most people will make the starting blank for the rudder by cutting a good board into vertical strips.
    Then flip every other strip so the grain goes the opposite direction when looking from the end.
    This reduces the tendency of the board to warp.
    Glue the strips back together with epoxy.
    Then shape.
    Coat with your favorite glass and epoxy for waterproofing and a little strength.

If you want the strip planked look, you could cut the initial foil shape undersized, then laminate on strips.
    It would be better to use a strong wood for the strips, not cedar.

Or possibly reversing the initial strips might give you enough of the strip planked look.

Pretty soon you are going to have experienced and built just about every feature necessary in boating.
    What an education.

By the way, do you think the "1 inch" thick pine shelving boards would be sufficient, assuming they had no knots in them? Or would it have to be the expensive stuff like oak or birch or something?

upchurchmr, Looks like I was typing at the same time as you. I am pretty lazy. Hard headed too. But I am going to take your advice on cutting strips and reversing them. And yes, I will slit some 1/8" cedar strips to keep the theme going.

Yup, I am learning by the school of hard knocks. Which is actually the best education system. Experience and learning from mistakes cant be replicated in a classroom.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys. I got "pulled over" by the county sheriff on the lake yesterday. I didn't know that was a thing. But anyway, they wanted to make sure I had a life jacket. But they spent 20 minutes checking out my boat. I got several compliments from them. That was a huge ego boost for me. The freaked when I told them I built it myself. More ego boost. This was of course several hours before my rudder exploded. Big ego killer.

It is certainly neat that you can actually do some sailing while finishing up or adjusting various parts of the boat. It beats the heck out of putting in a lot of tedious work, getting it all finished and pretty and then putting it in the water to find that you don't like the way it performs. Been there, done that and I also know a couple of well known small boat and canoe companies who have had a few similar experiences. By that time, most of them already had the advertising in play, so they just kept their mouths shut and resumed with the boat's production.

... so they just kept their mouths shut and resumed with the boat's production.
    Aint that how we do manufacturing in America? I was a manufacturing / electro-mechanical design engineer for 12 years before I came back in the Army in 2010. Stuff like that really stuck in my craw, and was a major factor in my decision to come back in the Army. Not that the military is perfect, we have our problems too. But most everyone in the military / Army have a has a sense of pride and honor that I just didn't find in the dog-eat-dog commercial world.

And yeah, I am definitely fortunate and thankful that I live 30 min from one of the largest man made lakes in the US. I think it is the 17th largest in the US, according to wikipedia anyway.

Which brings up another question I have been wanting to ask some of you guys that sail on the sea, how different is it from a large lake? I feel like when I have been to the beach to fish that the waves, while much larger in height and period, are not as choppy or short and repetitive as they are on Strom Thurmond lake. Seems to me a boat would ride up and down the waves at sea, as opposed to being just slammed by them every 1/2 second or so. Do you think it seems this way to me because there is so much powerboat traffic on the lake?

And the weather conditions on the lake change really fast. Yesterday was a very good day most of the day. But about 4:30 - 5:00 it was almost dead calm, and then all of a sudden here comes a strong steady 7 to 10 knot wind out of the north west. That is when I hitting almost 7 knots in my boat. Not very fast I guess, but it felt like I was doing 40mph. By the time I got everything loaded up on the trailer to leave, there were white caps and about 3 foot choppy repetitive waves on the main channel.

So is my lake a good training ground for the sea? Cause I fully intend to get on the ocean and do some coastal barrier island hopping!

Day before yesterday I filled the mast end of the boom with epoxy. After it cured, I drilled a 9/16" hole deep enough for the goose neck, and then tapped a 1/2" copper pipe into it. I figured the copper pipe would give me a good bearing/wear surface for the boom. I didn't do this before I went sailing last Saturday, I was still wanting to test out the boom before I made things permanent. I will post a picture later. So now the goose neck connection is nice and snug, and won't be slopping around.

I am going to start on the new rudder now. Do you guys think SPF lumber at lowes or home depot will be good enough? Well, actually, lumber is so expensive, I might as well spring for some oak unless y'all think it is unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    It would be better to use a strong wood for the strips, not cedar.
    Well, according to this guy; https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php...-centerboards/ , cedar is ok for boats less than 25 feet. Way better than plywood according to him. I think I will give it a try. I have probably 1000 board feet of western red cedar, some of it 2 inches thick and nice straight grain with no knots. Especially the way lumber prices are these days, I am going to give it a whirl. If it breaks, lesson learned and all I have lost is fiberglass, epoxy, and time. It certainly wouldn't be the first time it has broke on me. I am gettin' pretty good at self-recovery!

Also, after reading that guy's article, I had the freaking plywood ribs situated inside the rudder in the most weak position. Add that with the fact that there was some water damage inside the thing, and I had a recipe for a disaster. I am also going to go ahead and make a new leeboard. Since it had a water invasion, I am getting worried that its days are numbered too.

