Page 1 of 20 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: So, I'm running a forum.

Default So, I'm running a forum.

Yeah, forums are dying. Facebook is stomping all over forums.

I've been a contributor to various other forums over the years - some friendlier than others. A couple of months back, whilst I was in band camp, I was contacted and asked to take over a forum.

I won't name it - it's not in the boating field - but there's some interesting parallels.

It's been a LOT of work. We had to migrate it to a server that I control. Rented... but it's the same either way. We had lots of licencing issues, lots of updates to do, so that things would work. We use different software - although it had used the same as WBF before migrating to Xenforo a couple of years back. There's a spend associated with it all too, of course.

There's a daily grind weeding out the spammers - although they aren't that hard to identify. There's also a linked Facebook page... a bit different than here, because I administer the linked page, whereas the similarly named one on FB to this page isn't linked, as such - as I understand it.

Funnily enough, the forum has nowhere near the nutter quotient of this one. I've not had to wield the ban hammer once, not had to moderate a single post, nor intervene in any disputes. We point out that the forum isn't moderated, but that if people engage in personal disputes, we'll move the offending post to the dungeon... which is only viewable to registered users. I don't think we have a single banned member. It's not as if we're tiny... I believe we're hosting 145,000 images. No idea on thread count, etc... just not interested in that.

So... on that point - shouldn't The Bilge just be for the crud? Shouldn't everything else fit into another box more appropriate to reasonable discussion? Shouldn't The Bilge be replaced by General Discussion and maybe even Political Discourse?

Default Re: So, I'm running a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    So... on that point - shouldn't The Bilge just be for the crud? Shouldn't everything else fit into another box more appropriate to reasonable discussion? Shouldn't The Bilge be replaced by General Discussion and maybe even Political Discourse?
    That is a judgment that is the province of Scot. As the manager of a different forum, you can do what you want.... over there.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I won't say where political discussions should rate in the hierarchy of fori, but there should be a WB Political Forum. The Bilge becomes all blocked up with it, and it clogs the pumps.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Jeez Ian, are you really soliciting feedback after storming out the door in such a grand and vitriolic manner condemning the Bilge as you slammed the door behind you?

The Bilge is the Bilge, that’s where crud goes. More importantly how’s your pub, are you aging gracefully, winning friends and otherwise enjoying life in a pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I thought the nutters had left the building
    There’s nutters and there’s folks who really lose their social filters big time.

Hey Bigfella! Miss you on this old dead log.

It wouldn't be Christian Singles would it?

Play the opening like a book, the middle game like a magician, and the endgame like a machine. – Rudolph Spielmann

You are known by the company you keep...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I’m hanging with 9 mo old girl regularly, keep it simple, think two steps ahead, nap often as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Hey Bigfella! Miss you on this old dead log.

It wouldn't be Christian Singles would it?

Ha ha. Funnily enough, I spent this evening having several quiet ales with a couple of American customers. I couldn't quite keep up with the pace of the discussion, but one was describing his/her dormant womb and various intersex issues that were only diagnosed a few years ago. I doubt s/he's interested in that topic, but s/he was asking for advice in other areas.

I seem to recall that you bid adieu to the Bilge permanently early this year.

Your profile does does not display that post among your most recent, so I presume you have deleted it?
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Jeez Ian, are you really soliciting feedback after storming out the door in such a grand and vitriolic manner condemning the Bilge as you slammed the door behind you?

The Bilge is the Bilge, that’s where crud goes. More importantly how’s your pub, are you aging gracefully, winning friends and otherwise enjoying life in a pandemic?
    I didn't slam the door - I was banned for something that I didn't regard in the slightest bit offensive.... but then, one of my best mates is stuck in North Carolina at the moment and wails to me every day about how he longs to be back here because of how bad it is in the USA. I can't print what he says about American women, much less what he says about Harley Davidsons.

