Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: So, I'm running a forum.

Default Re: So, I'm running a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    <Reply to Canoeyawl's insinuation that I am somehow profiting from "forgetting" Ian's past transgressions:>

Well, it is good that I do remember, 'then, cause I ain't gettin' any money for forgettin'...
    And I'm not in the boat selling business

I think analogies comparing this place to a playground are as demeaning as the op. Maybe that reveals something about why you fail to see what people object so strongly to, Michael.

Life is short, play with your cougar.

Well, thank you for thinking well of me. I still think that trying to run Ian off the playground is childish, though.
    Then call me a child. He's toxic and has run off more than a few people I enjoyed here.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Then call me a child. He's toxic and has run off more than a few people I enjoyed here.
    A lot of truth to that.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    If there's a Surreal-o-meter, this thread's tending to a 10.8, and there's a Sociology thesis a-brewing.

...Out of ten.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by Curtism View Post
    I think analogies comparing this place to a playground are as demeaning as the op. Maybe that reveals something about why you fail to see what people object so strongly to, Michael.
    Follow along, please: None of us come here to work; this is recreation. Recreation can be termed as 'play'. The area in which one plays is called a playground. Therefore, this virtual place where we assemble to recreate can be termed a 'playground'. No demeaning, just casual slang.

I see a lot in here that people object strongly to. Most of those dishing out the objectionable material fail to recognize that they are doing so, and vehemently deny doing so when called on it. But if casting aspersions on me about being deaf or daft or insensitive or whatever makes you feel better about someone calling out the immense quantity of rudeness that goes on in here and is euphemistically referred to as 'discussion' or "opinion", well, I can take it.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z
    Frankly, I'd rather have Ishmael back, though.
    Ditto.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    A lot of truth to that.
    Which part?

Running people off, especially women.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    Running people off, especially women.
    Yup. It's like he's afraid of strong women. Effing snowflake.

There are still plenty of unpleasant folks here willing to give you a caning. Take heart.
    My mind wanders terribly. My daydreaming as it is has been of immense use to me as regards to imaginative thought. I use it to take me to places others have yet to go and brings me back safely home.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Heh, I see, so "run Ian off the playground is childish" should not be taken to mean 'children on a children playground'!
    Only if the shoe fits...

I still have Bigfella on Ignore.

I'm not missing anything, am I?

The remarkable thing is that BF rambled on up in here and started another spitstorm (surprise!), and nobody seems to have noticed that mdh is banned.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I didn't slam the door - I was banned for something that I didn't regard in the slightest bit offensive.... but then, one of my best mates is stuck in North Carolina at the moment and wails to me every day about how he longs to be back here because of how bad it is in the USA. I can't print what he says about American women, much less what he says about Harley Davidsons.

I'd commented that the forum was dying - and that comment alone stimulated a significant debate and input from many. Some so insipid, so vitriolic and so despicable that the authors should have been, in my humble opinion, censured. However, that task is left to the omnipotent. I'm now looking at how to stimulate debate on "my" forum... rather than just getting "likes". It takes a lot of effort. In my case, I'm looking for where forums have an advantage over the insta-social crud. It's information - in searchable form. I'm looking to build data that those in my field want. Others are trying to monetise it... I'm trying to provide it as a service that benefits all. It's challenging.

As for the pub. We're re-inventing it. We haven't had any guests (well, two, for two nights in one room) in four months. We've got extra mouths to feed too.... Tum's soon to be 16 yo daughter is here now, and her 19 yo niece. The other daughter is expecting. All good fun. Our rental business is near dead. Our restaurant business is near dead. We're operating on savings... but at least we're operating. If 10% of restaurants targeting tourists survive this in this town, I'll be surprised. We're not folding our tent just yet. We're launching new products, chasing a diminishing market. We're not on our own in doing that.
    (bolds)

Door: Well you did delete a huge, longstanding, and well-liked thread. You started it but it was filled with 99% posts from other contributors. I think a better solution would have been to delete all YOUR posts on the thread if you desired, then left the thread up for others. That would have been generous and caring.

Forum dying: Are members down (deaths from COVID notwithstanding)? Is the rate of posting down?

Stimulate debate: Civil and reasoned discourse? Or hateful flaming? People open to be persuaded by good reasoning, or digging in their heels?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

This is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

The remarkable thing is that BF rambled on up in here and started another spitstorm (surprise!), and nobody seems to have noticed that mdh is banned.
    No spit! Didn't notice yet! I've noticed in the past month at least that Sky is more reserved and mdh seems to have taken his place in unwavering support of tRump, and hydroxychloroquine, still.

