Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Moon, an unusual 16ft Sailing boat..

Default Re: Blue Moon, an unusual 16ft Sailing boat..

Quote Originally Posted by andrelvas View Post
    Took a look at this boat, it looks amazing! The keel was made of what? Did you build yours? Its really very similar to Sztrandek, and to be sincere, i would rather Lysanders desing! lol!

Best regards
    The Standard Keels are welded Steel plate, just a T shape, though a curved top to the keel to match the hull, mine had additional steel plates bolted to the sides to increase their ballast. People have had fin keels and drop keels designed for the Lysander, but they are really meant as a bilge keel boat.

Sadly I didn't build mine, as at the time I bought her, I was living in the Outer Hebridies, in Military accommodation. No facilities available, and the transport costs for materials to the Hebridies are expensive.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Not much directly done to the boat this weekend, just a light rub down of the stern varnish, then the first coat of varnish over stern that's on top of the the name and numbers..

The rest of that drizzly day was spent in the garage, some existing shelves were extended to make them wider by about 9 inches, they were then loaded up with the detritus from the work bench, which is now clear except for the keel. So next week , I can bond the ballast weight to the wooden stub keel.

Other work in the garage included two more shelves fitted, one is above the workbench window, so I can't reach it if the bench is in full use. That shelf is not fully complete yet as there is a keel in the way..

The other shelf is just to the right of the window, its a perfect fit for SWMBO's old ghetto Blaster, yes it's that old and has been gifted to me in the work shop as she has something much smaller and involves digital. Now tuned generally to something classical, the blaster can take CD's or cassettes.

Mooring All...
    No work on the boat done this weekend, life got in the way..

What should have been in the way, is the Tri Icicle race, which is 20 mile ish round trip of three legs on the Norfolk broads. Anything can enter from little Dinghies to 45ft broads cruisers.. Only the second time I've missed it in 20 years.

My normal sailing compatriot was in a motorcycle crash 14 months ago, and only about a month ago had some Meccano changed in his thigh so he's still barely mobile..

Looks to have been a good race, and there are 4 Yeoman class in the top 10 including the winner, 2 of the Yeoman whom we normally beat, so we missed out there.. Numbers were a bit down this year probably due to covid..
    Pictures of facebook here.. https://www.facebook.com/SnowflakesS...39313466221777
    Results below for those who don't go on facefart.

Oh I don't know if you ever had Meccano in the USA.. it was a children to teenagers assembly kit, including hole punched metal strips rods, wheels and hundreds on nuts and bolts.. you could built all sorts of things out of it..
    image.png.60e14793998dd5413d14904293126482.jpg

Its your special day, Saturday, huh?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Its your special day, Saturday, huh?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Actually it was Sunday, But it is the clubs Big open event of every year.

This Year next Sunday we have the Yeoman class Nationals. They rotate that event they rotate through several clubs, But as far as I know it's the first time at Snowflakes, I've sailed the Winning boat of the Tri Icicle with a previous owner and we did well in it,
    The current owner bought it and brought it to the club without knowing it had been based here before..

After the nationals the club will settle down to its normal winter routine on round the buoys outside the club, or a longer distance race down or up river depending on tide and wind. That will continue through to late March. There is of course a special event held on Boxing day, but what that will be this year is anyone's guess with the covid situation..

I've sailed yeoman for 20 years and was class chairman for a few years..

We are in 103 in the front page picture with my compatriot at the helm about to take to long way round the buoy..
    http://www.yeomankinsman.org.uk/yeoman/yeoman.shtm

If the helm of 103 recovers from his injuries, we'll go back to sailing that every winter, with me helming the light wind races while he helms the windy stuff. I'll then sail Blue Moon in the Summer, while he goes off to sail his Solo..

Well, nothing done on the boat this weekend, to much other things to do, I did get some wiring done in the garage, so the first new light is up, a 4 ft LED batten over the lathe area.. works well..

The Yeoman Nationals were cancelled due to 40+mph winds forecast... They were going to be postponed till next weekend, but now England is in Lockdown for November...

This time I won't get furloughed due to my medical conditions, but neither will I get laid off, as I work for an essential business.

I am however getting to the end of my leave year and most weekends till Christmas are going to be 3 days as it's use it or lose it..
    I really do want to get on with some boat work..

Today is Remembrance Sunday, I should be at the Sailing club, lowering the club Flags for the 11:00 silence, but for the first time in 20 years due to lock down, I won't be doing that. Normally the club members would assemble on the quay in front of the club for the silence.

We Will Remember Them.
    poppy_in_wheat_field_1170x461.jpg

On the Kohima Memorial , it says..

When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Finally did a little work on the boat, I backed off the keel bolts holding the lead lump on to the wooden stub keel, filled the gap between with thick bonding resin, and then wound it all back up again. The keel is unfortunately lying on it's side so I was only able to form a fillet on the top side and scrape off excess on the bottom side.

Next week the great adventure of getting 150 KG off the work bench and down to the floor, then fillet the other side..

Meanwhile also the workshop got it's internal doors that work, but are not finished yet and the power wiring has been extended 3/4 the way round the shop. Just the bit behind the workbench to do to complete the ring and a socket back there for the radio, when the keel is moved out of the way..
    After that general lighting wiring and switches need installing.
    Last edited by The Q; 11-16-2020 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Today is Remembrance Sunday, I should be at the Sailing club, lowering the club Flags for the 11:00 silence, but for the first time in 20 years due to lock down, I won't be doing that. Normally the club members would assemble on the quay in front of the club for the silence.

We Will Remember Them.
    poppy_in_wheat_field_1170x461.jpg

On the Kohima Memorial , it says..

When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Very moving.

Thank You Johngandusky,
    I'm from a military Family. Most generations have had several persons who have served,
    Myself and wife,
    My Dad, and three of his 4 brothers, the uncle the other side was a policeman..
    Both Grandfathers and most of their brothers . Those who weren't were often in things like the Merchant Navy or in a reserved occupation down the mines, or maintaining railway track during wartime....

As to this weekends work on the boat,

The adventure of lowering the keel from work bench to the floor was carried out, I think the workbench sighed in relief..
    it wasn't elegant and had a few problems, but was achieved without damage to keel , me or anything else.

Of course the fittings I was waiting for, arrived the day after it was lowered, so it was just ropes and blocks to a roof beam.., I've decided for comfort, It needs another reduction in load on the operator, so this week I'll see if I can work out a method to add another turn round a block or two..

There is a proper mounting rail for the lifting tackle now fitted to the roof beams with load spread between them and reinforced. I've put my weight on it and there wasn't even a creak from anything..

More wiring was carried out so 2 of the 3 LED battens are now working from their switches in their correct places, one has still to be fitted, but I haven't fitted that part of the ceiling yet, about 1/2 of the ceiling is now clad and insulated with fibreglass.. I've run out of OSB, and with the Land rover in for an engine repair, I can't carry full sheets. So because the DIY sheds are also not cutting timber at the moment, that's on hold..

So the keel was then moved on the floor, I can "Walk" It by moving one end at a time, It's sitting nicely on it's bottom even though the keel bolts are still sticking out a little more than they should. The second side was filleted between Stub keel and lead lump.

Next week I should clean that up and then start fibreglassing it all. It only needs a couple for water protection of the wood, but several to join the wood to the lead lump to make sure cracks don't appear under load..