I'd commented that the forum was dying - and that comment alone stimulated a significant debate and input from many. Some so insipid, so vitriolic and so despicable that the authors should have been, in my humble opinion, censured. However, that task is left to the omnipotent. I'm now looking at how to stimulate debate on "my" forum... rather than just getting "likes". It takes a lot of effort. In my case, I'm looking for where forums have an advantage over the insta-social crud. It's information - in searchable form. I'm looking to build data that those in my field want. Others are trying to monetise it... I'm trying to provide it as a service that benefits all. It's challenging.

As for the pub. We're re-inventing it. We haven't had any guests (well, two, for two nights in one room) in four months. We've got extra mouths to feed too.... Tum's soon to be 16 yo daughter is here now, and her 19 yo niece. The other daughter is expecting. All good fun. Our rental business is near dead. Our restaurant business is near dead. We're operating on savings... but at least we're operating. If 10% of restaurants targeting tourists survive this in this town, I'll be surprised. We're not folding our tent just yet. We're launching new products, chasing a diminishing market. We're not on our own in doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I seem to recall that you bid adieu to the Bilge permanently early this year.

Your profile does does not display that post among your most recent, so I presume you have deleted it?
    I didn't delete any such thing and your memory is not correct. Please reflect on that.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yes, I see you are keeping company, online at least, with some forumites that wish you to be better known for it.

Does anyone else remember the shift from four decks to five, with Misc separated into Misc Boat Related and Misc Non Boat Related. I think it then Mr. Cleek who mooted the name "The Bilge".

And there are always those who fancy they can shape the dialog to a more congenial course, at least for that person.

I favor the freedom we have now as it's perfectly easy to scroll past trolls and I need not join every quarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I thought the nutters had left the building
    Got any names?

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    That is a judgment that is the province of Scot. As the manager of a different forum, you can do what you want.... over there.
    I can do what I want here too, within the rules of the forum. Do you always acquiesce to authority without question? Do you never attempt to shape opinion? Oh, hang on, you post overwhelmingly political puff... wouldn't want that diminished in stature, would we?

"Funnily enough, the forum has nowhere near the nutter quotient of this one" Dude, you have not been out there...so many forums where the RightWing nuts are the vast majority...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Does anyone else remember the shift from four decks to five, with Misc separated into Misc Boat Related and Misc Non Boat Related. I think it then Mr. Cleek who mooted the name "The Bilge".

And there are always those who fancy they can shape the dialog to a more congenial course, at least for that person.

I favor the freedom we have now as it's perfectly easy to scroll past trolls and I need not join every quarrel.
    One of the reasons I'd largely withdrawn from the forum that I now own was that I thought it was attempting to overdo it with pigeon holes for various topics. Still do. However.... the suggestion I'd make here is that there's room for a genuine "General Discussion" forum. ie - one that isn't about boats. That's what currently goes into The Bilge. Really, what's needed is "The Saloon" ... or should that be "Salon"? The Bilge should be just that - a repository for the crud that gets pumped overboard.

Well hello. I’m glad you are back! Diversity is our strength and all that.

I’d agree that politics and religion need to be put in their own pit. Upstairs would benefit from a general discussion section.

Simply change “misc. boat related” to “misc. discussion.”

I’d be very interested to hear how Chiang Mai is doing with Covid and any drop in tourism.

There's a committed minority with a continuing interest in deep-sixing the bilge, or re-imagining the forums make up and function. Want a 'general discussion' upstairs? Post one. Don't like the politics in the Bilge? Stay out of the Bilge. Pretty simple.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Ian's business in Chang Mai has been hammered like the rest of us who rely on tourism dollars. I like that he is branching out to make other opportunities. Ian knows how to pivot. This was the year I was heading there to see his place and ride one of bikes. I wish him well and hopes he keeps it going because he has made a difference to a lot in his adopted home.
    Play the opening like a book, the middle game like a magician, and the endgame like a machine. – Rudolph Spielmann

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    There's a committed minority with a continuing interest in deep-sixing the bilge, or re-imagining the forums make up and function. Want a 'general discussion' upstairs? Post one. Don't like the politics in the Bilge? Stay out of the Bilge. Pretty simple.
    George, what gives you the right to presume that all people possess common sense?
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

The Bilge is just fine as it is.
    The fact that His Bigness dislikes it is proof enough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella
    I didn't delete any such thing and your memory is not correct. Please reflect on that.
    On reflection I was evidently mistaken. My apology.