Uuuuug This crap again I'm just gonna sit back and watch as Ian implodes, calls us all names, then takes his ball and goes home again. Wash, rinse & repeat
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Yeah, you two don't do well in a room together. Resist, Joe; resist...

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

What'd he say?

something in here stinks. did a skunk walk through?
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

I just realized mdh amd mmd are different. (chuckle). Dyslexics untie!

Yeah, you two don't do well in a room together. Resist, Joe; resist...
    Michael it's really hard with opening salvos like this:

I didn't slam the door - I was banned for something that I didn't regard in the slightest bit offensive.... but then, one of my best mates is stuck in North Carolina at the moment and wails to me every day about how he longs to be back here because of how bad it is in the USA. I can't print what he says about American women, much less what he says about Harley Davidsons.
    So as usual he takes no responsibility for his actions and is arrogant as ever.

I'd commented that the forum was dying - and that comment alone stimulated a significant debate and input from many. Some so insipid, so vitriolic and so despicable that the authors should have been, in my humble opinion, censured. However, that task is left to the omnipotent. I'm now looking at how to stimulate debate on "my" forum... rather than just getting "likes". It takes a lot of effort. In my case, I'm looking for where forums have an advantage over the insta-social crud. It's information - in searchable form. I'm looking to build data that those in my field want. Others are trying to monetise it... I'm trying to provide it as a service that benefits all. It's challenging.
    Again no responsibility and it's always EVERYONE else’s fault. Oh and yea Ian is the best at what he does and his forum is so much better ( yet he still needs to come here )

As for the pub. We're re-inventing it. We haven't had any guests (well, two, for two nights in one room) in four months. We've got extra mouths to feed too.... Tum's soon to be 16 yo daughter is here now, and her 19 yo niece. The other daughter is expecting. All good fun. Our rental business is near dead. Our restaurant business is near dead. We're operating on savings... but at least we're operating. If 10% of restaurants targeting tourists survive this in this town, I'll be surprised. We're not folding our tent just yet. We're launching new products, chasing a diminishing market. We're not on our own in doing that.
    I know I'm no where as business savvy as you, since you used to tell me this all the time , but we've been increasing 60% month over month and about to have our best month ever. We just signed contracts to franchise nationally, I just came home from a meeting with our first franchise candidate working the onboarding process. Hey but best of luck in all your endeavors.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 07-27-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Success is the best revenge Joe. While the Big Smella languishes in a failing pub keeping the company of young women who really can't stand his company but hope against all hopes that he will help bring them success and then die.

Quote Originally Posted by JTA View Post
    something in here stinks. did a skunk walk through?
    http://+ Reply to ThreadPage 3 of 3F...op Quick Reply

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    This is fun.
    Itís a beer and potato salad kinda entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    i just realized mdh amd mmd are different. (chuckle). Dyslexics untie!
    *Spew!*

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Success is the best revenge Joe. While the Big Smella languishes in a failing pub keeping the company of young women who really can't stand his company but hope against all hopes that he will help bring them success and then die.
    *Double-Spew!* Yeah, can't blame him for the COVID decline, but the other stuff.. um... yeah.

A mea culpa or two on his part wouldn't hurt, and might help.

Mornin' all.

My my, a pissin' comp already?

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag
    ... nobody seems to have noticed that mdh is banned.
    It must have been a minor infraction since he did not lose even all of his posts made today. He'll be back before you know it.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    It must have been a minor infraction since he did not lose even all of his posts made today. He'll be back before you know it.
    My guess, and only a guess, is perhaps continuing to cite hydroxychloroquine as a COVID treatment (this time as an early prophylactic). I think some online forums are being more aggressive in taking down medical advice contrary to consensus of respected medical leaders. Again, only a guess.

Oh good, you’re up. I want to hear about the (other) monkey attacks!

Oh crap. I was hoping he'd slung his hook for good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella
    Mornin' all.
    On reflection it appears that you DID bid us all adieu earlier in the year. I take it Scot deleted that post. So why the change of heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    He needs a pissin' contest...
    When all you have is piss, everything looks like a pissing contest

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    He needs a pissin' contest...
    Nah, I know exactly how high I can pee. Never needed a comp for that, but I laugh a bit when I see those that need it just to survive.

There's something about running a bar that's fascinating. The human dynamics are amazing.