Thread: One for the gearheads,Paragon gear.

Default One for the gearheads,Paragon gear.

Time for a fluid change on the old p200.
    Normally takes dexron 3 mercon. The synthetic version is Detron VI. It's supposed to be better, compatable and not an issue switching over. Any thoughts?

Default Re: One for the gearheads,Paragon gear.

Others may have different opinions, but I know in engines, switching from conventional to Synthetic can loosen up dirt - requiring a couple of extra oil changes at reduced intervals (instead of 3K miles, do 2 @ 1K each, then go to the synthetic normal 5K.

Of course reverse gear runs a lot cooler, so it may not have the same issues. I do wonder how well the clutches designed to work with regular Dexron will do with the newer style. Also VI is lower viscosity - dunno how that could affect things.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Supposedly at operating temp they balance out. At least in a car.

Mariner... what do you know about PARAGON? I have 2 marine gearboxes that came attached to my Perkins 4108's.

Tried but failed to find my photo of the serial number plate. Any info would be greatly appreciated...all I found online was a few websites saying they went bust.

Thanks..

Martin.

IMG_20190124_215414_0.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

Maybe I've got this wrong, but my recall of the Paragon gear is that its mechanical, not hydraulic as above? I seem to remember a simple clutch and reverse was strange, had to hold pressure on the lever. Or did Paragon make both mechanical and hydraulic gears? NedL?
    Last edited by Boatsbgood; 02-21-2021 at 10:11 PM.

I had a 4 108 that originally had a paragon. Different boat. I changed to a Borg Warner. The paragon had been neglected. Could have been saved.
    On paragons on general, I think there are a few manuals online. I'll check my notes. If I can find any I'll pm you. Might take a day or two.

Hi , I had both paragon and Borg Warner on a 4 108.
    You may want to connect with Trans Atlantic Diesel in virginia. They've been very helpful to me in the past. By far the cheapest for parts also. They could identify it, I'm sure.

I wouldn't take advice from an oil company on compatibility. They are pushing product.
    I managed to get hold of Caltex ATF Dex III for my Borg Warner gearbox.
    It is mineral based and was the closest thing that I could find to the original spec oil.
    A local marine mechanic advised this as well.
    I think the fluid clutches are what demand the oil spec not the hydraulic/mechanical part of the gearbox.
    The confusing thing is that if you are running high HP engines, the advice is to run SAE 30 engine oil not hydraulic fluid. That is still a special mineral oil though.
    I went around in circles online trying to nail down a suitable oil that was available in NZ.
    I think I ended up on that Trans Atlantic Diesel website at one point and they had some good advice.
    In Oz, Penrite do a "classic ATF fluid" that is the exact product required.

I have a Perkins 4-107 with a mechanical Paragon, from about 1966. It uses motor oil. I contacted the successor to Paragon a few years ago, they were polite but didn't have much information for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    Maybe I've got this wrong, but my recall of the Paragon gear is that its mechanical, not hydraulic as above? I seem to remember a simple clutch and reverse was strange, had to hold pressure on the lever. Or did Paragon make both mechanical and hydraulic gears? NedL?
    Yes, Paragon made both mechanical and hydraulic reverse gears. They were in Taunton Massachusetts, and went out of business probably a good 30 years ago. To my knowledge no one "bought them out" and continued the line under a different name, they are just,..... gone.

I have emailed Trans Atlantic Diesel in Virginia, thank you Mariner for the pm..

I think the one on my westerbeke was a P44. 2.5 to 1.
    They made a lot of them.