On further reflection I displayed evidence for all to see that I am human and therefore prone to occasionally being mistaken. On additional reflection your reply was rather prickly and condescending, reminding me why I rarely engaged you in conversation in the past. Carry on.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Well hello. I’m glad you are back! Diversity is our strength and all that.

I’d agree that politics and religion need to be put in their own pit. Upstairs would benefit from a general discussion section.

Simply change “misc. boat related” to “misc. discussion.”

I’d be very interested to hear how Chiang Mai is doing with Covid and any drop in tourism.

Huuuuge drop in tourism. International tourism drove this place. We're seeing a little bit of domestic tourism now... but we don't attract the Thais to our business. Had some Americans and Germans from Bangkok in today, but we're running at about 10% of breakeven. We're working on that.

As for Covid - no community transmission for 60 days or so. Very few cases nationwide. We've got 70 million people here and only 3,300 or so cases in total - with 58 deaths. We had a huge number of Chinese tourists ahead of the shutdown, and we had the first case outside China in this country. However... apparently it hasn't hit here.

I may well have had it early in the year - had some issues, but not the cough. Who knows - I suspect we were ahead of most of the world? A friend, who was told he would have died if his family had waited another 2 hours to get him to hospital probably had it - in Feb, although they said at the time "Influenza A" and as far as I know he's never been tested. He's the fittest 60 year old I know. Never touched a drop of alcohol in his life... was going into renal failure and now has lung issues - needing CPAP etc. I suspect there's a level of immunity in the population. I've heard of a TED talk from 2004 or so that said a lot of people in Asia pick up viruses such as this every year. Must see if I can find it.

The question is - how to open the country up again. No-one has the answers.

Maybe the emperor will come back as well.

On reflection I was evidently mistaken. My apology.

On further reflection I displayed evidence for all to see that I am human and therefore prone to occasionally being mistaken. On additional reflection your reply was rather prickly and condescending, reminding me why I rarely engaged you in conversation in the past. Carry on.
    I shall. Not that your original comment was at all prickly or condescending, was it?

Nope. I was mistake is all. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    I thought that self promotion thing was a no no on here.
    I'm sorry - can you please point to what was being promoted?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG
    That is my memory as well. Should I reflect further?

That is my memory as well. Should I reflect further?
    Go ahead. Being wrong was never a crime around here.

Oh, for God's sake, children! Stop being petty. If you can't say something nice, STFU. If Ian is as nasty as you think, he will implode all on his own without your needling. I'm betting that he won't, and hopefully he'll get back to posting pretty pictures of a far-off and exotic place that I will never get to see in what remains of my lifetime.

Jeeze, what a bunch of...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Hey, can someone remind me to post up about the dog rescue we did here last month?

American chap. Despicable character... once blasted by Oprah. Running a puppy mill. We heard things weren't right... went out unannounced and found 60 dogs - half in small cages with no food or water. Some dying. Some dead. We watered them, but had to leave when he accused my right-hand man of killing his "best dog" (it'd died some time before)... and raised a metal bar over my head.

I'd post photos.... and video of the rescue operation (for which he's launching legal action for the "theft" of the dogs).... but I'd get banned. He's on the video, wandering around, dragging a stiff, dead dog, with his nutsack hanging out the bottom of his undies. The dogs were in a shocking state.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Oh, for God's sake, children! Stop being petty. If you can't say something nice, STFU. If Ian is as nasty as you think, he will implode all on his own without your needling. I'm betting that he won't, and hopefully he'll get back to posting pretty pictures of a far-off and exotic place that I will never get to see in what remains of my lifetime.

Jeeze, what a bunch of...
    Some of these folks need a mirror.

OK... I'll bow out now. Sheesh 1.11am

Huzzah! Breath of fresh air to see you back, or is it just a visit? Sorry to hear how things are down there, as you know, its a global hit. Missed the bike stuff. Stick around this time.