But I do think I have the shape right. They slide through the water without hardly any cavitation or difficulties that I could see. The rudder was always easy to turn and the boat was very responsive to it. That is definitely a win. I just need to shape the new rudder and leeboard the same as the others.

If you (or anyone else on here) still think I am very very wrong to use thick cedar laminations, post back let me know what you think.

with enough glass, the wood becomes just a core, you could use rice packing peanuts if you had enough glass the outside :P

If concerned you could lay a couple layers of unidirectional glass along the outside of where the spar is or would be before covering the entire thing in glass, a build up of glass oriented lenthwise there should add a lot of strength.

Consider an I beam. The strength is not in the web, the web just needs to be large enough to prevent twisting and to keep the top and bottom apart from each other, the resistance to compression and stretching on those oposite faces is what gives it its strength, a thicker layer of glass with strands oriented length wise outside the spar work the same way and make your part into a strong beam that resists bending from one end to the other.
    Last edited by narfiwillem; 07-14-2021 at 09:13 AM.

So how much is enough glass?
    Everybody says this and no one has an answer to how much.
    Your statement that you could use packing peanuts is absolutely wrong.
    The core has to take the shear caused by bending the board.
    Like an I beam, you couldn't use packing peanuts because they would collapse, moving the flanges toward each other until the "beam" failed.
    Same issue with styrofoam as a core.
    Of course with enough glass it would work, but it would take a lot. Heavy and expensive.

If an article in Epoxyworks says cedar is OK I would follow that guidance. Gougeon Brothers are well know for being technically accurate.

Your statement that you could use packing peanuts is absolutely wrong.
    Oh?

I list an extreme example where all the strength is in the glass and none in the core, you can go the other extreme where all the strength is in the core (likely wood) and zero glass(skin) is used.
    To use your termonology both examples are absolutely possible to build with the required strength.

I said rice packing peanuts because it is obvious they hold no stregth or any properties desired for a project like this. You could design a hollow rudder that is just glass or carbon and epoxy, so if that is possible, then you could fill the voids with packing peanuts and it would still be just as strong.

All of this is of course with the assumption that you use a spar of compatable materials (wood or glass). I had thought Lee used 2 spars on his foil, but looking back at the pictures now I see it was just dowels for aligning the ribs.

Please do assume that all appropriate smiley emojies etc.... are there to make this a friendly discussion not an internet fight, I am here to learn as much as anyone and enjoy a good discussion/debate but have to restrain myself sometimes when told I am wrong, when I know very well I am not

Lee, when designing your new board, whatever materials you use, if it is a hollow rudder, consider using a stout spar, or perhaps two, which will then create your 'I' beam as I had thought you had originaly.
    Sorry if that is confusing.

A high tech example would be something like this,

Gougeon Brothers are well know for being technically accurate.
    Yep, and thats why I designed my kayak with a lot of volume up front. I read their book about boat building, or one of them anyways. And they were talking about how the bow shape doesn't really matter to the extent that I thought it did, but you need a lot of volume up front to make the hull pop up out of the waves. They were talking about amas on a catamaran.

Oh and I get the I beam analogy Narfi. But I don't want to do another hollow rudder mostly because I don't want to take another chance on water invasion. I actually had two 3/8" oak dowels inside my rudder that broke, and they were sunk into the rudder pivot head about 2 inches. It broke and snapped off just under the pivot head. I think the root cause of failure was weakening due to water damage on the inside. I was examining the pivot head and the dowels and the plywood rib attached to the pivot head were all blackened from rot.

I am going to try to get started on a new rudder this weekend. I have to clean up the garage first. I haven't cleaned up the mess from making the boom yet. Wood shavings all over the floor mixed with epoxy drips. But, the boom is a huge success in my book. I still need to upload my gps data and compare speeds to the weather data!

I'll post pics once I start on the new rudder. Till then, you guys can continue the strength of peanuts debate!!

OK Everybody! You are not going to believe this. CAll me crazy if you want to. You can say I fudged the numbers if you want, but this is what my gps says compared to the weather data recorded by the Strom Thurmond dam weather station:
    At 1800 GMT these were the numbers:
    Windspeed=3.355mph Boat Speed=3mph Boat heading:149 Wind Heading: 190 Bearing to wind: 41

That is sailing downwind!!! That makes my efficiency 96% downwind, When I was going upwind later that day I was getting 98%!!!.

Last Saturday was such a great day until my rudder broke. I could pretty much just point the boat in any direction I wanted to go, let the sheet out until I maxed the speed, and I was still never going less than 3 miles an hour. Most of the time I was hitting 4 to 5 mph, and right before the rudder broke my last recorded speed on the gps was 7 mph. The boom is a big win!!!

