Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8171819 ... LastLast

Thread: So, I'm running a forum.

Default Re: So, I'm running a forum.

Structure. Now there's a topic. We've got one forumite obsessing over it on this thread. Multiple comments about it. Complaints that particular replies don't relate to the original post, etc, etc.

First up, let me say this - I don't want to attack the poster. I want to address the point he/she is making. (I have never seen the poster identify their sex, either with a selfie or by using their name, so I won't make an assumption that may later be proven wrong - if that poster wishes to identify as one or the other, I'm happy to use that identity/name).

No - that's not an attack - that's me attempting to improve the quality of the debate.

Why is structure so important in this case? It's not an essay being submitted for assessment against some arbitrary standard. It's not needed for search reasons (that's done on a key word basis). Why is only my structural heresy commented on - it's a forum and 50+ people have contributed to this thread? Many with structural issues related to their posts.

Many posters have said that they come to this thread looking for things not outlined in the original premise. Ergo, it would appear that they are not seeking structural perfection.

Oh, sorry... I've lost my train of thought. I'll structure something and come back later.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    If you want to discuss broken records, go look at what you and others did to the OzPol thread. BTW, it's halfway down page 4 of the Bilge at the moment.
    No I'm not wanting to discuss broken records. I will burst your previous little thought bubble though.
    I won't speak for others but I'm not bound so damn tight nor am I in any danger of exploding, although since you mention it,
    ( maybe as a projection) I suppose it would be in some ways advantageous to you if I did.

I am quite free to come and go from this discussion and others as I please, and you can post pics and comments as you please. I don't give a rats. If and when I want to comment i will. It's no indication of pent up anger and rage. Rather an attempt to clarify my perspective and therefore be understood. I have said what i have sait not to be spiteful of revengefull but to clarify my position on the matters discussed.
    Discussion seems not to be your forte.

BTW, go look at what you did to the "Real OzPol thread".......oh that's unfortunate you can't because you totally destroyed it! Ha Ha!
    And page 4? Is there some status we are not attaining according to your measure? Too bad, as again, I couldn't give a rats.
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-06-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    If you want to refer to the personal trait of caring about the community, then it is only fair to include in the analysis the Big Fellas modus operandi with respect to online communication.
    When I first posted on this forum he attacked me without provocation. He had a go at me for my poor spelling ( instead of responding to the content of my argument ) He insinuated i was of lesser intelligence. I pointed out i am dyslexic. All now deleted.
    When I stood up for myself and attempted to debate with reason and the continuity of a linear discussion without me returning in ad hominem fashion, his constant response was to avoid a consistent and thought out decent debate. His deferral to the many devises of bluster and insult was exposed in most of the attempts made by me to pursue a reasonable line of communication. In a very subtle manner he continued to be quite nasty in retort. It seemed that this was his way of dealing with me for having a different perspective on the subject being discussed. He never bothered to pursue civil debate.

In the first instance I always try to maintain a friendly relationship with those i disagree with but if i'm constantly attacked and especially in the manner that the other attempts to use me as a stepping stone to the elevation of their own ego I will fight back.
    To my mind in these matters of online discourse, the Big Fella is disingenuous to an extreme i have rarely encountered personally.
    Where there's smoke there's fire.
    It's little wonder he got the reception he has upon his return to this lovely smelly rat plagued bilge.

If he wanted to leave the past behind, some gesture would be helpful in this regard.

Sheesh - some of you guys are bound so damn tight. Careful. Please don't explode.
    So Ian, at the very least, you seem to be dismissive of other's concerns. A lot of offenses in society, particularly in the USA, have bubbled to the surface in that regard:

"Oh, you girls in the office are so wound up about nothing. What are you so upset about? Lighten up."

"The police are not inherently racist or hostile. That guy must have been doing something wrong."

"What do you mean, I'm breaking the law? I MAKE the law."

See what I mean? Don't dismiss. Address people's concerns with you directly.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Wow. This is some seriously whack-a-doodle crap going down in here. Can we say, "piling-on"?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    So Ian, at the very least, you seem to be dismissive of other's concerns. A lot of offenses in society, particularly in the USA, have bubbled to the surface in that regard:

"Oh, you girls in the office are so wound up about nothing. What are you so upset about? Lighten up."

"The police are not inherently racist or hostile. That guy must have been doing something wrong."

"What do you mean, I'm breaking the law? I MAKE the law."

See what I mean? Don't dismiss. Address people's concerns with you directly.

I'm sorry Bob - I don't understand. Those quotes - are they supposed to be mine?

They aren't.

As for being dismissive of other's concerns. No - if "others" make what I regard as a valid point, I'm not dismissive of it.

