Thread: Drill offset

Default Drill offset

I need to drill a hole next to a stud. I知 going to need a right angle drill to get into the space. Since I知 buying a new tool, I was trying to compare models based on how close I can get to a vertical surface. That is, what is the on center spacing between the center if the drill bit and the edge of the chuck (or tool). For my purpose, the closer the better.

Is there a proper name for this measurement?

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Drill offset

1/2 diameter of chuck or 1/2 d minus 1/2 d of drill

A short drill bit can help here.

Tom, The two rt angle drills I have handy Are both 7/8” to the center of the chuck to the end of the tool. That’s the closest they will drill parallel to a surface. The drills are a Milwaukee m12 rt angle 2415 20 with a 3/8” chuck and a corded Milwaukee drill with “Tu speed” rt angle attachment. The m12 will get you through a stud with non self feed bit . How big? How patient are you and how many batteries you got? The corded Milwaukee will spin you (me ) around and keep going. Longer bits can get you closer. Coming in from both sides can work. Plumbing ? Electrical? John

https:// amazon
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 07-27-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks everyone. I was actually looking at the Milwaukee corded. It's at a local pawn shop.

I'm installing these. It looks like they are 1" oc.

I do have one of those right angle attachments somewhere. Will need to check it.

And welcome John!

Screenshot_20200726-225149.jpg
    Last edited by bluedog225; 07-27-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Hehe!

Default Drill offset

If you need to get into an inside corner as close as you can, you'll be wanting a Festool drill with its eccentric/offset chuck.

And if Festool is too rich for your blood, Bosch now has a similar rig (Festool's patent must have expired.) Saw it at Lowe's just this weekend.

[edited to note: Milwaukee now has a similar M12 setup: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Screwdrivers/2505-20]. Like I said, Festool's patent must have expired.

Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 07-27-2020 at 02:06 AM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Nice tool. Thanks

Go to:

www.aircraftspruce.com

click on Tools, then Drilling Equipment, then Kits.

They have a right angle attachment that fits into your existing drill chuck that is extremely close quarters.
    I have an ancient brass one that everybody who saw it wanted one, and found these, which are plastic on Aircraft Spruce.

I would have posted a picture but am running out the door to a broken boat.

Fwiw when boat-building and not thinking quite far enough ahead this has come up more than once.
    My solution was to use a 1/4-3/8 socket wrench universal joint brazed to (or the drill bit ground square to fit) and a block of wood clamped in place with an exact pilot hole to support the drill bit. I made them up as needed maybe once every couple of years... This came up for me the first time with a centerboard case that was made (with predrilled holes) on the bench. The 3/8" holes were about 1/2" from the vertical sides of the case...With the logs on top of the case preventing any access from above to drill through the keel.
    Anyway; It works a treat, there's your boatbuilding tip for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I need to drill a hole next to a stud. I知 going to need a right angle drill to get into the space. Since I知 buying a new tool, I was trying to compare models based on how close I can get to a vertical surface. That is, what is the on center spacing between the center if the drill bit and the edge of the chuck (or tool). For my purpose, the closer the better.

Is there a proper name for this measurement?

Thanks

Tom
    What material are you trying to drill into?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

It’s a bunch of 5/8 holes through a double top plate (wood). I like the idea of the flexible connector for smaller stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    It’s a bunch of 5/8 holes through a double top plate (wood). I like the idea of the flexible connector for smaller stuff.
    Short length of red-hot steel goes through timber like it was butter - easy.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

These are really good, I use mine fairly often

C5761948-CEC2-4426-B8F6-C29C0E1789C4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    These are really good, I use mine fairly often

C5761948-CEC2-4426-B8F6-C29C0E1789C4.jpg
    I have the DeWalt version of same. It痴 offset is about 1.

There are long flex drill bits used by electricians to drill a hole 2-3 feet deep in a wall. Their flex could enable drilling parallel to the stud.

For house work I have many times just drilled a slightly larger hole at an angle- done

That’s not a bad idea. A larger hole will not matter much in this application. When it cools off, I’ll get up there do some figuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Fwiw when boat-building and not thinking quite far enough ahead this has come up more than once.
    My solution was to use a 1/4-3/8 socket wrench universal joint brazed to (or the drill bit ground square to fit) and a block of wood clamped in place with an exact pilot hole to support the drill bit. I made them up as needed maybe once every couple of years... This came up for me the first time with a centerboard case that was made (with predrilled holes) on the bench. The 3/8" holes were about 1/2" from the vertical sides of the case...With the logs on top of the case preventing any access from above to drill through the keel.
    Anyway; It works a treat, there's your boatbuilding tip for the day!
    I was brought up on the sanctity of tools, but lately I also have vandalized socket universe joints, ground drill chuck to socket adaptors, and other abominations when the alternative was unknown time online or on the road looking for the correct whatzits. grunt, "Me human, me modify tool, do damn job, put replacement tool on longer-term shopping list....

Ken