I gotta get my rudder fixed and try again. These numbers just seem too good to be true.

Here are a few more pics of my boom and the blank I made tonight for my new rudder. At first I didn't like the fiberglass showing through the epoxy, but now I think it looks kind of cool and techno-strong. It looks very nice and shiny-finished looking with the varnish on it.
    I am making the rudder out of 1" wide cedar strips, cut to a thickness of anywhere from 3/4" to 1". I mixed some epoxy with about 50/50 silica and woodflour. I freaking hate working with silica, but it is way smoother than woodflour.

Boom mast end with epoxy and copper tube to mate with gooseneck:
    20210716_225303.jpg

Here is the pad eye on the sheet end of the boom. I run the outhaul through this to a cleat. Also snap-ring the sheet to this. I was afraid the #12 wood screws would come out under load, but they held fast when I was going upwind at 7mph. If they work loose, this is close enough to the end where I could work a wrench into the hole and hold a nut to put a small bolt in there instead.
    20210716_225154.jpg

Here is the cleat I am using
    20210716_225132.jpg

And finally, here is the blank I made for the new rudder:
    20210716_225044.jpg

Last Night I formed and shaped the rudder. This morning I laid up some 6oz biax. I used 1 layer on the trailing edge, and overlapped two more layers on the leading edge. So the chord of the foil has 3 layers of 6oz biaxial woven glass. May be over kill for a 18 foot trimaran, but I'm NOT taking any more chances with my rudder systems after two catastrophic failures while underway. I will post better pictures later, but this is what it looks like with my horrible phone camera.

Before glassing just after shaping:
    20210717_220312.jpg

After glass and epoxy:
    20210718_094807.jpg
    20210718_094757.jpg

This afternoon I trimmed up the hairy edges a bit and added a second coat of epoxy, and a layer of 4 oz woven fiberglass to the lower tip. Maybe one more coat of epoxy and I coat of varnish, and I will be ready to get back out on the water. As easy as this was to make out of 1" thick strips, I am definitely going to make a new lee board with this same method. But, I can continue to sail with the one I have until it breaks, if it breaks. I think it will take more force than the rudder did. The leeboard has a 1/2" thick x 4" wide spar running down the middle of the ribs. I don't know how long it will take for the rot to get to it, but it still feels pretty solid for now.

Here's the pics from this afternoon:
    20210718_163852.jpg20210718_163905.jpg

Ok, rudder finally finished. I have been working a lot lately, sorry for no updates. I like this method of construction a lot. I am going to make a leeboard soon using the same method. I just made several cuts with the tablesaw at varying depths to shape the foil, and the beltsanded down to the blade depths. Worked great, and was easy to do. Let me know what you guys think:

Profile view of the foil:
    20210719_183053.jpg

Final varnish:
    20210719_183125.jpg

I shortened the tiller arm this time to give me faster response, and also improved the angle to the tiller:
    20210723_211149.jpg

starboard side view:
    20210723_211203.jpg

All Assembled:
    20210723_211132.jpg

Looks nice!

ulua.jpg
    That looks amazing Todd....

What does that have to do with this boat?
    Why don't you start another thread?

What does that have to do with this boat?
    Why don't you start another thread?
    Newbie needs help with small DIY sail plan, trimaran setup.

Why don`t you restrict your comments to something constructive ?

So this is what I am going to do for the leeboard. I am going to cut strips 1.5" wide from my cedar stock which is anywhere from 0.75" to 1.5" thick. Then glue them together to make a 16.5"~17" wide, 48" long, 1.5" thick board. I may have to scarf some of the knots out, but that's ok, I have plenty of cedar. Then I am going to cut slits in both sides to the depth shown on my drawings below. Then use the belt sander with a 30 grit belt to shape and smooth, then go to my orbital sander progressively down to 80 or 100 grit. I am also thinking about running a strip of pine or oak down the center of the chord on the outside for reinforcement.

Since this leeboard is kind of big, I don't really want to use that much of my epoxy on it(epoxy is 'spensive). Ya'll think I could get away with Titebond II or Titebond III to glue the strips together and then of course epoxy and fiberglass the smoothed surface?

leeboardFoil1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee.007; 07-31-2021 at 09:50 PM.

Titebond 2 will work fine.
    Standard method for strip planked kayaks.

Titebond 2 will work fine.
    Standard method for strip planked kayaks.
    Thats the philosophy behind what I was thinking. I was only considering epoxy because that's what was recommended on the website where I got the information for making a laminated rudder and leeboard. It should be ok as long as I seal it up good with epoxy on the outside, right?

On second thought, I've got some titebond III just sitting in the cabinet. It is supposed to be "waterproof" glue, but I have read some posts where people say it doesn't live up to the hype. As long as it holds as good as titebond II I guess I may as well use it. Any thoughts on its holding strength?