What's wrong with being dismissive of invalid points? Surely you wouldn't give invalid points any credit, would you? You'd point out that they are invalid (ie be dismissive of them)

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Wow. This is some seriously whack-a-doodle crap going down in here. Can we say, "piling-on"?
    Indeed. Some very tightly bound individuals. Not all of them.

It had potential but it's gone down the toilet. And now blooee has shown up- the nugget that won't flush- so I'm out. JayInOz

No I'm not wanting to discuss broken records. I will burst your previous little thought bubble though.
    I won't speak for others but I'm not bound so damn tight nor am I in any danger of exploding, although since you mention it,
    ( maybe as a projection) I suppose it would be in some ways advantageous to you if I did.

I am quite free to come and go from this discussion and others as I please, and you can post pics and comments as you please. I don't give a rats. If and when I want to comment i will. It's no indication of pent up anger and rage. Rather an attempt to clarify my perspective and therefore be understood. I have said what i have sait not to be spiteful of revengefull but to clarify my position on the matters discussed.
    Discussion seems not to be your forte.

BTW, go look at what you did to the "Real OzPol thread".......oh that's unfortunate you can't because you totally destroyed it! Ha Ha!
    And page 4? Is there some status we are not attaining according to your measure? Too bad, as again, I couldn't give a rats.
    I'm struggling.... your point? Oh, you need to vent? Go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    It had potential but it's gone down the toilet. And now blooee has shown up- the nugget that won't flush- so I'm out. JayInOz
    Give it time. It'll come back on track. For some it's alcohol. Others have some repression issues. Others obviously didn't get enough air time, or make their point stick in some long lost debate.... Others... who knows, but, boy, they sure seem to want to find a target for their issues.

I was going to get around to some local issues... but this little bubble needs to play out first.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Indeed Mike - I was being unkind to kindergartens earlier

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    who's/what’s a "blooee" Jay??
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Indeed Mike - I was being unkind to kindergartens earlier

who's/what’s a "blooee" Jay??
    Just in case Jay has indeed left the room.... this is "blooee" - aka Sky Blue. SB / Sky Blue / blooee - like me - gets a bad rap from some, but I've found some really good thoughtful contributions from him. Nothing wrong with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    I'm glad you reposted that Hallam. The "nutter quotient" line, so upsetting to several here, was for me the funniest part of it.

People make a mistake in assuming that everyone else joins them in their feelings about a Member's content.

Did you ever consider that some of the things that Ian writes that is so upsetting to some, strikes other people differently?

That some of us tune into Ian's posts for precisely the same content that others take issue with?

That each of us may not experience it in the same way or have the same emotional reaction to it?

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    More ad hom. Without naming names. To avoid getting banned.

Give it a rest. Start a new thread of photos. Post some photos on it.
    Might I ask a question? Didn't you have some nice photo threads? What happened to them?

Blooey Jay

Thank you for posting that lovely watercolor. I watch the birds everyday.

The birds are my friends.
    They come to me and I see their color
    And hear their song
    And know that I am not alone.

Deleted. One by one. Just like yours.
    Nope. Mine were all deleted at once. Not by me.

This lens is about dead... but I still like the shot, even if it is a tad soft.

It doesn't work that way.
    I'm amazed at your inability to accept facts. Absolutely amazed. 50,000+ posts of mine across IIRC, thousands of threads, disappeared overnight, and you still vow and declare (without knowledge of the facts) that I deleted them one by one?

Let it go.
    'good advice that you could take yourself as well TD
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

[
    I don't know you. I am not familiar with your posts. Although, I recall a nice photo thread of fishing. I always try to match tone. Always.

If I am being obsessed, then is it not possible that you are stalking?

Do you really think that this is a thread of BF's photos, or him having fun brawling?
    If I matched tone with you, I'd be screaming.

Seriously, if there's something wrong in your life at the moment, reach out.

They really are an unusual bird, eh?

I'm amazed at your inability to accept facts. Absolutely amazed. 50,000+ posts of mine across IIRC, thousands of threads, disappeared overnight, and you still vow and declare (without knowledge of the facts) that I deleted them one by one?
    Yeah, toss an f- bomb at scot and that could happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Yeah, toss an f- bomb at scot and that could happen!
    Nah, I'm never rude to people who aren't rude to me.

I'm sorry Bob - I don't understand. Those quotes - are they supposed to be mine?

They aren't.

As for being dismissive of other's concerns. No - if "others" make what I regard as a valid point, I'm not dismissive of it.

