Thread: Steaming and resorcinol

Default Steaming and resorcinol

Quite a few times I have had scarfs or plugs in planks that I wanted to re- steam. I know that Epoxy will come apart doing this. Will resorcinal hold under steam? It is boil proof is it not?

Resorcinol is pretty rigid. If you are going to steam a piece with a resorcinol scarf in it and bend it more (or less), I'm not sure the resorcinol is going to survive the bending.

Might be worth making up some test pieces and do some experimentation.

And yes, epoxy starts weakening c. 140 deg F.

https://sciencing.com/effects-high-t...y-8590977.html

Which doesn't mean it will fail. And, I believe that once it cools down, it returns to its former state.

Again, make some test pieces and experiment.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Steaming and resorcinol

Resorcinol is boil proof, it is the adhesive that was used in WBP Marine plywood.
    Do as the other Nicholas recommends and do some test pieces.
    When testing the epoxy, clamp a caul over the feather edges to prevent them from lifting and creeping when hot.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Unless you have pressurized steam it should hold up.

I have a chopping board that is made from resorcinol laminated wood that was an offcut from a benchtop I installed in 1990. It has been through probably thousands of very hot dishwashing cycles since then, and is fine, so I too say it will probably hold up.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Is it true that epoxy regains its hardness once it cools down? I've always assumed that it is permanently ruined once heated.

The spars on Drake were glued up in the’40s. Resourcinal. Still totally sound.

No steaming though.

Default Steaming and resorcinol

Quote Originally Posted by adamarthurryan View Post
    Is it true that epoxy regains its hardness once it cools down? I've always assumed that it is permanently ruined once heated.

It's a plastic. Unless you heat it beyond the point of no return you're good.

That's how you recycle milk bottles. They get melted and turned back into pellets, which get sold back to milk bottle manufacturers, where they melted and blow-moulded into... milk bottles.

[Pro tip: more energy efficient to require them to be made of glass and reusable, and put a deposit on them. Transport, washing and reusing glass bottles is cheaper and better for the climate than the lifecycle of plastic bottles:

The have to be transported, washed, then melted, turned in to beads, transported, melted, blown into bottles, transported, ...

But I digress.]
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)