What's wrong with being dismissive of invalid points? Surely you wouldn't give invalid points any credit, would you? You'd point out that they are invalid (ie be dismissive of them)
    Oh no, Ian, sorry if I miscommunicated. Those examples in quotes I cited, are common examples in the USA of people being dismissive of others' concerns, in particular on issues that are now coming to public prominence. Things that were dismissed in the past, and people were bullied down. But now, with social media, enough people speak up about something and there gets to be enough critical mass for others who have experienced the same abuse to speak up themselves. Again, just examples, not specific to you. But I had hoped from using those examples that it would encourage some self examination. We are all less likely to see something in ourselves, but more likely to recognized it if provided an analogy as applied to others, and then ask, does any of this apply to you? Again, not those specific issues cited, just dismissiveness when someone says that you are doing something wrong.

Just a couple days ago on another thread, I said something and someone called me on it with regard to accuracy. I checked online as best I could, and what I said happened was true in essence (and I quoted references), but I couldn't nail down perfectly who did what (a government issue), so I said that I wasn't certain about that, and if I was in error, I apologize. I was not dismissive of the person's criticism of me or my argument. Not only that, but I am GLAD if someone validly corrects me, so I will know the truth and not repeat erroneous information going forward.

Nah, I'm never rude to people who aren't rude to me.
    BS on that one. You were clearly rude to me on my first posts without provocation on my behalf in the oz pol and real oz pol threads and i was not in any way rude to you. I never came across you on my first appearance here with my first thread about Adria the South Australian cray boat. I have a clear recollection of my first encounter with you as mentions recently. You failed to address the post other than the now familiar seemingly offhanded dismissal that is to my mind meant to negate the comment without addressing the content. Now you claim that you are never rude to people who arn't rude to you.
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-06-2020 at 10:00 PM.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I don't know you. I am not familiar with your posts. Although, I recall a nice photo thread of fishing. I always try to match tone. Always.

If I am being obsessed, then is it not possible that you are stalking?

Do you really think that this is a thread of BF's photos, or him having fun brawling?
    An iInteresting response to a sincere suggestion ...... One bonus of this train wreck thread is that I’ve learned a few new phrases on here over the past few days and that appears to be a tu quoque / ad hominem fusion.

And an observation: it’s pretty difficult to brawl alone - unless you’re Tylerdurden...
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

BS on that one. You were clearly rude to me on my first posts without provocation on my behalf in the oz pol and real oz pol threads and i was not in any way rude to you. I never came across you on my first appearance here with my first thread about Adria the South Australian cray boat. I have a clear recollection of my first encounter with you as mentions recently. You failed to address the post other than the now familiar seemingly offhanded dismissal that is to my mind meant to negate the comment without addressing the content. Now you claim that you are never rude to people who arn't rude to you.
    I absolutely refute that you came across me.

Come on Sky Blue respond to this or better still Bigfella?
    If you want to refer to the personal trait of caring about the community, then it is only fair to include in the analysis the Big Fellas modus operandi with respect to online communication.
    When I first posted on this forum he attacked me without provocation. He had a go at me for my poor spelling ( instead of responding to the content of my argument ) He insinuated i was of lesser intelligence. I pointed out i am dyslexic. All now deleted.
    When I stood up for myself and attempted to debate with reason and the continuity of a linear discussion without me returning in ad hominem fashion, his constant response was to avoid a consistent and thought out decent debate. His deferral to the many devises of bluster and insult was exposed in most of the attempts made by me to pursue a reasonable line of communication. In a very subtle manner he continued to be quite nasty in retort. It seemed that this was his way of dealing with me for having a different perspective on the subject being discussed. He never bothered to pursue civil debate.

In the first instance I always try to maintain a friendly relationship with those i disagree with but if i'm constantly attacked and especially in the manner that the other attempts to use me as a stepping stone to the elevation of their own ego I will fight back.
    To my mind in these matters of online discourse, the Big Fella is disingenuous to an extreme i have rarely encountered personally.
    Where there's smoke there's fire.
    It's little wonder he got the reception he has upon his return to this lovely smelly rat plagued bilge.

If he wanted to leave the past behind, some gesture would be helpful in this regard.
    OK - I'll play. Since you insist, and keep insisting. Wazzup, did you never get taken to the circus as a kid?

You know very little of my "personal trait of caring for the community" - be it this virtual one, or the communities I live in... but you make wide-eyed (for want of a better word) assumptions about it and them. I was recently featured in the local media for the 600,000 baht (about $27,000 Oz) program I ran for the homeless and needy here. Search for it - you'll find it if you look. About half that was donated by others... I covered the rest - I haven't put that up here because the usual slime merchants will just yabber on about tax rorts or the like (as they've done in the past). It won't go on my tax returns - as has none of what I've done since I left Oz. I'm a self-supported expat who hasn't put his hand out for gubby welfare except for 3 weeks in the early 1970's. You won't find any record of the motorbike I gave to a forumite, or the other motorbike / parts I donated to Downs Syndrome charities, or the EPIRB donated to a forumite for a coastal passage, or the gaff jaws, or the tools, or the......... (its a long list). You know nothing of how many single mothers I employ, or how many of their offspring I help support or the school building programs I'm involved with,. You know nothing of any of it, but you want to slag me off for whatever ails you and demean my community spirit. Sorry pal, you and your very different view of the world don't rate highly on my care-o-meter.

So, you're dyslexic. Get a speeeling chaeker. Oh, look at that... red lines under words. Or, don't you care about the community enough to bother - after all, you're more important, eh?

Pfft. You aren't worth the electrons.

Back to the real world. Is there anyone here who has made their own masa harina?

Specifically, nixtamalization and the grinding of the nixtamal?

My wet grinder has winged its way from China to Korea and is finally in Thailand. I want to get this happening.

Or, should I start a new train wreck?

OK - I'll play. Since you insist, and keep insisting. Wazzup, did you never get taken to the circus as a kid?

You know very little of my "personal trait of caring for the community" - be it this virtual one, or the communities I live in... but you make wide-eyed (for want of a better word) assumptions about it and them. I was recently featured in the local media for the 600,000 baht (about $27,000 Oz) program I ran for the homeless and needy here. Search for it - you'll find it if you look. About half that was donated by others... I covered the rest - I haven't put that up here because the usual slime merchants will just yabber on about tax rorts or the like (as they've done in the past). It won't go on my tax returns - as has none of what I've done since I left Oz. I'm a self-supported expat who hasn't put his hand out for gubby welfare except for 3 weeks in the early 1970's. You won't find any record of the motorbike I gave to a forumite, or the other motorbike / parts I donated to Downs Syndrome charities, or the EPIRB donated to a forumite for a coastal passage, or the gaff jaws, or the tools, or the......... (its a long list). You know nothing of how many single mothers I employ, or how many of their offspring I help support or the school building programs I'm involved with,. You know nothing of any of it, but you want to slag me off for whatever ails you and demean my community spirit. Sorry pal, you and your very different view of the world don't rate highly on my care-o-meter.

So, you're dyslexic. Get a speeeling chaeker. Oh, look at that... red lines under words. Or, don't you care about the community enough to bother - after all, you're more important, eh?

Ok Ian, Let's look at this dispassionately.
    Thank you for making the effort to reply. I will be the first to sincerely applaud you for your generosity you have outlined in your reply, and I accept that you posted this information not looking for a pat on the back but that you wish demonstrate that you do involve yourself in generously supporting others as you have outlined.

Secondly I wish to draw your attention to the first sentence of my post:

[ If you want to refer to the personal trait of caring about the community, then it is only fair to include in the analysis the Big Fellas modus operandi with respect to online communication.]

Is it not clear that the context of my comment is that of online communication? It is this online forum as a community that I am addressing in my comments. Do you see my comment does not imply any criticism of your dealings outside this forum.
    I have not in this thread, claimed that you are a mean spirited with respect to life outside this forum. You seem angry at me for what? Obviously for analysing your online contributions here in the manner that I have.

Thirdly it needs to be said that these final comments of yours are unfortunate and entirely unnecessary:

[Sorry pal, you and your very different view of the world don't rate highly on my care-o-meter.

]

What is the relevance of me not knowing of your generosity elsewhere?

Why am I not worth the effort?.... when it is you who have a problem with communication and clear thinking as you have just so clearly demonstrated.

Oh but your so clever and influential, yes? and well connected? and I'm sooo well....not like you.....i suppose.

Sorry, your reply does not address my comments you quoted at all. Again I appeal to critical thinking. How about actually addressing your online communication and the issue i have with it as I have outlined instead of conflating my post with what you do way over there and elswhere.....
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-07-2020 at 12:06 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

Yes, yes... I get all that, but I got sidetracked by work. Funny thing, work.

Re online communications. Well... take from them what you will.

I was a co-owner of a tortilla factory on the east side of town for a while years ago. Learned a little. Stinky. Should be fun on small scale.

Made lots of masa but never a need dry it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I was a co-owner of a tortilla factory on the east side of town for a while years ago. Learned a little. Stinky. Should be fun on small scale.

Made lots of masa but never a need dry it.
    I suspect that we'll be able to produce a lot more than we can use... so we'll wholesale that. But... let's see first. Unfortunately my technical adviser here is headed back to the Santa Cruz mountains in 11 days... so we need to work fast to get things happening - and given he's out of town for the next week already.....

There's no shortage of corn around here. It's just going to be a process development thing for the cooks.

Hallam, #658, perfectly said. I was essentially going to say similar; "Great stuff over there. Don't change the subject."